Cad design drawing the steam frigate Mississippi

same is done with the frames they are 12 inch sided so the 2d cad drawings of the frames get the 12 inch Z axis added and rendered. From here the frames will be set on the keel and the hull of the Mississippi built. While parts are being created and drawings worked on for the hull, engine work is also being done as well as the 8 and 10 inch guns and sleds are being researched, drawn and modeled. As the team works on the Mississippi from stem to stern once finished any section of the ship can be built as a X section, engine room, gun station, stern model etc.

gframe test1aw.jpgframe test1w.jpg

the team at the Weasel Works is made up of graphic artists to CAD designers which use Fusion360, AutoCad, turbo CAD, Solidworks and exchanges files from DWG and DXF to STL and IGS

Here's the rendering of the 8 Inch Paixhan Shell Gun designed in1840 for the Mississippi. This file is 3D printable, or can be machined on a CNC machine. This dimensionally matches the plan for the Mississippi. I believe this is a English at least designed version of the Paixhan Shell Gun.

The hard part was getting the details on the knob on the back.

Here's a non rendered view of the rear. Notice how the hole for the rope goes from oval to round and then back to oval on the opposite side.

Currently working on the 10 Inch Shell gun and the carriages.

Hello Dave,
I am glad you started up again with the Mississippi. Interesting to see this type of combination of a paddle steamer with full rigging. The changing from one type to another. I placed my chair and keep on watching.
Regards Peter

there is a lot of work being done on the Mississippi but not so much on public forums, work is being done by a team of people.

the Mississippi was the first successful steam powered US war ship. The old navy guys were just not quite ready to give up the old sailing navy and did not trust steam power. so masts and sails were added.

what the ? is Weasel works anyhow?

a small department that is allowed to operate outside the normal procedures and systems of a company
so that it has the freedom to develop new ideas, products, etc.:

SKUNKWORKS
"If you want high performance from a team, give them the problem, give them a deadline,
give them some resources (they'll scrounge a lot more, of course), and leave them alone (Olson and Eoyang, 2001)."

The concept has been designed to assist managers and business owners to set groups of experts who drop out
of mainstream company operations in order to develop something new in secrecy or at speed.
This theory provides an overview on how skunkworks groups work and how to implement them in an organization.

engineering, technical, consulting, and advisory services with respect to designing and building projects.

Its name was taken from the moonshine factory in the comic strip Li'l Abner. The designation "skunk works" or "skunkworks"
is widely used in business, engineering, and technical fields to describe a group within an organization given a high
degree of autonomy and unhampered by bureaucracy, with the task of working on advanced or secret projects.

in order to advance the hobby of model ship building The Weasel Works as it is stated is unhampered by the on going rhetoric
of who might be pirating what, the politics of organizations, finger pointing and all the time wasting useless efforts that go nowhere.
bottom like we don't care it is all about moving forward. We work with anyone and everyone.

Weasel works is the Skunk works of model ship building.

Last edited:
I think you need to revisit the shape of the truck bolsters on the carriage.bolsters.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you Jerry for your in put

I think you need to revisit the shape of the truck bolsters on the carriage.

what is the source of the drawing you posted?

i know jodie is using the original drawings from the mississippi collection

we will look into this

It's from the drawing of Mississippi's 10" gun I got from the National Archives

mississippi_shell_gun_id.jpg

which also has this inset....
10inch_wrench.jpg

I'm sorry to seem to pick at a beautiful 3D model, but please think of this as just another set of eyes "proofreading" your material and not picking for picking sake.

On that note, the oar-lock looking shackles for the breeching are set into the side of the carriage a bit, to prevent twisting I suppose. Both of these details can be seen in other carriages such as those used during the Civil War.
10inch_36front.jpg

Otherwise, I think the model's perfectly gorgeous.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to seem to pick at a beautiful 3D model, but please think of this as just another set of eyes "proofreading" your material and not picking for picking sake.

i would rather have someone speak up like you have done. To me there is no gain in posts like "good job" "well done" "wonderful" when in fact there are errors in the work. This is the actual drawing the model is based on.

i am happy you caught this before a gun station model was done. corrections can be made in the CAD drawings

well done Jerry well done! after a little tweaking stay tuned for a revised version

also coming soon the 8 inch gun and carriage

10 inch gun low res.jpg

Back