Columbus ships, Santa Maria and Pinta, kit by Amati... [COMPLETED BUILD]

For my SM top, I have made a small bench I will use to position some figures and to hide all ropes under.. Not sure if it is historically correct but I need some place to properly mount few sailors..
Built out of few spare parts, shaped round to follow a middle diameter of a top, cut it in 1/3 and used first and third/3 in the top.

SantaMAria1174.jpg

SantaMAria1175.jpg

SantaMAria1176.jpg

Happy modelling..

Few more ship crew will be added to Santa Maria but first they have to be assembled and painted...

SantaMAria1177.jpg

SantaMAria1178.jpg

I used a new glue I stumbled across, it is specifically for gluing metal... so lets test it then...

The figures were assembled and cleaned out of all kind of burs then painted in grey base acrylic paint... Now, the real painting comes...

SantaMAria1179.jpg

SantaMAria11880.jpg

Happy modelling...

It's looking great. Did those figurines come with the kits? I am trying to find some for my HMS Sphinx model, but not sure where to look. I am trying to get the same scale as the ship.

Last edited:
It's looking great. Did those figurines come with the kits? I am trying to find some for my HMS Sphinx model, but not sure where to look. I am trying to get the same scale as the ship.
No, figures don't come with this model... I got them from Artesania Latina... and they are correct scale.

See if any of these links might provide some ideas but overall I think this segment (figures) are not quite covered with available items,,, for my greek bireme I had really hard time to allocate some decent figures...

https://www.modelerscentral.com/decorations/figurines/ - these guys a bit on an expensive side for my taste...

HTH

I was not quite happy with my previous rigging work and how blocks are attached so I did a bit of replacement and changed several blocks on my SM. I located a ropes that are more suitable for SM and since I will definitely stare into rigging if I don't replace them, I start removing and replacing existing rigging. Not all blocks, but just few attached to the main mast and main sail... No much work but the end result was more appealing to my eyes..

Here is the process of rigging a pair of blocks that were installed on main topgallant mast..

SantaMAria1181.jpg

SantaMAria1182.jpg

SantaMAria1183.jpg

SantaMAria1184.jpg

SantaMAria1185.jpg

The small amount of ropes hanging of blocks will be used to assist driving thru the main rigging rope; I am planning to try different way of installing rigging, by first finish up rigging on the deck, all with rope coils and then running it in the opposite direction, towards the sails and blocks. Not sure how this will make out but it is worth trying. In any case, the short rope will be used to pull the rigging rope thru, if my non-orthodox method does not work as expected..

Here is main topgallant sail and rigging on the topgallant mast..

SantaMAria1186.jpg

SantaMAria1187.jpg

SantaMAria1188.jpg

The main sail and mast were touched as well..

SantaMAria1189.jpg

SantaMAria1190.jpg

SantaMAria1191.jpg

SantaMAria1192.jpg

This kind of work sets me back a bit but I am still waiting for ropes I have ordered to finish with rigging so while waiting, lets make SM better looking model..

Happy modelling..

Good afternoon. Pinta looks marvellous and wonderful progress on the SM. They going to be a cool display together. Cheers Grant
Thank you GrantTyler... this is one of those things which will keep bothering you every time you look at it... so I had to replace few riggings... and I wanted to check some other rigging ways..

Cheers

The rigging of a main sail continues... by marking which lines goes where...

SantaMAria1198.jpg

Some installed rigging lines..

SantaMAria1199.jpg

SantaMAria1200.jpg

Coil rope added to the line..

SantaMAria1201.jpg

During rigging process, contrary to previous thinking, I have decided to go with regular assembly, not going from the rope coils up to the yard... So the rigging line was added to the block, pulled thru the blocks and ended up on the deck, with coil rope attached afterwards..
For this, the coil ropes are pre-fabricated and added to the rope and secured with small cloth pin..

SantaMAria1205.jpg

SantaMAria1206.jpg

Then it is mater of sliding them down the rigging line and secure with few CA drops...

SantaMAria1207.jpg

Similar approach here..

SantaMAria1202.jpg

SantaMAria1203.jpg

SantaMAria1204.jpg

Happy modelling.

The rigging of a main sail continues... by marking which lines goes where...

View attachment 432424

Some installed rigging lines..

View attachment 432423

View attachment 432422

Coil rope added to the line..

View attachment 432421

During rigging process, contrary to previous thinking, I have decided to go with regular assembly, not going from the rope coils up to the yard... So the rigging line was added to the block, pulled thru the blocks and ended up on the deck, with coil rope attached afterwards..
For this, the coil ropes are pre-fabricated and added to the rope and secured with small cloth pin..

View attachment 432417

View attachment 432416

Then it is mater of sliding them down the rigging line and secure with few CA drops...

View attachment 432415

Similar approach here..

View attachment 432420

View attachment 432419

View attachment 432418

Happy modelling.
Excellent.

Back