ENDURANCE by OCCRE [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great job on your model. I am building an endurance also. Just curious, how did you attach the lifeboat davits to the ship. Did you drill holes and just glue the metal davits into the wood holes. It seems kind of precarious. Without a screw or a lashing, the weight of the lifeboats over time would seem to put pressure on those attachment points. Any advice would be appreciated. Like what glue did you use for that.

Great job on your model. I am building an endurance also. Just curious, how did you attach the lifeboat davits to the ship. Did you drill holes and just glue the metal davits into the wood holes. It seems kind of precarious. Without a screw or a lashing, the weight of the lifeboats over time would seem to put pressure on those attachment points. Any advice would be appreciated. Like what glue did you use for that.
Here's how I did it. https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-1-70-jeff-t-completed-build.9004/post-266341

Great work. I am new to sailing ship modelling and have reached the running rigging of the Endurance. I am pretty happy with the major structure for a first time effort. However, the videos and instructions for the running rigging leave a bit to be desired. For example, ropes JT40 and JT63 come through pulley blocks in front of the square sails but are supposed to be tied off on a deadeye behind the foremast (JT40) and to a belay pin (JT63) also behind the foremast. I also note that many of the rigging lines need to be tied off to belaying pins that are behind the shrouds and almost impossible to access.
I note your great ideas that may have solved this if implemented earlier but I thought following the instructions would avoid these sorts of issues.
At the moment I see great risk of destroying the safety fences or the standing rigging while trying to tie off these lines. Any ideas on how the running rigging should be progressed would be most welcome.

Great work. I am new to sailing ship modelling and have reached the running rigging of the Endurance. I am pretty happy with the major structure for a first time effort. However, the videos and instructions for the running rigging leave a bit to be desired. For example, ropes JT40 and JT63 come through pulley blocks in front of the square sails but are supposed to be tied off on a deadeye behind the foremast (JT40) and to a belay pin (JT63) also behind the foremast. I also note that many of the rigging lines need to be tied off to belaying pins that are behind the shrouds and almost impossible to access.
I note your great ideas that may have solved this if implemented earlier but I thought following the instructions would avoid these sorts of issues.
At the moment I see great risk of destroying the safety fences or the standing rigging while trying to tie off these lines. Any ideas on how the running rigging should be progressed would be most welcome.
Hello KayJay,

I am not the person you addressed, but I have also built Endurance and encountered the same issue. As you can see in the image below my solution was to switch JT40/49 with JT53/54 and switch JT27/28 (a similar situation) with JT35/35. Whether this is historically correct or not I do not know but it seemed more practical. As far as both JT63 ropes are concerned I suspect this is correct as shown in the instructions, but in reality it is likely that extra pulleys were installed that are just not part of the design of this kit.
Regarding the belaying points behind the shrouds I am afraid this is one of the challenges of modeling sailing ships. Personally I had more trouble with the rigging that is tied of at the foot of the main mast. Good luck with your build.

End Rig_01.jpg

Last edited:
Hello KayJay,

I am not the person you addressed, but I have also built Endurance and encountered the same issue. As you can see in the image below my solution was to switch JT40/49 with JT53/54 and switch JT27/28 (a similar situation) with JT35/35. Whether this is historically correct or not I do not know but it seemed more practical. As far as both JT63 ropes are concerned I suspect this is correct as shown in the instructions, but in reality it is likely that extra pulleys were installed that are just not part of the design of this kit.
Regarding the belaying points behind the shrouds I am afraid this is one of the challenges of modeling sailing ships. Personally I had more trouble with the rigging that is tied of at the foot of the main mast. Good luck with your build.

View attachment 408016
Thanks very much. I think I will depart from the plans for the rigging for the foremast. Yes, the main mast tie-off points will be a challenge. I have already done the two lines JT68 and JT69 with some difficulty. I intend to adopt a technique mentioned elsewhere on this site to do the rigging from the bottom up. That is to allow more flexibility by tying off the lines at the dead eyes before feeding them through the pulley blocks. It is heartening to see that others have had the same problems with the rigging design. Thanks again for your help it is very much appreciated.

Back