Dumas PT Boat (PT105) 1:30 scale by MOG [COMPLETED BUILD]

About finished with the cockpit area,

the windshield, a real pain, metal, plastic, drilling hole for pins, paint & canopy glue do not want to work well toughter, without looking like a 5-year-old tossed it all toughter. after 4 attempts I was at the end of my rope, but it was almost there, when Murphy showed up, a very slight slip of the hand & I took a chunk out of the std screen. Not wanting to start over for shot # 5 I turned the error into battle damage, which I have not shown clearly in the pics as it still needs a bit of work. The windshield weathering became easy after that. Installed the control panel and added the fluorescent light, compass, and torpedo director, them weathered the entire area. Again, there are many different ways to approach this build, all have their own merits, my vision here is to depict a boat that has seen action and exposure to the tropical elements of the pacific.cp4.JPGcp2.JPGcp1.JPG

Have not posted for a while as most of the work has been on the repetitive side. Update the105 boat is 99% complete. All the major work is complete, has been for about a month. the remaining work being added is dependent on the on finishing the water on the base. The base is very much a work in progress, many hours to go. The palm trees, have one fully completed mainly to make sure my technique would yield the look I wanted, if I did them one at a time its 5 days start to finish, building in bulk steps I have completed the trunks for 19 trees, the palm fronds , made from feathers takes the most time. 10 days to finish the water, 1 day drying time between coats, and maybe a month to finish the background. So much work ahead, but it’s getting therel1.JPGl3.JPGl4.JPG

Have not posted for a while as most of the work has been on the repetitive side. Update the105 boat is 99% complete. All the major work is complete, has been for about a month. the remaining work being added is dependent on the on finishing the water on the base. The base is very much a work in progress, many hours to go. The palm trees, have one fully completed mainly to make sure my technique would yield the look I wanted, if I did them one at a time its 5 days start to finish, building in bulk steps I have completed the trunks for 19 trees, the palm fronds , made from feathers takes the most time. 10 days to finish the water, 1 day drying time between coats, and maybe a month to finish the background. So much work ahead, but it’s getting thereView attachment 247166View attachment 247167View attachment 247168
wow, it's looks great Thumbsup :)

After the Rattlesnake I wanted to do something different. I have always been interested in the WW2 PT (Patrol Torpedo) boat. My build will be modelled on PT 105 commanded by Dick Keresey. Yes believe it or not they made other PTs besides the 109. The 105 was an 80 foot Elco Torpedo boat 1942, built of spruce, oak and mahogany and made watertight by marine plywood covering.

The Dumas kit 1233, 4 large sheet plans, decent 45 page instruction book, ok pictures, good material list. Kit is supplied with Mahogany, birch, and poplar ply. Dumas decided to replace the Mahogany sheet hull planking with 2mm PVC they say it makes for a smother finial finish. OK however if I wanted to build a PVC boat, I would have bought one. I will buy 2mm Mahogany sheets to do the hull planking properly
Hallo @MOG
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Just shy of 2 years work, this my first attempt at the PT , I still have to trim out the edges , frame the box and build the case . My goal here was to depict a day in the life of the 105-boat moored at Todd City for minor repairs and resupply. Thanks to everyone for all your comments and support.

Mikea2.JPGa6.JPGa2.JPGa6.JPGa5.JPGa4.JPGw4.JPGw3.JPGw2.JPGp2.JPGe3.JPG

Thanks , I really enjoyed this build I learned some much about the PT world . I still stay in touch with Frank Andruss of The Mosquito fleet Exhibit WW11 PT Boats Frank is also the author of several excellent books on the PTs If its ok I would be interested in see your project

Back