EJ's Floaty Boaty

Yeah, the 16 foot 2 X 6's must have been right from the treatment plant as they must have weighed about 50 pounds each.
Whew!

This is where my pearwood is stuck -

ISC stands for International Sorting Center. Mine is in Chicago, there is another in New York. All incoming packages from outside the country go through one of these.

I found out that ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) is a sorting facility for incoming packages from outside the US. It is kinda a postal sorting place and a Customs facility, although they are separate entities. It can take anywhere from 24 hours to 40 or more days to get through the place depending on whether Customs or USPS has the package. No tracking will show up after it arrives at ISC until it has left and arrives at the next facility where it will be scanned and entered into the system again. Geeesh.

EJ

First;
Just got my mini table saw today. Using my 10" tablesaw and 16" bandsaw to break down the stock and my 12" planer to surface and thickness the slices, I was able to produce 3/32" square pieces of California redwood and Michigan poplar. My system works well for me and the mini saw works fine for the last step of ripping the slices to final width with 2 faces with planed surfaces and two faces sawed on the mini saw that are pretty darn smooth. A couple swipes with a sanding block and they are good to go.

zw8wQTd.jpg

YqjX6XF.jpg

Jnqwyfa.jpg

dhsC8Oy.jpg

2HnqUFw.jpg

Second;
I picked up the material for my next 1:1 build, a commercial steel door and frame kit. Assembly and intallation to follow (when the weather cools off a bit). Installs into a block wall opening to replace an older wood door and frame at the gun club.

CCpYXIt.jpg

EJ
Is that a Proxxon FET table saw? I just got one and am having trouble figuring out the instructions for the micro adjustments with the scale once zeroed to the blade. I cannot get the release and tightening knob and lever coordinated. If you can give me some hints for guidance I would really appreciate that. Maybe my old brain and short memory for what I should do and am fumbling about are the hurdle. Thanks for your guidance. PT-2

Maybe pear wood from Canada is like bringing oranges into California used to be or maybe still is. . . .confiscated to protect indigenous species. ;-) PT-2

Is that a Proxxon FET table saw? I just got one and am having trouble figuring out the instructions for the micro adjustments with the scale once zeroed to the blade. I cannot get the release and tightening knob and lever coordinated. If you can give me some hints for guidance I would really appreciate that. Maybe my old brain and short memory for what I should do and am fumbling about are the hurdle. Thanks for your guidance. PT-2

See posts #26 and #32 of this thread.

EJ

See posts #26 and #32 of this thread.

EJ
Yep, I looked at the MicroMark in the catalog and was attracted by the price but took another tack from some other SoS members commenting about other saws and Proxxon and though more expensive, went down that path. Done now so no looking back. PT-2

This is where my pearwood is stuck -

ISC stands for International Sorting Center. Mine is in Chicago, there is another in New York. All incoming packages from outside the country go through one of these.

I found out that ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) is a sorting facility for incoming packages from outside the US. It is kinda a postal sorting place and a Customs facility, although they are separate entities. It can take anywhere from 24 hours to 40 or more days to get through the place depending on whether Customs or USPS has the package. No tracking will show up after it arrives at ISC until it has left and arrives at the next facility where it will be scanned and entered into the system again. Geeesh.

EJ

Hey EJ....
Have you heard (or seen..) anything more from your pearwood order.? Still stuck in Chi-town.??
Sergey sent me two separate shipments and both of them are there (ISC Chicago..) alongside yours I guess. Tracking indicates arrived in NY on the 24th and at ISC Chicago on the 25th. So, they've been there for 10 days or so....

Hope your luck is better than mine.!!
Howard

Hey EJ....
Have you heard (or seen..) anything more from your pearwood order.? Still stuck in Chi-town.??
Sergey sent me two separate shipments and both of them are there (ISC Chicago..) alongside yours I guess. Tracking indicates arrived in NY on the 24th and at ISC Chicago on the 25th. So, they've been there for 10 days or so....

Hope your luck is better than mine.!!
Howard

Mine said "passed thru da da ta da Chicago on July 27

EJ

Last edited:
I took a look at my building board and noticed that a few of the stations had warped a bit from sitting there. I took a few minutes and made some spacers to straighten them out.

JulgJvT.jpg

Been busy with 1:1 projects
Installed the commercial metal door and frame at the gun club yesterday. Will go back tomorrow and finish up - set the sill, foam and caulk, install new trim on the inside, install a door stop/holder on the outside, do a bit of cement work on the approach. We want this to be handicapped accessible as we have a group from the veteran's facility that come to shoot regularly.

