Charles Royal Yacht, 1674, Scale 1:64, by Woody Joe (Japan)

Thanks all for your birthday wishes, they are much appreciated. However, time flies when you're having fun! Today I will continue our build with a bowsprit.

Recall, Woody Joe provided material (dowels) for the mast, spars, and bowsprit. The wood look's like poplar or similar kind. A sample varnishing with Lensed oil didn't change the color, and I was not convinced enough to use it. So I use Pearwood and black hornbeam (the same color scheme as I use for mast). In fact, I use the same technique to glue all 3 parts together before turning on the lathe.

It seems that to glue all three parts is not difficult. However, it is worth noting that this is not entirely true. As with the gluing of the mast, I used a steel bar to impart integrity and strength when machining on a lathe. I begin by punching the center on all the mating parts and drilled a hole for the steel bar. Then, using a cutting disc and a Dremel, made notches for better contact with the glue.

* Note: each hole was countersunk with ball bur. This is necessary for the glue to escape when both parts glue together

IMG_0409.JPEG

Then, using medium viscosity CA glue, I glued a steel bar to the base of the bowsprit (pear tree). Before gluing both blanks together, I apply the PVA on the whole steel bar, leaving only 5 mm from the top, for which I apply CA glue and quickly glue both parts together. This method allows you to glue without clamps. CA glue holds all parts together while PVA drys.

IMG_0410.JPEG IMG_0408.jpeg

Once the entire piece dried, I prepare for turning on the lathe. But the end of the bowsprit should be square, so I shape the correct size using a flat surface and sanding paper.

IMG_0178.JPEG IMG_0179.JPEG IMG_0180.JPEG

Flagshotok knee made out of Ebony and attached to the bowsprit using wooden trenails.

IMG_0182.JPEG IMG_0184.JPEG IMG_0183.JPEG

IMG_0196.JPEG IMG_0187.JPEG IMG_0195.JPEG

The last piece to the puzzle is Gammoning saddles made out of Ebony, and then cut using my miniature saw

IMG_0198.JPEG IMG_0199.JPEG

In conclusion, the bowsprit was assembled and put in place as a fitting.

IMG_0476.jpeg IMG_0477.jpeg IMG_0478.jpeg IMG_0479.jpeg

See you soon mates!!

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPEG
    IMG_0189.JPEG
    78.2 KB · Views: 26
Hi Knut, and thank you for the compliments. I have not made this saw myself, I bought the kit (saw handle + 3 replacement blades and spacers) on eBay from the Czech Republic. Miniature miter saws I acquired from MicroMark. You can cut both: wood and light metals (copper, brass). When purchasing replacing blades, make sure they labeled JLC (Libor Kopecek). There are similar blades and they can fit the saw, but they not as good quality.

IMG_0480.jpeg

Thanks for the birthday wishes Nigel!!! Actually, I did use Ebony for flagshotok knee and gammoning saddles, the bowsprit was made in a combination of black hornbeam (black grab in Russian) and Pear. But you are absolutely correct Ebony and Pearwood - perfect combination!

With a little late ... Just a month and a half! :p I'm still happy to congratulate you Jim on your birthday! All the best and everything you want !!!
Managed to view the latest photos. You work very carefully! Handsomely!

With a little late ... Just a month and a half! :p I'm still happy to congratulate you Jim on your birthday! All the best and everything you want !!
Thank you, Andrey! It is never too late wishing good things to each other (as long as you want it)!!! Wishing you on belated birthday (April 13th) lots of happiness, health, and joy! I wish you can please us with your skills and new models for at least another 60 years.

As all said - super nice work and a great combination of woods.
@md1400cs Thanks, Michael! Personally, I love this combination of wood and it is 'classic' among modelers from all over the world. In Russia, black hornbeam is a very popular substitution (in some way) to Ebony. I ordered mine from @bibigon (Sergey). He sents his wood internationally.

Just a quick word...fantastic build! I traveled to Japan and picked up this kit, and it’s the next project on my list. You are doing a brilliant job and giving me tons of ideas.

Great work! Will continue to follow with great interest!

Back