Completion of Oliver Cromwell [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well said Janos, I am not very good at English, but good enough to see if I have translated it correctly.
Sometimes Google Transelator lives on in its own world, and what I write is completely wrong.
If we use Google Crome and Google Transelator installed then it is not that difficult to translate what we write into English.
Regards-

Si habla idiomas ,que cultura la tuya hombre ,sigue así esforzándote ,espero que lo entiendas

Még mindig nem értek spanyolul, úgyhogy javaslom, hogy fejezzük be ezt a társalgást. Nem akarom, hogy elfajuljanak a dolgok.
Janos

Hello Janos, Just going over your build log and wondering how you built your gun port hinges, great job. Could you be so kind as to tell me just how you built them.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence
The hinges are made of brass strips. If the proper size is not available I cut them from a sheet but not with scissors but with a small diameter metal cut blade on the circular saw. Before cutting I usually put masking tape on both sides of the plate. Before bending I soften up the strip by heating it with a gas burner. The hinges are then formed with round nose pliers. The flat end will then be cut to an angle to be able to hammer the hinge into the hole in the planking. Then the pivot will be hard-soldered into the strip. The other side will obviously be left without the pivot. After soldering I use vinegar to clean up the soldered pieces then they go into the blackening fluid and if necessary will be painted matt black.
Remember making left-right variations of the pivoted version (the way the pivot sticks out of the strip).
The photo shows all steps in the making + the saw blade.
I hope this helps.
Regards:
Janos
DSC_0781.JPG

Hi Lawrence
The hinges are made of brass strips. If the proper size is not available I cut them from a sheet but not with scissors but with a small diameter metal cut blade on the circular saw. Before cutting I usually put masking tape on both sides of the plate. Before bending I soften up the strip by heating it with a gas burner. The hinges are then formed with round nose pliers. The flat end will then be cut to an angle to be able to hammer the hinge into the hole in the planking. Then the pivot will be hard-soldered into the strip. The other side will obviously be left without the pivot. After soldering I use vinegar to clean up the soldered pieces then they go into the blackening fluid and if necessary will be painted matt black.
Remember making left-right variations of the pivoted version (the way the pivot sticks out of the strip).
I hope this helps.
Regards:
Janos

Hello Janos, thanks very much for your great information it will be very helpful when I get to building my gun port hinges. I also have another question that you can help me with and that is how did you determine the length of your Bowsprit? My plans do not show this except for a short stub, just out from the figure head, Thanks.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lawrence
I hope this helps.
Regards:
Janos
View attachment 129662
Hallo Janos,
I edited the last post by Lawrence, so you can see now his post correctly with a question

Hello Janos, thanks very much for your great information it will be very helpful when I get to building my gun port hinges. I also have another question that you can help me with and that is how did you determine the length of your Bowsprit? My plans do not show this except for a short stub, just out from the figure head, Thanks.
Regards Lawrence

Thanks for the edition, Uwe!
Lawrence - as there are no rigging plans for Oliver, after asking Dave Stevens about this I used Rattlesnake's plans for mast/yard dimensions as well as for rigging.
Janos

Thanks for the edition, Uwe!
Lawrence - as there are no rigging plans for Oliver, after asking Dave Stevens about this I used Rattlesnake's plans for mast/yard dimensions as well as for rigging.
Janos
Hello Janos, I thank you for your reply and also for your information. Yes I did realise that Hahn did not do a rigging plan for the Oliver Cromwell. I did buy a copy of rigging plans HMS Druid from Harold M. Hahn son Christ. Harold did recommend these in his book Ships of the American Revolution and there models on page 101. I just wanted to compare the Rattlesnake and the HMS Druid bowsprit. I hope that I have not troubled you to much with my quest for information.
Regards Lawrence

No problem, Lawrence, any time!
According to Dave (and to my knowledge too) the rigging of the ships, written about in the Hahn-book (Ships of the American Revolution) had very similar rigging and Rattlesnake and Oliver were pretty much the same size, so Rattlesnake's rigging planes can be used without a problem. I built my Rattlesnake without masts (to be correct with stud masts only) so this excercise was nearly finishing Rattlesnake with masts and rigging (which I am still thinking of doing one day).
Janos

No problem, Lawrence, any time!
According to Dave (and to my knowledge too) the rigging of the ships, written about in the Hahn-book (Ships of the American Revolution) had very similar rigging and Rattlesnake and Oliver were pretty much the same size, so Rattlesnake's rigging planes can be used without a problem. I built my Rattlesnake without masts (to be correct with stud masts only) so this excercise was nearly finishing Rattlesnake with masts and rigging (which I am still thinking of doing one day).
Janos
Hello Janos, Thanks again for your information, it seams like I can never get enough, you have been a great help.
Regards Lawrence

Muy buen trabajo y bien explicado, lo que no entiendo es lo de la cinta de enmascarar a ambos lados del plato???????

Very good work and well explained, what I do not understand is the masking tape on both sides of the plate ???????

Last edited by a moderator:
The current state of Oliver. Quarterdeck planking is finished, working on the rails now.
Janos

View attachment 75873View attachment 75874View attachment 75875View attachment 75876View attachment 75877
Hello Janos, Just looking over your build log again, great work as always. May I ask you how you built your Rails around the Bow area? Did you bend them, laminate them or cut them in many pieces, or cut them out of a sheet of wood stock? You make it look so easy and I am at a bit of a loss of where to start. I would appreciate your help very much.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence
I have to tell you I don't know. I did not do it. The owner made the hull up to a certain extent some 25 years ago and the Ebony wales were already installed as I started working on it. They definitely look to be bent but don't ask me how. I know Ebony is brittle and very difficult to bend. If I should build it now I would probably shy away from bending and would build them from a sheet. Be careful though, don't forget that Ebony dust can be harmful so good ventilation and a mask is a must.
Janos

Back