Columbus ships, Santa Maria and Pinta, kit by Amati... [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sometimes you just don't pay enough attention and mistakes happened...
This time I am correcting the way the mainsail is rigged by adding two missing blocks...

This alligator is helping keeping the rope strings straight so I can add seizing..

SantaMAria1220.jpg

Yes, it will be easier before mounting the sail, but... and two more blocks are added as well..

SantaMAria1221.jpg
SantaMAria1222.jpg

SantaMAria1223.jpg

Then continue with other rigging; not sure how AL was planning to have us adding these two ropes, the top one is OK but the bottom goes under the lower deck and it is hard to have it mounted right now... maybe there are some rooms for improvement when it comes to step by step guides..
The top one is easy to push thru; once the rope is pushed thru I grabbed the rope, pulled it outside and added two simple knots. Drop of CA assure knots will not go anywhere and then I pulled the rope back, so knots will keep in secured.. The second end will just need to be glued once rope is pushed in the ship..

SantaMAria1224.jpg

SantaMAria1225.jpg

Happy modelling.

The work continues preparing the foresail for attaching to the ship...by adding some rigging on the clew.

SantaMAria1237.jpg

SantaMAria1238.jpg

Once this is done, I started to work on mainsail stay, by adding two blocks that will hold fore braces. First I drag two lines through the stay...

SantaMAria1239.jpg

SantaMAria1240.jpg

.. then straightening them with little help from some weight...

SantaMAria1241.jpg

... and seizing with 10 loops.

SantaMAria1242.jpg

SantaMAria1243.jpg

Then I was adding blocks, by dropping small amount of CA glue on the rope and push block in. This allowed me to keep blocks in place while rope ends are put around block and secured with a simple knot. Another drop of CA secured knot in place. Excess rope was cut.

SantaMAria1244.jpg

Then the rigging line was added to the block with assistance of a tiny rope I used to pull thru the rigging line and seizing it after.

SantaMAria1245.jpg

SantaMAria1246.jpg

SantaMAria1247.jpg

And another small task was done as well...

SantaMAria1248.jpg

Happy modelling.

Well, signor Christofer arrived on the ship; does it means it is done?

SantaMAria1265.jpg

SantaMAria1264.jpg

SantaMAria1266.jpg

No, not yet... flags are next to be done, he is just inspecting the progress....

SantaMAria1263.jpg

SantaMAria1262.jpg

SantaMAria1267.jpg

But the crew is on board...

SantaMAria1269.jpg

SantaMAria1270.jpg

This pictures the scales very nicely...

SantaMAria1271.jpg

Hold on, what did you say? A land?

SantaMAria1272.jpg

SantaMAria1273.jpg

Happy modelling..

SantaMAria1268.jpg

Few more details...

SantaMAria1274.jpg

Ship is on pedestal now..

SantaMAria1275.jpg

At this moment I was worried about lights, maybe I accidentally cut some wires so had to do testing and likely, no cut wire... But the phone pictures are not sharp due to the amount of light available...

SantaMAria1276.jpg

SantaMAria1277.jpg

SantaMAria1278.jpg

SantaMAria1279.jpg

SantaMAria1280.jpg

SantaMAria1281.jpg

SantaMAria1282.jpg

SantaMAria1283.jpg

SantaMAria1284.jpg

Peek into captain' cabin to make sure we did not damage any furniture inside..

SantaMAria1285.jpg

SantaMAria1286.jpg

SantaMAria1287.jpg

Flags are next and that will be it... for this time.

Happy modelling..

Few more details...

View attachment 439434

View attachment 439433

At this moment I was worried about lights, maybe I accidentally cut some wires so had to do testing and likely, no cut wire... But the phone pictures are not sharp due to the amount of light available...

View attachment 439432

View attachment 439431

View attachment 439430

View attachment 439429

View attachment 439428

View attachment 439427

View attachment 439426

View attachment 439425

View attachment 439424

View attachment 439423

View attachment 439422

View attachment 439421

Happy modelling..
Those lights, magic!

Few more details...

View attachment 439434

View attachment 439433

View attachment 439432

View attachment 439431

View attachment 439430

View attachment 439429

View attachment 439428

View attachment 439427

View attachment 439426

View attachment 439425

View attachment 439424

View attachment 439423

View attachment 439422

View attachment 439421

Happy modelling..
A truly great presentation especially for those that learn by seeing rather than by following words. Congratulations for the wonderful workmanship, instructions and over-all presentation. I've thoroughly enjoyed following this build. Kudos to you and cheers.

A truly great presentation especially for those that learn by seeing rather than by following words. Congratulations for the wonderful workmanship, instructions and over-all presentation. I've thoroughly enjoyed following this build. Kudos to you and cheers.
Thank you ConsNZ very much, appreciated your words..

It has been a pleasure being part of this famous ship building society... looking forward for another build...

Beatifull rigging and details moreplovac, and a great presentation as wel, outstanding
Thank you pingu57 very much, appreciated your comment. Have another build (or two) already pilled up on the floor, waiting for Santa Maria' flags and desk cleanup...
Cheers

Back