Constructo 1799 Enterprise help

Pathfinder65

I have been watching your build with a great deal of interest as I am contemplating a scratch build of this fine little ship. One thing that I have noticed is that the picture of her as a brig fails to mention that at the time of her modification she was cut in half and had 12 feet added to her length in order for her to carry more fire-power. So this model is not as she would have appeared in 1812-13, at the time of her battle with the Boxer. That said - you are doing a marvelous job on this often overlooked ship. Keep up the good work - though I'm sure you will. Your skills surpass those of many who have tried to build wooden models.
Thank you for the compliments. The kit was a BD present and it opened up a new hobby window for me. I’ve learned a lot following the tremendous builds on the Forum and hope I’ve contributed a bit here and there.

Jan

Jim J

If you are interested in the history of the Enterprise and the war of 1812, and what ship modeler isn't into a bit of history about their builds, I highly recommend the book "Knights of the Sea" by David Hanna. It provides some fascinating background about both the ships and their captains up to and including the battle between the Enterprise and Boxer. All in all, a great read! Oh, and yes you have contributed a bit - inspiration to all first time model ship builders about what can be accomplished with a bit of perserverance.

Pathfinder65

If you are interested in the history of the Enterprise and the war of 1812, and what ship modeler isn't into a bit of history about their builds, I highly recommend the book "Knights of the Sea" by David Hanna. It provides some fascinating background about both the ships and their captains up to and including the battle between the Enterprise and Boxer. All in all, a great read! Oh, and yes you have contributed a bit - inspiration to all first time model ship builders about what can be accomplished with a bit of perserverance.
A great piece of History in Portland, Maine is that the Commanders of the Boxer and Enterprise are buried side by side in a local cemetery there. They were buried with full military honors.

Jan

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

A great piece of History in Portland, Maine is that the Commanders of the Boxer and Enterprise are buried side by side in a local cemetery there. They were buried with full military honors.

Jan
You can find also more information in our special topic "Today in History - Naval Events" where this event was described in more details

Please do not be irritated by the title of the link (automatically done by the software) but it will bring you the correct one with Boxer and Enterprise

Pathfinder65

Rigging:

Our time lately has been devoted to getting ready for Winter. Summer items have to be cleaned and stored, flower beds have to tidied up and new bulbs planted. It’s a long to do list.
To complicate matters a large storm managed to wreak havoc the middle of last week. Winds were gusting at 65mph plus and the final rainfall was over 3 inches. Our generator ran for a few hours while we waited for the electric company to restore power to our neighborhood.

So we had some time to work on the rigging. Starboard side is almost done.

0252E56C-6267-40D7-B232-8FCFE34B33B1.jpeg

Jan

Pathfinder65

I was going to do some of the port side rigging when I noticed this.

BD5657B7-9910-4A5E-9F04-BCE45AC69B35.jpeg

Those little balls have changed color from black to a deep blue/purple. The model has not been exposed to direct sunlight, so I’m at a loss about the color change.

Jan

Maarten

Staff member

I just brushed on a bit of “Zap Z-7 Debonder” and the color of the beads is back to black. I’m wondering if finger oil residue is the cause of the discoloring.

Jan
You would not expect the to influence the color of the beads only enrich it, I have used oil finish on all types of paint without any problems. For wax it is different as wax contains turpentine as a thinning agent and the turpentine can dissolve some types of paint.