Construction U-552 Type VIIc Trumpeter 1:48 [ COMPLETED BUILD ]

Henk,

I already posted it at someone else's build log, but I have to use it again for this beautiful sub: "vakmanschap is meesterschap" (craftmanship is mastership).
Very nice set of pictures as well, doing justice to the build.
Can't wait to see the U-552 in real life!

Johan

0F87AD07-6F87-4A32-ACE9-D9D000C92C38.jpeg

Hello Henk, Thanks for your invite to your build log on your U-Boat, You have did an excellent job on her, and your weathering along with a touch of rust is very nice and well done. I just love your cut outs along with all of that great detail that you have so added is great and it shows the very tight quarters that these men had to live in for months at a time, Well Done.
I used to sail with one of these x-sub men, many years ago on the deep sea tanker the Imperial St. Lawrence, a very cheerful fellow who had a lot of very interesting stories to tell, I have since lost track of him.
I see that you have a copy of Das-Boat, many years ago I was loaned a copy of this movie, however it was not complete as after there fantastic recovery in saving the sub from the deep, and just as they were about to move off the bottom the tape stopped and this had my daughter on edge for a week or so before I did get the full movie, along with that very sad ending.
Well done Henk you will be very proud of this sub for many years to come, now it is off to your YQ-Bluenose that I am sure will be just as nice.
Sorry that I have not fowled yours or many others builds this last 1 1/2 years as this bad case of the shingles took all of the wind out of my sails, no get up and go at all. Then on top of that my Admiral fell and almost killed her self last summer resulting in 55 staples and 36 stiches in her head and as yet has not fully recovered, but is slowly getting a bit better daily. I still do around 95% of the cooking and all of the house hold chores leaving very little time or energy to work in my Old Ship Yard that I love to do. I must now try harder.
Regards Lawrence

I took my time now and went through your whole log again, Henk. Yes, this is a model - but it is so much more than simply that. This is the perfect manifestation of one of the most dangerous killing machines ever devised by man. You have captured every single little detail superbly - not romanticizing it, but portraying it perfectly like it was. Spartan, supremely uncomfortable for the heroic men who went down in it into the depths of the ocean and menacing to those unsuspecting and unfortunate enough to be traveling in surface vessels and who happened to encounter one of these . The slow thrum of the big diesels, the nauseating smell of diesel fumes that seemed to penetrate the soul for eternity and the humming sound of charging batteries and generators that permeate the mind for years to come. Also present is that which is not included in the model, but in the memory that evokes - the vivid taste of the obligatory first cup of saltwater still wrinkle the cheek muscles ... You have not created a "pretty or excellent or superb model" - you have created realism - realism of a time and a machine that we can only hope is never called into action again. For that I commend you!

Henk gave me the honor of photographing his sub. That was quite a challenge. Because now I could see the model in real life. Then you see more and more and more. :oops:Redface:oops:

And then he turns on the lights! ExplosionExplosion
Not only do you see the details right in front of you, but also on the floor and ceilings.
Please click on the photos and zoom in on them. You will discover more and more.
Regards, Peter

Exceptional and extremely detailed model! Just WOW! While all of the details are just beautifully crafted, my special attention and applaud for weathering\ageing. It is very extremely realistic with all the shades and rust in their specific places. I can imagine you have to understand lots of nuances in how the submarine operates to make such weathering realistic. Bravo, Mon Ami!

uitzonderlijke kwaliteit!!! First Place MetalFirst Place MetalFirst Place MetalFirst Place MetalFirst Place Metal

@Peter Voogt I neglected in my post to mention Peter's outstanding photography as well. When faced with a build like that I can just imagine the challenge the photographer has to portray the model in a way that pleases the builder and sets off the model to the best possible effect. You managed to do both perfectly, Peter!

Wow!
From a person that has spent half his life on these things, that is breathtaking!

Back