Colchester Smack

Beam shelf and sheer strakes installed both sides and I'm just starting to dowel along the length. I found a source of ready made 1mm dowel on-line from Cornwall Model Boats which makes life a lot easier than having to make it! You can see a length on top of the hull.

DSC_0003.JPG

External planking in place. It is pretty rough but I always planned to fill and paint the exterior in traditional colours so I'm just happy to have got to this stage in my rather glacial build. In my defence I have also been teaching myself how to cover traditional car seats in leather for my 1930 Singer Six! Next step is to decide whether to add dowels to the planks, although they shouldn't be necessary as I will be adding a marine epoxy to the inside to add further strength to the glue. If I do them I'll use 1mm copper wire so it will show slightly under the paint.

Six 4.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

That's looking really superb Colin! It's really good to see you back on stream. My build has come to a complete stop, so I'm glad you're continuing to keep the working boat in the headlights. Speaking of which, great job on the upholstery, did you have to buy a heavy duty industrial sewing machine?

I have filled and faired the hull as planned and painted the interior with West System epoxy. I have bought an aerosol wood primer on line so while waiting for that I have roughly cut out the deck beams to shape and glued the mast step to the keelson. As I don't have any scale plans I am using the proportional dividers to gauge elements from the book but as this is a generic boat I am also going with what looks OK. This is particularly true of the mast partner on deck as I need the mast to be bang on the centre line and vertical from the bow, but also have an appropriate rake from the side.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Back