Duyfken 1/50 scale - Kolderstock

Yes and no, That is a bit of a tricky area and needs a bit more work. My major problem was in the bow. The starter plank was OK but the next set of planks would not fit flush and bow out. Sort of a clinker effect. My other mistake was using a short sanding block (about 4 inches long) to do the fairing. Since then I've acquired three different sanding blocks (1 and 2 inches wide and 8 inches long).

Sanding blocks

I also use Heinrich's approved coarse sandpaper method.
Good morning Jan. Hull fairing is something I am very nervous about. Especially if the bulkheads are soft wood as I may change the symmetry. I do agree with Paul tho. If I look at the last stern bulkhead it would seem that the planks would just touch the outer end of the bulkhead (May be photo angle which creates this perspective). Cheers Grant

The RE-DO:

View attachment 357315

I had a busy weekend but managed to start a "Re-Do" of this part of the build. When I started this build I was learning a lot of new skills. Fairing the hull was a new skill. I was a little bit timid with my effort at the time. The planking of this hull just was not going according to Hoyle. So with a lot of hot water and perseverance I stripped the planks, sanded the bulkheads, checked the lay of the plank and I'm ready to start the planking process again.
Time spend fairing the bulkheads is time well spend and yes, this is experience speaking...
I didn't pay close enough attention during fairing the frames of my Bluenose and had to pay my dues during planking.
My words of wisdom? Don't start planking until utterly satisfied with the fairing.

Good morning Jan. Hull fairing is something I am very nervous about. Especially if the bulkheads are soft wood as I may change the symmetry. I do agree with Paul tho. If I look at the last stern bulkhead it would seem that the planks would just touch the outer end of the bulkhead (May be photo angle which creates this perspective). Cheers Grant
Yup, You and Paul are correct the last bulkhead needs a bit more work.I’m very careful in that area because that is the one spot that I’ve done a lot of pre-work.

7112CDF0-594D-42EF-9FFA-F9EECC8858C8.jpeg

The Re-Do progress:

View attachment 358180

The first plank in place after some “dedicated” fairing. I was little timid the first time around fairing the hull and my planking effort was Thumbsdown. We will see how try number two turns out.
Good morning Jan. Awesome. I really like your stand;). With all the ships in your shipyard you could start a fleet.:D.Cheers Grant

Seems like it’s like last winter and I’m working in the shipyard to take break from clearing snow from the driveway. Two trips out so far, fortunately the forecast amount of up to 14” of snow isn’t happening.

Anyway, “Re-Do” number 2 wasn’t the answer. The base plank sat a little to high so “Re-Do” number 3 is in progress.

1388E17F-8128-4B84-A3BD-C69951474A97.jpeg

This time I pinned the first plank while wet, let it dry and then applied dabs of glue to the inside edges of the bulkheads. The second plank was dry fitted, soaked and clamped in place. I was surprised that it actually laid in the way I thought it should. I’m making great progress with two planks in place. ROTF

A discussion with Hans resulted in a bit of filing, sanding and fitting at the bottom of the stern keel piece.

F024B7FC-BA80-44E5-95A5-C5071E431BC4.jpeg

As with the WB build the bottom two planks fit into and end at the edge of the keel. It was good time to complete that before I got to far planking the hull.

Back