Don's Battle Station

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing fine during all this Covid fiasco. I have finally returned to the workbench after a long absence and have a little to show. I will not go into depth why I have been missing for so long as most of it is just boring excuses and no need to repeat. My buddy Mike does enough boring reporting so I feel there is no need for me to follow in his footsteps!! LOL
IMG_3171.jpg
Here is the interior, this went relatively well and fit perfectly.
IMG_3172.jpg
A side view showing the floor, originally I was leaving the laser char on the ends but then changed my mind. Would have been much easier sanding before installing. This is one of the moments when the fun started to fade away :p .

IMG_3174.jpg
Here is where all fun stopped!! While building the upper floor and not paying attention I glued some of the frames in the wrong places and had to disassemble and rebuild. Needless to say there was other damage that was going to show. We were not supposed to use paint on this model, however, I thought it was easier to paint then to ask Dave for some ebony and for Mike to cut it for me. Hahaha.
Although I broke the rules I really don"t mind the look of it.IMG_3175.jpg
Another view, I remade the columns out of Padauk wood to match the hatch combings. I forgot to mention the upper floor is not attached yet it is just sitting there for this awesome photo shoot :) ;) I really need to do some dusting soon!

IMG_3176.jpg
Another view, is this getting boring? Blame Mike if it is!!

IMG_3178.jpg
Here we go the hatches. I rebuilt these as I was short two and the one I did have was damaged, no one to blame as I was the one who packed the kits!!
It was not all that bad as I got to use the mill, thickness sander and tablesaw. A few hours work and minimal cussing they came out looking pretty good.

IMG_3179.jpg
And another angle, I'm liable to fall asleep soon if this keeps up. In the top left of the floor you can see a lantern that I made. There are four of them, I will not show a close up as I am not that proud of them and they may end up in the garbage bin.

IMG_3180.jpg
All the blocks rigged and ready for cannons and gun port doors. Blocks were made of left over pieces from various billets, rope is also handmade and the hooks I made from ,5 mm wire. Blocks were finished with boiled linseed oil.

IMG_3186.jpg
A shot of the front with the addition of the gun rail, which I forgot to add in the previous pictures. I remade this from Padauk wood also, the original one made from rosewood was about 2 mm short. When I think back I believe I was the one that cut these pieces to length in Mike's shop. I'm starting to think that I should give up this hobby and take up poking needles in my eyes. LOL

IMG_3187.jpg
Cannons that were once assembled were disassembled as I changed my mind about having brass coloured barrels. Oh yah, a better shot of those infamous lanterns.
Trust me they are good from afar but a far from good.

IMG_3188.jpg
And another view

IMG_3189.jpg
Wow!! Does it ever end? How many pictures of this are needed?
I've got myself so tired and bored I need a sleep!

Take Care and Thanks for dropping in

WOW!!!! He finally posted some pictures!! Look at those Robinson Hatches!! Don also turned the columns for the upper deck. Each of us had a different version of the columns. He also turned the brass cannons himself on his Sherline!! I wish he would give us a better view of the lanterns as they were not part of the kit!!

Great stuff. Maybe I should get back to my battle station since your progress has now exceeded mine!!

G'day Don
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing fine during all this Covid fiasco. I have finally returned to the workbench after a long absence and have a little to show. I will not go into depth why I have been missing for so long as most of it is just boring excuses and no need to repeat.
It t seems that I wasn't the only MIA, but it looks like I was the longest. Lol
Glad that we have you back! Hope that you're well and covid free!
Your battle station looks great.
What I can see of your lanterns, they look great, mate.
Keep on going on mate and keep the fun alive in our hobby.
Happymodeling
Greg

Hello all, Thanks so much for all the likes and comments they are all much appreciated.
Just a small update to show the installation of the cannons on the lower deck.
IMG_3195.jpg
IMG_3196.jpg
IMG_3197.jpg
Next up will be the gun port hatches, hanging knees and then permanently install upper deck. As mentioned before the blocks were made from pieces of the leftover cherry billets using the Sherline mill and the Proxxon saw. All the rope was made using the Domanoff systems

Take Care and Thanks so much for dropping in

sorry for my critic, but since this is such an extraordinarily model and exquisite build:

do you really think the train-tackles are long enough - or better said: placed back wide enough - to haul the gun in for reloading or storage?
That question bothers me on many (kit) builds, but I usually tell myself: well, they don't know better - or didn't care enough ...
but I can't persuade myself here, where you paid so much attention to each and everything else!

Sorry again, but since I think this is a real masterpice I needed to ask - yes I know, it's "whining at a high level"

Thank you for that Build-Log, I'm waiting for the Kit :)

do you really think the train-tackles are long enough
Hi Markus. Don and I actually talked about the extra tackle. This model, including the original drawings by Jeff Staudt, is not historically accurate. It is a very stylized representation of a gun deck more intended to show off some new modeling techniques than to actually display a true rendering of an actual ship. The original plans did not even include the train tackle. Once the upper deck is attached and all the other stuff is added it will visually still look very attractive. There is a ladder, shot racks and some other furniture that would probably get in the way of longer train tackle.

This will not be a kit, we only produced parts for 3 models and do not have a commercial license for the Jeff Staudt plans.

Enjoy the build!!!

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply!
Yes I know that there will be no kit - nevertheless it would be great ;)
All three of you (!) "show off" with almost every build log new or great modeling techniques - I am very impressed of the accuracy, skill and art you show to us readers.
Befor I started reading on this Forum, I didn't even know, what this tackle was for ... but due to its "shortage" I was thinking it used to "brace" the cannons, not to haul them back in. So on your next model just put them 2 or 3 planks more inward and I'd be more than happy - I wouldn't go as far as Marquardt (was it him? ...I red so many Books the past few months ...) suggested to use the exact lenght of rope on a Tackel and coil up the running part - thou most of your models look like they have been treated with all that "lifeblood"!
Again, this is no "real" criticism - but since you take your time to show us so many great details, I wanted to let you know: I am really looking at all of them - as far as I can, still (almost) every day learning something new here on this great Forum :)
keep it comming and many thanks, markus

gna, hit "post" to early while "previewing" and correcting ... if you still find mistakes, you may keep them ;)
you know, english istn't my first language, but I hope you got my point :)

Back