BYqjvMS.jpg

ZUj0HPn.jpg

I'll be starting on my fist canoe this weekend.

EJ

From previous post;

"I have plenty to do in the meantime. Finish the rigging on my "Lightning" sailboat, and several 1 - 1 scale projects for customers - fix a dock at a local lake that the ice moved, Install a new steel door, frame and security hardware at the gun club, rebuild a small ground level deck at my cousin's (the old one is 35 years old), and finish putting everything back in place for the Admiral as we just had new carpet installed yesterday. That should fill in the time til the lumber gets here and keep my mind off the wait. "

Heavens no. The 1:1 work I referred to earlier is repairs for some of my old customers. What is today referred to as "handyman stuff" I guess. It's hard to get professionals to do the smaller jobs. They want the big jobs or stay home. My customer base is getting smaller and smaller. Good thing I guess, as I'm getting to the point that I probably shouldn't be doing this stuff anymore, especially since my open heart surgery last winter. But - I just really love building and fixing things. It's a passion. My letterhead had the motto - " We can build or repair the improbable. The impossible just takes a bit longer".

All that said, I did build a stripper canoe years ago. an 18 footer with Alaskan yellow cedar with mahogany accents. This was before digital cameras, cellphones and the internet. I used to have Kodak color slides of it, but those all got tossed years ago. It was a nice paddler and I used it for canoe camping.

When in my pre-teen and early teen days, us grandkids would stay at my grandparents home on Brower Lake for a couple weeks or so. Every year, Grandpa would build another boat of some kind. Part of our job was to help build them and to help maintain the existing boats. The new ones were made of whatever wood he could scrounge up. Caulked seams were filled with white lead paste and the boats were painted with lead based paint. Maybe that's whats wrong with me today? I have built several 1:12 scale replicas of some of those boats as I recall them. The pics are posted somewhere in the Canoe build threads.

All this canoe stuff has renewed in me a desire to build another 1:1 canoe though. I've thought about it for a few years now, but this thread has really peaked my interest. I just might have to prepare for a build in the shop this winter. I need to talk to Dave about possible lumber supplies for an 18 or 19 footer. HMMMMM. Just thinking.

EJ
Following in the wake of your previous posts and photos I went to local machinists tool supply store to buy a pair of the 1-2-3 blocks as well as a 4-inch machinists pocket square which is marked off on the sides with 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64 gradations. It too has a heavy base so it stands up very solidly. Spendy but nice.
Question for your lumber order. . . did you order wider sheets to rip down to strip widths or order the strips to specified size. I am considering ripping a sheet to save money but unless it is accurate it will create problems that money could have solved. Thanks for your thoughts. PT-2

Following in the wake of your previous posts and photos I went to local machinists tool supply store to buy a pair of the 1-2-3 blocks as well as a 4-inch machinists pocket square which is marked off on the sides with 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64 gradations. It too has a heavy base so it stands up very solidly. Spendy but nice.
Question for your lumber order. . . did you order wider sheets to rip down to strip widths or order the strips to specified size. I am considering ripping a sheet to save money but unless it is accurate it will create problems that money could have solved. Thanks for your thoughts. PT-2

I ordered the precut strips from Dave, and a precut strip package from sergy In Moscow. I have the stuff from Dave in both cherry and cedar. The stuff from Sergy is European Pear and I bought it just because I was curious about the wood. Most builders that have used it seem to think it's the cat's meow.

I bought the strip packages because I was just getting into doing my own cutting. I have a full, professional wood shop from when I was a carpenter/cabinetmaker, but breaking it down to micro size was a safety issue, re ripping 3/32" square strips on a 10" contractors table saw with a blade that cut a 1/8" kerf. I have developed a cutting system using my full size table saw, Band saw, jointer and planer to break down large sections and the mini table saw and mini sander (in progress) to fine tune them. I'll be able to make modeling lumber from any species I want.

I had ordered a Micro Mark rip saw because it was on sale from $129.00 to $89.00. I don't need all the extras and a tilting arbor, plus for a tool I'll probably use for 10 minutes to 30 minutes four times a year, the $300.00 to $400.00 saws seemed like overkill. I'll make my own sliding table and a featherboard and fence extension, saving another $40.00 or so. I did some test cutting on it making 3/32" square sticks of California redwood and Michigan Poplar and I'm happy with the results.

