Cad design drawing the steam frigate Mississippi

You asked for it ;)
The axles on the aft trucks on the carriage, and the slide's rollers both have 6-sided portions for the wrench to fit. The axles are off-center and the wrench is used to rotate the axle to engage the trucks, lifting the aft end of the carriage onto it's trucks to roll it fore-n-aft, or engaging the rollers on the slide to facilitate training the piece.
Here's the idea on a model of a 11" Dahlgren...
76771594_2738398129555885_6143322285903183872_o.jpg

Yep, that's the very same drawing. It was really something handling the actual document, there's also a drawing of just the gun barrel alone, though I never scanned it since the Mississippi drawing already had it.

at the time of building the steam navy several ships were built 2 sloops of war the Susquehanna and the Powhatan were built right after the Mississippi.
the official records stated as commissioned the Susquehanna carried 3 10 inch pivot guns on circles fore and aft one stern and 2 on the forecastle.

View attachment 48111

this model shows only one pivot gun at the bow so I can not say if the configuration of the iron circles would be the same for one gun as for two guns.

View attachment 48112

notice in the above photo and the two below the double bulwark set up this might be the reason for the drawing in the last post with the 2 arrows pointing to a double bulwark. The Mississippi did not have a pivot at the stern so the stern is not drawn like the bow bulwarks.

I am going to venture a guess and say the steam frigates did not have pivots for and aft but the sloops of war did.

View attachment 48113
View attachment 48114

I would like to return into an old subject USS Susquehanna.

When searching something new to build, I was looking the documentation package of her which I bought a few years ago. Some of you told then that the drawings are not so complete as one could wish for, and that is really true. What I would like to see is a better drawing of the deck fittings and rigging. Therefore I'm asking, if anybody of you would know any source of better drawings of her or perhaps of some equal ship of the same era?

Back