CFShipModel 1/150th Nina

sadbaby.gif

Well thats me at present, I had mishap after mishad working on Nina today. Most fixable but one huge blunder will most likely
cause me to have to remake the main deck. Ya see it had a little bow on the sides from staining I think, curled upwards like. So
brainiac me grabs the Admirals iron, fills it with water and plugs it in. The idea worked great, it smoothed it right out BUT I left
the iron on it for weight and I really shoulda known better. The heat didnt bother it but since I neglected to turn off the steam
all the water came out soaking the deck, counter, and floor.I didn't know until the oldest son asked why the floor is all wet.
Suffice to say while it is flattened out it's also coming apart.

I'll have to look tomorrow and see if it can be salvaged or if I should start anew.......

And since you all like pics, I didn't take any but I will give you this, it fits my personality:

nobothergiven.jpg

No real update this week as I really haven't done anything.......... at all this week.
My depression kicked into high gear and I just lost all ambition to do anything.
Maybe tomorrow I'll give making a new deck a shot, maybe I wont. Id rather follow you guys
anyhow. Im just not that good at this stuff.

Gonna go watch a movie with the wife then see from there.

I did figure one thing out this week though. I took to this site so fast and hard because I have no friends in real life.
They all fell to the side the years I was sick as hell just in bed. 5 years of that, now Im about some and messing with
cars and models again but I have no friends to talk with. I see you guys as my real actual friends.

Eh, Im out for a bit. Sorry gang.

Hey ya'll,

Well another week later and Im in a much better head. I dont have any photo's for you all yet, but I have begun slowly
planking the hull with paper thin walnut planks. They are laser cut straight and while the char makes a good caulk line, it sure
doesn't lend well to planks laying tightly together. I'll remedy that with glue on the backside of them when I lightly sand the hull.
It should trap enough sanding dust to fill in the tiny cracks I see.

As far as the deck goes, it seems kinda ok but I've decided to redo it. I can make a better, nicer one. I need the practice anyhow :)

Thanks for looking in!

No real update this week as I really haven't done anything.......... at all this week.
My depression kicked into high gear and I just lost all ambition to do anything.
Maybe tomorrow I'll give making a new deck a shot, maybe I wont. Id rather follow you guys
anyhow. Im just not that good at this stuff.

Gonna go watch a movie with the wife then see from there.

I did figure one thing out this week though. I took to this site so fast and hard because I have no friends in real life.
They all fell to the side the years I was sick as hell just in bed. 5 years of that, now Im about some and messing with
cars and models again but I have no friends to talk with. I see you guys as my real actual friends.

Eh, Im out for a bit. Sorry gang.
Hey, I appreciate the encouragement and tips you've shared with me so far.

Hey gents,

Well not much to report as it's been one thing after another for me around here. I did manage to get some time in this evening, cutting, installing,
and glueing up 3 more bulkheads ( Yeah me ). I haven't done bulkhead #7 yet as it has lasered in veritical planks to simulate a wall. I'd rather scratch
a real planked wall in it's place, just like I want to replace both decks with actual planking. I was thinking of cutting up an old 2x3 of pine to procure
planking materials. What do you guys think? I also have sheet basswood somewhere.... lol

Ok, a few pics.

View attachment 163315

This is part #7

View attachment 163316

Oh, and a couple of the boys helping me.

View attachment 163317

Leroy Jethro Gibbs left, Hades on the right.

For now Im going to sit back and wait for wifey to get home. I hope I can get some time tomorrow to start messing with part 7.

Clair
Lucky you with cats to paw the work. My young Lab cannot resist taking up the treat to chew upon, along with plants, rocks from our yard ponds, fallen leaves and Maple seeds. . . it never seems to end except in passing ;-) PT-2

Lucky you with cats to paw the work. My young Lab cannot resist taking up the treat to chew upon, along with plants, rocks from our yard ponds, fallen leaves and Maple seeds. . . it never seems to end except in passing ;-) PT-2
OOPPSSS! That last message added a fun stripe bounding me from my actual E-5 to an SoS fun E-6 First Class. Guess that just shows that I am spending too much time on the keyboard and not on the build. PT-2 (still)

Well guys, I was going to wait until I got a few more on, but here is the progress so far.
Please keep in mind the scale Im throwing obsenities and curses at, she's very small and fiddley to work with.
These planks are 3mm by the thickness of an index card, very finicky to get then keep in possition.

20200813_194559.jpg20200813_194613.jpg20200813_194634.jpg

As you can see in the background, I have been tinkering with another small scale as well. I had a whole $15 left before I got payed in June so I
ordered one of those horrid 1/100 Halcon garbage kits off Ebay. It's off to a rocky start as the keel has more warp than Captain Kirk could ever
wish for. Kind of stuck there as no matter what I do it just wont straighten and stay straight.

Thats all I have for now, things have been extra special goofy here with my health issues, car work, and my oldest daughter getting ready to get
married and also buying a house with her future 1st mate.

Thanks for looking in, without encouragement it'd probably been in the firepit a few weeks ago. :p

The first planks look very good to me! They are butting up nicely against each other, are forming a good curvature and there are no gaps! Keep moving forward, Clair. One plank a day is also fine. Thumbs-Up

Back