CFShipModel 1/150th Nina

Well guys, I was going to wait until I got a few more on, but here is the progress so far.
Please keep in mind the scale Im throwing obsenities and curses at, she's very small and fiddley to work with.
These planks are 3mm by the thickness of an index card, very finicky to get then keep in possition.

View attachment 173279View attachment 173280View attachment 173281

As you can see in the background, I have been tinkering with another small scale as well. I had a whole $15 left before I got payed in June so I
ordered one of those horrid 1/100 Halcon garbage kits off Ebay. It's off to a rocky start as the keel has more warp than Captain Kirk could ever
wish for. Kind of stuck there as no matter what I do it just wont straighten and stay straight.

Thats all I have for now, things have been extra special goofy here with my health issues, car work, and my oldest daughter getting ready to get
married and also buying a house with her future 1st mate.

Thanks for looking in, without encouragement it'd probably been in the firepit a few weeks ago. :p
You’re about as funny as a rubber crutch in a polio ward.

The first planks look very good to me! They are butting up nicely against each other, are forming a good curvature and there are no gaps! Keep moving forward, Clair. One plank a day is also fine. Thumbs-Up
You must have put in the needed fairing of the bulkheads to get those smooth plank lines. Good job. . . big or small the devil is in the details. PT-2

Well guys, I was going to wait until I got a few more on, but here is the progress so far.
Please keep in mind the scale Im throwing obsenities and curses at, she's very small and fiddley to work with.
These planks are 3mm by the thickness of an index card, very finicky to get then keep in possition.

View attachment 173279View attachment 173280View attachment 173281

As you can see in the background, I have been tinkering with another small scale as well. I had a whole $15 left before I got payed in June so I
ordered one of those horrid 1/100 Halcon garbage kits off Ebay. It's off to a rocky start as the keel has more warp than Captain Kirk could ever
wish for. Kind of stuck there as no matter what I do it just wont straighten and stay straight.

Thats all I have for now, things have been extra special goofy here with my health issues, car work, and my oldest daughter getting ready to get
married and also buying a house with her future 1st mate.

Thanks for looking in, without encouragement it'd probably been in the firepit a few weeks ago. :p
Clair, is that one of those baby clothes pins on the bow?

Freinds, Roman, Countryfolk, lend me your eyes... Or a doller, or 10

Well I think it's getting close to a week and here is the 4am because I cant sleep update:

I have finished planking the hull in the paper thin strips of walnut ( I think, not sure cept it's brown ) a couple
nights ago. After 2 days of automotive madness I have begun sanding and fairing the planks in. At first my plan
was to cover the inside of the hull with thinned down glue then sand, all the dust filling in the wee tiny gaps
between. That was working so so, then I thought what the heck, I have a few extra strips just in case soooo...
I started mopping on the way too watered down glue on the outside with a Q tip. Let it dry a good 10 minutes
or so and lightly sand some more. Thats working much better so far.

I know, you cant see anything even though I asked for your eyes... Well it's 4am as I said, the admiral is sleeping
and if I even think of going up there to get my camera phone I'll be keel hauled till next Thursday. So photo's
will be incoming tomorrow sometime after my beauty nap. But fear not good people, you will get to see my
planking in all it's horror.

Until then ( well even after that really or you wont see when its done ),
Stay safe and stay healthy,

Clair

Freinds, Roman, Countryfolk, lend me your eyes... Or a doller, or 10

Well I think it's getting close to a week and here is the 4am because I cant sleep update:

I have finished planking the hull in the paper thin strips of walnut ( I think, not sure cept it's brown ) a couple
nights ago. After 2 days of automotive madness I have begun sanding and fairing the planks in. At first my plan
was to cover the inside of the hull with thinned down glue then sand, all the dust filling in the wee tiny gaps
between. That was working so so, then I thought what the heck, I have a few extra strips just in case soooo...
I started mopping on the way too watered down glue on the outside with a Q tip. Let it dry a good 10 minutes
or so and lightly sand some more. Thats working much better so far.

I know, you cant see anything even though I asked for your eyes... Well it's 4am as I said, the admiral is sleeping
and if I even think of going up there to get my camera phone I'll be keel hauled till next Thursday. So photo's
will be incoming tomorrow sometime after my beauty nap. But fear not good people, you will get to see my
planking in all it's horror.

Until then ( well even after that really or you wont see when its done ),
Stay safe and stay healthy,

Clair
Sleep well, my friend.

