Don's Battle Station

Hello everyone, one more quick update for the day and I promise that"s it.
IMG_3229.jpg
I decided to put a handrail around the one hatch on the upper deck so I needed to make some columns the following is a quick show as to how I do it.
I milled some lumber down to 4.5 x 4.5 mm, marked off where the rounding off would start and end.

IMG_3231.jpg
Using the cutting tool on the lathe I rounded off in between the lines. I should mention that the end that is in the chuck has been rounded off using a 1" belt sander as you cannot put square objects into a three jaw chuck.

IMG_3232.jpg
Once rounded off I used my Perma Grit files to do the tapering. These files maybe a little expensive but they are worth it as they do a wonderful job(the handle is hand made and does not come with the files)

IMG_3233.jpg
The round end I was talking about is then cut off. From here it goes inside and is sanded to it's final length using the Byrnes disc sander. The table saw is a Proxxon, I bought this before I heard about the Byrnes line of tools ROTF. LOL

IMG_3234.jpg
and here is the final product

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg
Stairs were installedIMG_3239.jpgIMG_3240.jpgIMG_3241.jpg

And with that we will call this complete!!

Thanks so much for following along and I hope to see you on my next journey

Take Care

I was just gonna put a simple rope hand rail around my stairs... you guys with your “hop ups”... LOL... Awesome job. I guess this means I need to finish my build.. Ok, right after my Patrick Henry is done..

Question, what would it have looked like if the last cannon had been in the rear position, as it looks when it is charged, I have not seen it before, it would have been exciting to see what it looks like, most often the cannons are displayed in attack position, greeting -

Back