Dumas PT Boat (PT105) 1:30 scale by MOG [COMPLETED BUILD]

While waiting for supplies, worked on the wiring plugs for the Nav horn, port spotlight bracket. There very small, hard to shape, but I think they will add to the effect, when the cables are connected, also added the mounting brackets for the , cabin vents and running lights. Test fitted the reworked 20mm mount ep1.JPGep2.JPGep4.JPGep5.JPGep6.JPG

Made some progress in in the odds & ends areas Life ring with rope grab, added the mast light cable , the mast is aluminium & brass so it will take a few coats to cover, or I might just leave the used look, reworked the training gear cranks on the day room cabin, added the port search light cable, placed items on the engine hatch cover & gave a coat of paint, missing the engine hatch ( work in progress)a1.JPGa2.JPGa4.JPGa5.JPGa7.JPG

Torpedo tube training gear, rope locker hatch

Torpedo tube training gear permits the tubes to be trained inboard so that no part of the tube structure extends over the rail. When action is expected, the tubes are trained outboard, by hand.

After the Rattlesnake I wanted to do something different. I have always been interested in the WW2 PT (Patrol Torpedo) boat. My build will be modelled on PT 105 commanded by Dick Keresey. Yes believe it or not they made other PTs besides the 109. The 105 was an 80 foot Elco Torpedo boat 1942, built of spruce, oak and mahogany and made watertight by marine plywood covering.

The Dumas kit 1233, 4 large sheet plans, decent 45 page instruction book, ok pictures, good material list. Kit is supplied with Mahogany, birch, and poplar ply. Dumas decided to replace the Mahogany sheet hull planking with 2mm PVC they say it makes for a smother finial finish. OK however if I wanted to build a PVC boat, I would have bought one. I will buy 2mm Mahogany sheets to do the hull planking properly
Hallo @MOG ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Starting to show a little progress , attempting to scratch build the torpedo tubes, learning from plans & pictures . its fun but trying to get it right is slow work. fit tested parts of the of the superstructure, and cleaned up the control paneltp1.JPGtp2.JPGtp3.JPGtp4.JPG

First stage building the components for the torpedo tubes, ready to be cleaned up. These components fit on the top surface of the tubes. Still have to build the Aft holding cradles , undercarriage, and another set of training gears. Overall when the tubes are completed I think I will have fabricated about 150 individual parts, every thing has to be built times 4 which makes slow, hair pulling progress trying to get each set to match, which is almost impossible , so I idea is get them close , with so many handmade repetitive parts you would go nuts getting perfect exact matches. Pressing ontp1.JPG

Finished fabricating the torpedo mounts suspension. I don’t like using aluminum because it doesn’t solder withoutts1.JPG getting into a painful process, so it has to be glued, which it equally does not like, anyway it got there in the end,

Back