Ahhhh yes, pictures I promissed padawan. Ok so things have been busier around here than 2 drunken monkeys trying to get it on with a greased football in zero gravity, and I lost 2 days in a row being sickly ( sucks, totalled 4 days this week shot in the arse with health bs). However, I was up all night... again.... listening to https://www.youtube.com/c/Drachinifel and sanding away on Nina.

I can report she is ready for whales and decks now. I think, maybe you guys may see where it needs tidied up here or there but Im thinking it's "passable". It's no where near perfect, but the planks all go in the same general direction this time :p

I hear ya, I hear ya, so Im shuttin my pie hole and on with the pics:

20200823_062954.jpg20200823_063059.jpg20200823_063147.jpg20200823_063211.jpg20200823_063243.jpg20200823_063843.jpg

That pic is to show just how wafer thin these planks are. Ghesh... Dont ask about the brown and I wont make fart jokes.. LOL It's some left over paint
from when I remodelled our main floor bathroom. Yeah that was a 3 month project with being sick all the time, looks good these days though.

This last pic is something I wont be able to post much more of. :(20200823_063505.jpg

My youngest daughter and her 2 friends are getting their own place next week, so she'll be taking my little shadow Hades with her. Im gonna miss this little booger, he's sitting on my mouse pad watching the screen as I type this. Nozo, Leroy, and Miss Gray are great, but this lil one stole my heart I tell ya. Im even gonna miss him swatting at my hand while Im trying to sand because he wants pettins :)

The little things in life are what make it all worth it.

Hope everyone is doing good, hopefully have some more progress to show next weekend!

Nina's planking looks great Clair! She is indeed turning into a pretty ballerina! And now you have me probably spending a sleepless night thinking about you and little Hades. I would go as far as to say that it is only the little things that make life worthwhile, so I am with you on this one. However, just make sure that Hades visits often and/or you visit often.

Nice going @Clair G ....that pic of cute little Hades is priceless... He is watching your progress like a hawk, ready to pounce at the first sign of anyone saying anything bad about your work. Treasure the moments with him.

Ahhhh yes, pictures I promissed padawan. Ok so things have been busier around here than 2 drunken monkeys trying to get it on with a greased football in zero gravity, and I lost 2 days in a row being sickly ( sucks, totalled 4 days this week shot in the arse with health bs). However, I was up all night... again.... listening to https://www.youtube.com/c/Drachinifel and sanding away on Nina.

I can report she is ready for whales and decks now. I think, maybe you guys may see where it needs tidied up here or there but Im thinking it's "passable". It's no where near perfect, but the planks all go in the same general direction this time :p

I hear ya, I hear ya, so Im shuttin my pie hole and on with the pics:

View attachment 174798View attachment 174799View attachment 174800View attachment 174801View attachment 174802View attachment 174803

That pic is to show just how wafer thin these planks are. Ghesh... Dont ask about the brown and I wont make fart jokes.. LOL It's some left over paint
from when I remodelled our main floor bathroom. Yeah that was a 3 month project with being sick all the time, looks good these days though.

This last pic is something I wont be able to post much more of. :(View attachment 174804

My youngest daughter and her 2 friends are getting their own place next week, so she'll be taking my little shadow Hades with her. Im gonna miss this little booger, he's sitting on my mouse pad watching the screen as I type this. Nozo, Leroy, and Miss Gray are great, but this lil one stole my heart I tell ya. Im even gonna miss him swatting at my hand while Im trying to sand because he wants pettins :)

The little things in life are what make it all worth it.

Hope everyone is doing good, hopefully have some more progress to show next weekend!
What did you use to fill in the cracks? Sawdust? I can’t see doing much splicing at that small a scale.

You see the old pill bottle in the background? I took a section of unused plank and a drum sander in my cheap Harbor Freight Dremel wanna be,
Held the tool in one hand, plank in the other but held them down in the pill bottle and turned it on. Most of the sawdust went straight down into the bottle, which I used to fill cracks.

On the inside of the hull I used water thinned wood glue applied with a Q tip, then sanded lightly on the hull outside. Then any remaining cracks were filled by straight wood glue applied with the tip of a toothpick, then some of the sandings from the pill bottle dumped on. I pushed the dust down gently and moved it around some, then returning the excess to the bottle. After drying and a little sanding the cracks were gone...

All except the one I happen to be sitting on anyhow :p

Back