DeAgaostini/AL HMS Surprise

I have had this kit for a few years in my stash. I intend to build it for a good friend of mine at some point. My biggest concern is that it is only a single-planked model and the bulkheads are spaced pretty far apart. I will watch your progress to see how you deal with this. I have been pondering a kit-bash and redesigning the keel/frames.

Good luck. This is a huge model!!!

My biggest concern is that it is only a single-planked model and the bulkheads are spaced pretty far apart.
Hello Mike, I think a wide space between bulkheads shouldn't be a big concern. I am sure you know that you can use balsa (wood) as filler blocks, or even the signboards foam (not sure what is the correct name), but you get an idea. It is an extra cost to the kit, though. But the result should be a perfect hull for the planking.

I have had this kit for a few years in my stash. I intend to build it for a good friend of mine at some point. My biggest concern is that it is only a single-planked model and the bulkheads are spaced pretty far apart. I will watch your progress to see how you deal with this. I have been pondering a kit-bash and redesigning the keel/frames.

Good luck. This is a huge model!!!
Mike,
I pretty much build the kit as is. Kitbashing is way beyond my skill level.

Back