Constructo 1799 Enterprise help

I have been watching your build with a great deal of interest as I am contemplating a scratch build of this fine little ship. One thing that I have noticed is that the picture of her as a brig fails to mention that at the time of her modification she was cut in half and had 12 feet added to her length in order for her to carry more fire-power. So this model is not as she would have appeared in 1812-13, at the time of her battle with the Boxer. That said - you are doing a marvelous job on this often overlooked ship. Keep up the good work - though I'm sure you will. Your skills surpass those of many who have tried to build wooden models.
Thank you for the compliments. The kit was a BD present and it opened up a new hobby window for me. I’ve learned a lot following the tremendous builds on the Forum and hope I’ve contributed a bit here and there.

Jan

If you are interested in the history of the Enterprise and the war of 1812, and what ship modeler isn't into a bit of history about their builds, I highly recommend the book "Knights of the Sea" by David Hanna. It provides some fascinating background about both the ships and their captains up to and including the battle between the Enterprise and Boxer. All in all, a great read! Oh, and yes you have contributed a bit - inspiration to all first time model ship builders about what can be accomplished with a bit of perserverance.

If you are interested in the history of the Enterprise and the war of 1812, and what ship modeler isn't into a bit of history about their builds, I highly recommend the book "Knights of the Sea" by David Hanna. It provides some fascinating background about both the ships and their captains up to and including the battle between the Enterprise and Boxer. All in all, a great read! Oh, and yes you have contributed a bit - inspiration to all first time model ship builders about what can be accomplished with a bit of perserverance.

A great piece of History in Portland, Maine is that the Commanders of the Boxer and Enterprise are buried side by side in a local cemetery there. They were buried with full military honors.

Jan

A great piece of History in Portland, Maine is that the Commanders of the Boxer and Enterprise are buried side by side in a local cemetery there. They were buried with full military honors.

Jan
You can find also more information in our special topic "Today in History - Naval Events" where this event was described in more details

Please do not be irritated by the title of the link (automatically done by the software) but it will bring you the correct one with Boxer and Enterprise

Rigging:

Our time lately has been devoted to getting ready for Winter. Summer items have to be cleaned and stored, flower beds have to tidied up and new bulbs planted. It’s a long to do list.
To complicate matters a large storm managed to wreak havoc the middle of last week. Winds were gusting at 65mph plus and the final rainfall was over 3 inches. Our generator ran for a few hours while we waited for the electric company to restore power to our neighborhood.

So we had some time to work on the rigging. Starboard side is almost done.

0252E56C-6267-40D7-B232-8FCFE34B33B1.jpeg

Jan

I just brushed on a bit of “Zap Z-7 Debonder” and the color of the beads is back to black. I’m wondering if finger oil residue is the cause of the discoloring.

Jan
You would not expect the to influence the color of the beads only enrich it, I have used oil finish on all types of paint without any problems. For wax it is different as wax contains turpentine as a thinning agent and the turpentine can dissolve some types of paint.

Hello Pathfinder65,

I'm new to the site and am building the Enterprise 1799, so I'm finding your build log invaluable.:)
Thanks for putting in the time on this build.
Your pictures and log are very helpful as I have no instruction manual for this kit.:mad:
So, I've been searching the web for hints and information on this build.
I do have the two large blue prints of the ship that guide me somewhat.
20191013_133855.jpg

I must say the ship looks impressive Thumbs-Up, hope I can get mine to look something like yours in quality.
As I build I'm sure to encounter issues and have questions and wondered if you would mind me asking you for some guidance.

I have the bulkheads assembled and the false decks (main and poop) glued on.
I'm starting on the deck planking, though using a different decking layout.

20191204_102246.jpg

20191206_130359.jpg

Above you can see the decking layout I intend to use.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• 20191013_133855.jpg
    20191013_133855.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191204_102246.jpg
    20191204_102246.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191206_130359.jpg
    20191206_130359.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 10
Your start looks good. I’d be more than glad to answer your questions. This is/was my first wooden ship build. I made a lot of mistakes, had a lot of “do overs” but I managed to complete the build. I’ve got several other builds and projects in progress and have not uploaded the finished pictures for this one.

Jan

Cool Pathfinder65. This is my second build. My first was a block hull, Dos Amigos, Baltimore Clipper.

20181223_132357-2.jpg

Learned a lot.
The Enterprise is my first bulkhead and plank ship build.
I bought is years ago, opened it a few months back.
Some missing pieces, including the instruction manual.
But, did not let that stop me ... just makes things more interesting.
I also have a model airplane kit that I may work on in between this build, while waiting for glue to dry

Attachments

• 20181223_132357-2.jpg
    20181223_132357-2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 11
Hello Pathfinder65,

I'm new to the site and am building the Enterprise 1799, so I'm finding your build log invaluable.:)
Thanks for putting in the time on this build.
Your pictures and log are very helpful as I have no instruction manual for this kit.:mad:
So, I've been searching the web for hints and information on this build.
I do have the two large blue prints of the ship that guide me somewhat.
20191013_133855.jpg

I must say the ship looks impressive Thumbs-Up, hope I can get mine to look something like yours in quality.
As I build I'm sure to encounter issues and have questions and wondered if you would mind me asking you for some guidance.

I have the bulkheads assembled and the false decks (main and poop) glued on.
I'm starting on the deck planking, though using a different decking layout.

20191204_102246.jpg

20191206_130359.jpg

Above you can see the decking layout I intend to use.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
In addition to Jims proposal - start your building log, so we all can help and assist when ever necessary and requested.....
and BTW: a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Question.
How long did you mark your deck planking?
That is, how many millimeters is the length of one deck board?
What do the plans call for?
Thanks

Question.
How long did you mark your deck planking?
That is, how many millimeters is the length of one deck board?
What do the plans call for?
Thanks
I didn’t mark and precut the planks. the instructions indicate drawing a line down the middle of the deck and placing the 1st plank adjacent to the line.

4DFC47F0-6E83-4D37-B236-FD3AB89DCDC4.jpeg

9C1F5C48-BB8E-4A72-8861-612237703CCE.jpeg

The top two pictures show the planking glued on and trimmed.

My planking before trimming to the deck shape.

A6940424-F7A4-4B28-B2AA-67B16A25255F.jpeg

798AED37-BDA3-46F1-B984-2C79AF4D1459.jpeg

Trimmed and sanded to shape.

46E8C788-FAF9-491B-81F2-6E62964B762E.jpeg

T

Back