Same with a thickness sander. $350. 00 to $500.00 seems an outrageous price to me, again based on the usage factor. I use my shop table saw maybe 8 hours a week now (I've been retired 15 years), but will probably only use the sander 4 times per year to once a month for a short period of time. I'm now in the process of building a thickness sander that will utilize my full size wood lathe as the basis for the machine. Similar to some I've seen on line and the Luthier's friend type using a sanding drum. See (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/another-homemade-thickness-sander.5668/#post-117445), I'll be posting more on that thread.

All depends on what you want / need and whether you are able and willing to take the time to fabricate basic machine tools and attachments yourself.

EJ

Last edited:
I ordered the precut strips from Dave, and a precut strip package from sergy In Moscow. I have the stuff from Dave in both cherry and cedar. The stuff from Sergy is European Pear and I bought it just because I was curious about the wood. Most builders that have used it seem to thing it's the cat's meow.

I bought the strip packages because I was just getting into doing my own cutting. I have a full, professional wood shop from when I was a carpenter/cabinetmaker, but breaking it down to micro size was a safety issue, re ripping 3/32" square strips on a 10" contractors table saw with a blade that cut a 1/8" kerf. I did some test cutting on it and I'm happy. I have developed a cutting system using my full size table saw, Band saw, jointer and planer to break down large sections and the mini table saw and mini sander (in progress) to fine tune them. I'll be able to make modeling lumber from any species I want.

I had ordered a Micro Mark rip saw because it was on sale from $129.00 to $89.00. I don't need all the extras and a tilting arbor, plus for a tool I'll probably use for 10 minutes to 30 minutes four times a year, the $300.00 to $400.00 saws seemed like overkill. I'll make my own sliding table and a featherboard and fence extension, saving another $40.00 or so.

Same with a thickness sander. $350. 00 to $500.00 seems an outrageous price to me, again based on the usage factor. I use my shop table saw maybe 8 hours a week now (I've been retired 15 years), but will probably only use the sander 4 times per year to once a month for a short period of time. I'm now in the process of building a thickness sander that will utilize my full size wood lathe as the basis for the machine. Similar to some I've seen on line and the Luthier's friend type using a sanding drum. See (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/another-homemade-thickness-sander.5668/#post-117445), I'll be posting more on that thread.

All depends on what you want / need and whether you are able and willing to take the time to fabricate basic machine tools and attachments yourself.

EJ
Good summary for builds and life. PT-2

Finished up the 1:1 door install on friday, modifying the concrete at the sill and installing the flat aluminum sill, the brush type sweep and caulking/sealing the frame inside and out with Polyurethane sealant/adhesive. Also, made and installed jamb extensions and casing for the interior where I had to cut back the paneling and stuff for the frame to fit. Man, this install went very well and the door fits perfectly. The push button security lock installed easily as the factory had pre prepped the installation holes to template. Got to go back once more for an hour or so to feather out the concrete in front of the sill to eliminate the "bump" for wheelchair access, and, touch up a couple paint scratches and paint the interior trim.

trquaBq.jpg

47mT8p1.jpg

I forgot - Went to our first IPMS club meeting yesterday. We used to meet in a church basement, but they don't want us there because of the covid restrictions here. Since the first of March, we've been talking with a school called "The Aviation Academy" It's out by the airport on the grounds. There is an engineering school and an aviation school. The room we met in is a workroom with about 20 stainless steel workstations. There are two wing frames and a mini helicopter frame under construction there BY THE STUDENTS. These will be actual flying aircraft when done. I was really Really impressed with the simply beautiful riveting and welding on both the steel and aluminum parts. This school is amazing, and they seem to really want us there. There is space for us to do local shows and even a regional competition, as well as work spaces for our build-n-show day and classrooms for our regular meetings. The kids are required to do so many hours of volunteer work, so they jump at the chance to help set up for shows and such. And, all this is free! All we need to do is let any of the kids become members of the club. That's a no-brainer. Our aircraft modelers are really excited about it all. I have volunteered to mentor as a building person for bridges, towers, boomilevers etc for their Science Olympiad program. I did that at another charter school for 5 years where some of my grandkids attended.

Well lighted, spacious, very very clean, modern. The club uses the state recommended covid guidelines, wear a mask, temp taken when arriving, disinfecting the workspaces when we're done and social distancing. The workspaced had 4 stools each, so we each took one station, using 1 stool. Plenty of space. One wall of the space had a giant overhead door which they had opened. It was like working outdoors. How sweet it was. It was good to be back with our model group again.

The builds being worked on were, cleats for my lightning, a Coast guard tugboat, parts for a diorama, several autos, two armour, and a PE kit of a ferris wheel, and 3 different aircraft, among others.

