Dansk Jagt/Sweden Yacht - Yuanqing, 1:50. Completed Build with Summary

Summary of Build/Model

This model was done more as a practice piece in order to try out some techniques without spending a lot of money on an expensive kit. I also wanted to see what the quality was like from this manufacturer if I ever decide to build one of their high-end models in the future. Link to the build is here < Build log >

The quality of the parts was generally good and the model can be built perfectly well from the box without any additional spend. It was easy to add a few extras and to improve it with homemade parts - which was my intention.

The supplied CD instructions were in Chinese only and were very basic. They were only useful as a “guide” but there was enough information in the images to show what needed to be done at each step. I did not refer to them very much and if you have built a few models, this kit would not present any particular problems and I would say it is ideal for an advanced beginner/experienced modeller. The scale drawing was not very well printed and was only useful to check the overall build against. The rigging shown on the plan was not very clear to follow and some runs were ?? However, with a little bit of research, it was simple enough to draw up a new rigging plan and use that instead.

For the build itself it was quite straight forward with very little rigging to worry about. The hardest parts were the first and second planking. The bulbous shape of the hull made the first planking tricky to do and the second planking a complete pain. It would be easy enough to paint the hull after the first planking and there are some images on the ZHL website showing this particular model painted in white and blue. I have also found some images of similar ships painted in various liveries so painting the hull would be in keeping with this type of vessel. Although it was not my intention to use the two wood finish, it does actually look quite good. The only “major” problem I had in the build was an error in the dimension of the keel at the transom which manifested itself in a large gap between the stern post and the rudder (see Part 11 of the log). Fortunately it was an easy fix by making a new rudder to compensate for the gap and it did not make any difference to the finished hull.

The sails were reasonably good and were perfectly usable, they only needed some rings and the reefs attached. One of the jibs had been sewn with the seams on the opposite side to the other two, no big deal, but something to note. It would have been easy enough to unpick the seams and resew them, but it wasn’t worth the effort and it was hardly noticeable. The kit came with five sizes of waxed thread for the rigging which was quite usable but I had some thread left over from another project and I used that instead.

The stand that came with the kit was not very good and was not in keeping with the rest of the kit quality. It was made from thin ply, quite flimsy and looked really “rubbish”. It was OK to use as a temporary stand when I was doing the rigging but I would not use it for display. However, I like to make my own stands so it was not actually an issue for me.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the kit and the way it turned out. I certainly thought it was good value for the money and I would be prepared to buy other kits from Yuanquing in the future. As a subject it is a very interesting little ship and definitely something different to build. I spread this build over seven months mainly because I had far too many other things to catch up with after the pandemic. It was a case of dipping in and out of the shipyard when I could so I have no idea how many hours I spent actually working on the model. With a bit more dedicated effort I am sure it would not take very long to build (as ship models go!).

The Model:

Port.jpgStarboard.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

It looks flawless to me! Excellent perspective and detail from every photographic angle. Very good work indeed, and very nice to look at, again and again Thumbsup

Summary of Build/Model

This model was done more as a practice piece in order to try out some techniques without spending a lot of money on an expensive kit. I also wanted to see what the quality was like from this manufacturer if I ever decide to build one of their high-end models in the future. Link to the build is here < Build log >

The quality of the parts was generally good and the model can be built perfectly well from the box without any additional spend. It was easy to add a few extras and to improve it with homemade parts - which was my intention.

The supplied CD instructions were in Chinese only and were very basic. They were only useful as a “guide” but there was enough information in the images to show what needed to be done at each step. I did not refer to them very much and if you have built a few models, this kit would not present any particular problems and I would say it is ideal for an advanced beginner/experienced modeller. The scale drawing was not very well printed and was only useful to check the overall build against. The rigging shown on the plan was not very clear to follow and some runs were ?? However, with a little bit of research, it was simple enough to draw up a new rigging plan and use that instead.

For the build itself it was quite straight forward with very little rigging to worry about. The hardest parts were the first and second planking. The bulbous shape of the hull made the first planking tricky to do and the second planking a complete pain. It would be easy enough to paint the hull after the first planking and there are some images on the ZHL website showing this particular model painted in white and blue. I have also found some images of similar ships painted in various liveries so painting the hull would be in keeping with this type of vessel. Although it was not my intention to use the two wood finish, it does actually look quite good. The only “major” problem I had in the build was an error in the dimension of the keel at the transom which manifested itself in a large gap between the stern post and the rudder (see Part 11 of the log). Fortunately it was an easy fix by making a new rudder to compensate for the gap and it did not make any difference to the finished hull.

The sails were reasonably good and were perfectly usable, they only needed some rings and the reefs attached. One of the jibs had been sewn with the seams on the opposite side to the other two, no big deal, but something to note. It would have been easy enough to unpick the seams and resew them, but it wasn’t worth the effort and it was hardly noticeable. The kit came with five sizes of waxed thread for the rigging which was quite usable but I had some thread left over from another project and I used that instead.

The stand that came with the kit was not very good and was not in keeping with the rest of the kit quality. It was made from thin ply, quite flimsy and looked really “rubbish”. It was OK to use as a temporary stand when I was doing the rigging but I would not use it for display. However, I like to make my own stands so it was not actually an issue for me.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the kit and the way it turned out. I certainly thought it was good value for the money and I would be prepared to buy other kits from Yuanquing in the future. As a subject it is a very interesting little ship and definitely something different to build. I spread this build over seven months mainly because I had far too many other things to catch up with after the pandemic. It was a case of dipping in and out of the shipyard when I could so I have no idea how many hours I spent actually working on the model. With a bit more dedicated effort I am sure it would not take very long to build (as ship models go!).

The Model:

View attachment 322795View attachment 322796View attachment 322785View attachment 322786View attachment 322787View attachment 322788View attachment 322789View attachment 322790View attachment 322791View attachment 322792View attachment 322793View attachment 322794
wonderful work, its looks beautiful

Thank you all for the nice comments. I hope to catch up on a few SOS builds that I have been following now that this one is out of the way. My next build is now in the shipyard but I will not be starting for a while :) < Cutty Sark >

Very Good indeed !!! Very nice photography as well.

Back