More progress, though I forgot to take some photos along the way.
I first installed the waterways and left the stern piece slightly proud of the stern as instructed. I had to re-bend in a couple places to reduce stress but there wasn't much drama here.
Side note: I did
not have good luck with CA working (to spot attach) even after cleaning both surfaces. Does walnut not play well with CA? Gradually attaching/clamping with wood glue worked fine.
I then dry fit/planed/sanded/installed the lower bulwarks to meet the upper hull planking. This was a little tricky in places, esp. at the stern and its short and curvy hull profile. Although I confirmed my first hull plank was placed correctly (at least according to the light instructions), these adjustments resulted in the fore end of the starboard bulwark being shorter than the port side. After some measuring and homework, life was good as I needed to reduce both sides to get to a scale height of about 11mm.
The rake of my transom, which I determined mostly from the profile of the deck/planking/waterway angle came out fine. This too was typically modest on working boats. The transom piece as provided was much wider and clearly followed AL's wide and square design so I cut off quite a bit of it. I also placed it in between the bulwarks, not on the end as instructed.
The as-cut sheer of the bulwarks first through me for a curve

, before doing a little research. My rookie assumption was the height was consistent bow to stern (and it shows like this on the plan) but in fact, these working boats were often designed with shorter bulwark heights as you move to midships and their tallest points were at the bow (for added protection from sea spray). Also, the stern was almost never square so I feel even better about that relative to the plan's square design, mentioned previously.


Finally, before I get too far, I also gave some thought to how I'll finish the boat. The kit is designed and shows "museum" build with natural finishes and no paint. However, my deck finish definitely gives me a worn look, which is currently leading me to a hybrid of paint and natural finishes. Red hulls have been mentioned and I think that would look pretty sharp. More on this as I progress.
Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know but I'm happy to make progress.