EJ

Finished up the 1:1 door install on friday, modifying the concrete at the sill and installing the flat aluminum sill, the brush type sweep and caulking/sealing the frame inside and out with Polyurethane sealant/adhesive. Also, made and installed jamb extensions and casing for the interior where I had to cut back the paneling and stuff for the frame to fit. Man, this install went very well and the door fits perfectly. The push button security lock installed easily as the factory had pre prepped the installation holes to template. Got to go back once more for an hour or so to feather out the concrete in front of the sill to eliminate the "bump" for wheelchair access, and, touch up a couple paint scratches and paint the interior trim.

trquaBq.jpg

47mT8p1.jpg

I forgot - Went to our first IPMS club meeting yesterday. We used to meet in a church basement, but they don't want us there because of the covid restrictions here. Since the first of March, we've been talking with a school called "The Aviation Academy" It's out by the airport on the grounds. There is an engineering school and an aviation school. The room we met in is a workroom with about 20 stainless steel workstations. There are two wing frames and a mini helicopter frame under construction there BY THE STUDENTS. These will be actual flying aircraft when done. I was really Really impressed with the simply beautiful riveting and welding on both the steel and aluminum parts. This school is amazing, and they seem to really want us there. There is space for us to do local shows and even a regional competition, as well as work spaces for our build-n-show day and classrooms for our regular meetings. The kids are required to do so many hours of volunteer work, so they jump at the chance to help set up for shows and such. And, all this is free! All we need to do is let any of the kids become members of the club. That's a no-brainer. Our aircraft modelers are really excited about it all. I have volunteered to mentor as a building person for bridges, towers, boomilevers etc for their Science Olympiad program. I did that at another charter school for 5 years where some of my grandkids attended.

Well lighted, spacious, very very clean, modern. The club uses the state recommended covid guidelines, wear a mask, temp taken when arriving, disinfecting the workspaces when we're done and social distancing. The workspaced had 4 stools each, so we each took one station, using 1 stool. Plenty of space. One wall of the space had a giant overhead door which they had opened. It was like working outdoors. How sweet it was. It was good to be back with our model group again.

The builds being worked on were, cleats for my lightning, a Coast guard tugboat, parts for a diorama, several autos, two armour, and a PE kit of a ferris wheel, and 3 different aircraft, among others.

EJ
Now that is diversified versatility across a broad spectrum of projects. Keep up your stamina. PT-2

EJ

Wow... Sounds like you have a great club....And NOW, a great location.!!
I'm envious..Exclamation-MarkExclamation-Mark

Wow... Sounds like you have a great club....And NOW, a great location.!!
I'm envious..Exclamation-MarkExclamation-Mark

Yes. I'm looking forward to working with the kids too. Both in the model building part and in the Science Olympiad part. In the past, these kids at these specialized charter schools were great to work with. They are very motivated, very respectful, and great manners. Three of my grand kids went to one, so I got involved then with the Science Olympiad program then and stayed for 5 years while the went through the grades. The science teacher was a fun and dedicated guy and we are good friends now.

The new school is more dedicated yet to engineering and aviation. It will be interesting to see their program in action. My younger son's boy goes there in the computer science specialty area. No, grandpa will not be looking over his shoulder.

At our next meeting I'll take some pics of the school.

EJ

Yes. I'm looking forward to working with the kids too. Both in the model building part and in the Science Olympiad part. In the past, these kids at these specialized charter schools were great to work with. They are very motivated, very respectful, and great manners. Three of my grand kids went to one, so I got involved then with the Science Olympiad program then and stayed for 5 years while the went through the grades. The science teacher was a fun and dedicated guy and we are good friends now.

The new school is more dedicated yet to engineering and aviation. It will be interesting to see their program in action. My younger son's boy goes there in the computer science specialty area. No, grandpa will not be looking over his shoulder.

At our next meeting I'll take some pics of the school.

EJ
Yes. please do the pictures.!!
Don't remember if I've mentioned it here. My very first real attraction, other than girls..!!, was to aviation.!! I learned to fly 40+ years ago, bought my own plane, flew it and serviced it until I went back into the military. Military pilot as well. Flew helicopters for the Army, and trained other pilots in Instrument flight at unit level. Medical history has kept me from flying since I retired, but I sure miss it.!!

When I left the military I transitioned into education. Taught high school and college classes, and worked in college administration as well. You are quite correct about charter schools and/or magnet schools. The level of self-discipline within the students is terrific. They are so much better equipped for their future than public education students.... And it pains me to say that.!!

Howard

What is the current status of your Lighting to be presented with sails furled as at the dock. I can't wait to go out sailing again, even if in my mind only. PT=2

Back