Endurance by OcCre 1:70

Hey shipmates! I started my second build, the HMS Endurance by OcCre, after completing the Albatros. I learned so much from SoS the first go around, I'm excited about this ship and adding in some of the detail I learned about by posting and following other awesome builds. It was a couple of months after I finished the Albatros that I started the Endurance, so to slow-roll into my new build, I started with the boats just to get going again. Also, the metal boat supplied by OcCre for the Albatros was very uninspiring (I understand as the Albatros is a beginner build), so I really wanted to build some nice boats. I've finished the boats and am ready to move on to the ship. Summer is not the best ship-building time, as we end up spending a lot more time outside, but I've gotten some done and am looking forward to working on it more in the fall. Here are some pictures of the Endeavor unpacked and my progress with the boats. The builders on this forum were extremely helpful with my first build, so please offer pointers and recommendations when you see me about to screw something up. Thanks shipmates! IMG_0304 (1).jpegIMG_0305.jpegIMG_0310.jpegIMG_0311.jpegIMG_0338.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've learned that the Endeavor was not actually an "HMS." Anyone know how to edit my title?

I will follow your building log and progress with big interest

I'll definitely be following. I chose the Endurance for my second build as, I too, liked the black hull and that it is a different project than the rigging and cannons on my first build.
I'm currently on second layer planking. No small boats yet though (see my build log).
Good luck a and enjoy the build.

i will be watching your build with great interest as I have this kit in my stash, albeit it is 3rd in line (from my avatar picture it can be noticed that I am committed to get to it and finish it)

Definitely an upgrade from the metal kit boats. And if you're still looking for some beautiful (and incredibly detailed) boats, you should look at Master Korabel boats. They're 1:72 I believe and have different sizes. I got one from Crafty Sailor and I was really impressed at the quality. I haven't finished it yet as I'm more busy doing the San Francisco bur I'll soon get back to it. 20220728_183116.jpg

For my first build, the Albatross, I felt like the model looked too much like a model. You know what I mean. So I wanted to age my second build and add some detail and realism as best I could. So when I started planking the deck I used a 5B pencil to darken the edges of the plank to simulate tar. I also watered down some walnut stain and lightly painted the deck so the planks weren't so light and shiny.
IMG_0394.jpegIMG_0395.jpegIMG_0396.jpegIMG_0378.jpeg

I laid out the deck planking scheme and thought I was pretty clever. I staggered the planks in 3 groups by 3cm. But I probably should have done 4 groups so the treenails would have lined up with frames. I think it came out looking nice, just may not be that accurate or realistic.
IMG_0405.jpegIMG_0406.jpegIMG_0407.jpeg

Had to fix a few mistakes. As you can see the entrance is wrong. I put the frame in backwards. I also cut the planks short on the corners (made the same mistake on my first build). IMG_0413.jpeg

I have a question for the group. I'm trying to add some realism and was wondering if these areas, on a real ship, would be planked? The kit says to paint them white and add some trim pieces. I thought I'd seen someone horizontally plank the sides (I don't know the name for the rails) but I can't find any good examples on the forum. This is what the kit says to do:
Image.png

This is where I am in the build:
IMG_0415.HEIC.jpegIMG_0416.HEIC.jpegIMG_0417.HEIC.jpeg

My question is, can I plank the side rails and the part I have here painted white, then paint the planks white and add the trim? Or is that too unrealistic?

I have a question for the group. I'm trying to add some realism and was wondering if these areas, on a real ship, would be planked? The kit says to paint them white and add some trim pieces. I thought I'd seen someone horizontally plank the sides (I don't know the name for the rails) but I can't find any good examples on the forum. This is what the kit says to do:
View attachment 335911

This is where I am in the build:
View attachment 335912View attachment 335913View attachment 335914

My question is, can I plank the side rails and the part I have here painted white, then paint the planks white and add the trim? Or is that too unrealistic?
In my opinion I would do exactly what you are thinking. I don’t believe it would be unrealistic.

Back