Endurance by OcCre 1:70

I have a question for the group. I'm trying to add some realism and was wondering if these areas, on a real ship, would be planked? The kit says to paint them white and add some trim pieces. I thought I'd seen someone horizontally plank the sides (I don't know the name for the rails) but I can't find any good examples on the forum. This is what the kit says to do:
View attachment 335911

This is where I am in the build:
View attachment 335912View attachment 335913View attachment 335914

My question is, can I plank the side rails and the part I have here painted white, then paint the planks white and add the trim? Or is that too unrealistic?
Being almost a complete novice, I was a bit concerned about possible knock-on effects of planking all round the mid and stern decks as regards trims not fitting etc. I need not have worried.
I did plank the mid ships cabin, known as the Ritz by the crew, using 0.06 x 5mm sapele strips left over from my previous build. I should have paid more attention to scale and cut them down to 2.5mm but, hey, you learn as you go.

IMG_20220829_183715.jpgI would go for it if I were starting over.

Being almost a complete novice, I was a bit concerned about possible knock-on effects of planking all round the mid and stern decks as regards trims not fitting etc. I need not have worried.
I did plank the mid ships cabin, known as the Ritz by the crew, using 0.06 x 5mm sapele strips left over from my previous build. I should have paid more attention to scale and cut them down to 2.5mm but, hey, you learn as you go.

View attachment 336074I would go for it if I were starting over.
Thanks, Barcomad! I'm going to do it. I see what you're saying about scale, I hadn't even thought of that. I have plenty of leftover .06 x 5mm planks I can use. I can try and rip them in half to 2.5mm wide planks but I'm not sure how that'll come out, not sure if I have the technique yet. But I agree 2.5mm would be best. If I can't get consistent 2.5mm ripped planks I may have to go with the 5mm, but I'll give it a shot. Any technique advice on ripping?

Thanks, Barcomad! I'm going to do it. I see what you're saying about scale, I hadn't even thought of that. I have plenty of leftover .06 x 5mm planks I can use. I can try and rip them in half to 2.5mm wide planks but I'm not sure how that'll come out, not sure if I have the technique yet. But I agree 2.5mm would be best. If I can't get consistent 2.5mm ripped planks I may have to go with the 5mm, but I'll give it a shot. Any technique advice on ripping?
I'm not the guy to ask about technique, on the odd occasion I've tried it has taken several attempts to get anything like a straight edge. Always follows the grain. Perhaps sandwiched between masking tape?
Would like to hear the outcome..

I'm not the guy to ask about technique, on the odd occasion I've tried it has taken several attempts to get anything like a straight edge. Always follows the grain. Perhaps sandwiched between masking tape?
Would like to hear the outcome..
I hope to experiment today. I'll post my progress. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Good tip with the masking tape. Taping a 5mm plank to my mat and using a metal edge and scalpel to rip the board worked well. I got better results after doing it a few times, and I avoided cutting my fingers with the scalpel, which was a small victory in and of itself.
IMG_0419.HEIC.jpegIMG_0420.HEIC.jpegIMG_0421.HEIC.jpeg

Started planking the hull. OcCre instructions say to attach the planks on using the brass tacks and PVA, then to file the tacks down when you're ready to sand. But on the last PcCre ship, my first, someone on the site recommended that I remove the tacks instead and recommended a pair of pliers to help do the job. I did that and am glad I did, I don't think filing the heads of the tacks down would have worked, and if it did it probably wouldn't have been worth the trouble. So doing that again on the Endurance. Learned a trick, push the tacks in at an angle. If you have to hammer any in tight the angle will help you get them out.
IMG_0440.jpg

If you ever want to look at a series of videos about building a large sailing boat, go to YouTube and search for the "Tally Ho"restoration. These guys get this hundred year old boat and completely strip in down to each tiny piece and rebuild it, bring it up to date and when it's done they want to sail it back to UK where it was built originally. To watch these guys do the carpentry work is a huge education in itself and the joinery they do is incredible. There are over a hundred videos in the series and most are about fifteen minutes long and just packed full of hints and tips that could be used for model boats too. Also give a good idea on the proper fit of every piece of wood in the boat. Very worth watching for any boat builder.

Hello Kramer,

You ae doing a great job on the Endurance. I am also building the Endurance, but I am not as far along. As far as planking the deck cabins, yes they are planked The forward cabin is planked with larger planks than the rear of the aft cabin. I will include some pictures. Also I have been using a tool called a Master Airscrew Balsa Stripper. With thin basswood it works very well for cutting planks.

Bill

end30.jpg

end31.jpg

Hello Kramer,

You ae doing a great job on the Endurance. I am also building the Endurance, but I am not as far along. As far as planking the deck cabins, yes they are planked The forward cabin is planked with larger planks than the rear of the aft cabin. I will include some pictures. Also I have been using a tool called a Master Airscrew Balsa Stripper. With thin basswood it works very well for cutting planks.

Bill

View attachment 340202

View attachment 340201
Thanks, Bill for the recommendation on the balsa stripper. Looks like another handy little tool, I'm accumulating a lot! I need to start digging up more pictures of the Endurance so I can add some detail.

Hello Kramer,

Most of the pictures that I have found are on the Getty Images site. They have gathered over forty pictures of the Endurance.

Bill
There are some very good pictures in Alfred Lancing's book but most of those can also be found on the Internet.
Study of the available photos shows a lot of differences with the real shop and the Occre kit.
Beware - a Google search for endurance images also brings up photos from the nimrod expedition and other shops that have searched.

Hello Barcomad,

I agree. There are many differences between the Occre kit and the actual ship. Likewise, I also agree that one must be careful when looking at pictures of the Endurance. I have seen the Nimrod shown as the Endurance in several pictures. I have also seen a third ship that was thrown into the mix, but I don't know what its name is.

Bill

Back