Charles Royal Yacht, 1674, Scale 1:64, by Woody Joe (Japan)

@donfarr Thanks to being part of this log, Don. Everything is OK and I continue building Charles Yacht. It just my regular work what makes forum activity to delay. I will try to post cannons (as promised) this week.

Thanks all for the interest!! :)

@md1400cs Thanks, Michael! Soldering is not hard, at all. It is all about learning to control temperature. You have to find the right temperature when the solder melts and move the torch (flame) to a spot where you need. You will see the melted solder follow your flame!! Another success for happy soldering is tight joints. Before even turn on the torch, make sure everything as tight as possible (no spaces)! Start with a larger diameter wire just to feel...

Cannons

Hello fellow modelers. As always, I would like to thank all of you who made an interest in this building log, for your encouraging comments and likes. :)

Today we are making cannons. Woody Joe provides well-made but much-simplified cannon carriages. All parts are laser cut (except the barrels) and require some cleaning and gluing together.

IMG_0312.jpeg

Wheels, however, will require special attention. They need to be rounded first. Here how I do it:

• Find a drill bit with the same diameter as the inside hole in the wheel. Assemble all the wheels along the drill, and put the CA glue on the first and last wheel making sure all the wheels tight (* you may use scrap wood for the first and the last placeholders, we need them just to hold the rest of the wheels).
IMG_0313.jpeg IMG_0315.jpeg

• Put the entire assembly in the power tool of your choice, here I used my Dremel.
  • Use 500grit sandpaper on an even\flat surface. Turn ON the tool and sand the entire assembly controlling the level and pressure slightly moving. Turn off and check. If blanks where originally a good quality, you will not require much sanding. It has to be round!
IMG_0316.jpeg IMG_0317.jpeg

Bellow is the assembled cannon carriages as by Woodie Joe. They are not bad and most-likely will suffice most of us.

IMG_0318.jpeg
…but the kit suggested painting! Everything was great until the word ‘paint’. I decided to make my own. I use my wood stock and using the table saw cut all the steps\groves.

IMG_1995.jpegIMG_1994.jpegIMG_1997.jpeg

Once I satisfied with the shape, I sliced them for individual pieces.

IMG_1999.jpeg

I made track axles from a square blank 2 x 2 mm. To make them round, I cut a piece of brass tube and shape it like a cutter. Then, tighten the cutter in my Dremel tool, and while rotating moved one end of the square blanks in the tool until having the right length. Then switch to another end.

IMG_0321.jpeg IMG_0322.jpeg IMG_0319.jpeg

To be continued....

Attachments

• IMG_1998.jpeg
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 20
@BigMike and @DenisR Thank you, mates! I use brass tubing as it widely available in various diameters (easy to find). A much better Ideya to use steel tubes, they can hold the sharp edge longer. Edge should be sharp to cut, otherwise, it will burn the wood. You may need to experiment with sharpening, I use a disk cutter.

I shall continue. Woodie doesn't provide ready-made capsquare, I also didn't find material in the kit to make one. It was evident that I have to make one. I found some leftover strips from photoetch freet (when building plastic ships). Using two steel blanks I made a jig to bent capsquare. First, a measured the trunnion diameter and find drillbit and steel road. Then, I tighten together both steel blank in a wise and drill the hole right in between so it makes exact half on each of the blanks. using one of the halves CA steel rod to make a die. It works pretty simply:
On the second half (without the rod), place the strip of the desired size aligning the center of the gutter. Cover with the second half ( matrix) and clamp tightly in a vise. Unclench and get capsquare. Oh...yes, you would have to blacken it. capsquare eyebolt and joint bolt made out of steel loop.

IMG_2025.jpeg

Then I made a gun tackle loop, breeching ringbolt and train tackle loop. I have discussed how to make various ringbolts in the previous post: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-64-by-woody-joe-japan.2636/page-8#post-49831

IMG_2001.jpegIMG_2008.jpegIMG_2017.jpeg
The real challenge where the blocks gun tackle loop. With the size of the gun and scale, it should be 1.5mm-2mm. I source some from e-bay but work with those is a nightmare! But for the most part, I managed them all. I made a simple jig to lay breeching rope and tackles.

IMG_2133.jpegIMG_2197.jpegIMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_2132.jpegIMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpegIMG_0324.jpegIMG_0326.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

This is how she looks now. Happy weekend everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpeg
    IMG_2015.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2250 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2250 (1).jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 33
Greetings mates! As always, thank you for the comments and attention to building log! it is much appreciated. This will be just a small update and we will talk about Thimbles.
a. A metal ring fitted in an eye of a sail to prevent chafing.
b. A metal ring around which a rope splice is passed.

I know at least a few methods to make Thimbles but have only succeeded with the one I will describe. I use brass tubing and my Proxonn lathe. Everything else is just a matter of experience and repetition.

First, I made a channel using one of my cutting tools made out of 0-1 steel (kudos to @Maarten ) who show us a video to make small chisels. While tube still in the chuck, I bevel one of the sides using round bur.

IMG_0103.jpeg IMG_0102.jpeg

Using the jewelry's wise and saw I cut out the thimble.

IMG_0111.jpeg

I bevel the second side of the thimble using the rotary tool and round bur.

IMG_0108.jpeg

Here the results

IMG_0105.jpeg IMG_0110.jpeg IMG_0112.jpeg

See you soon and happy modeling!!

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 15
Back