Enterprise Maryland 1799 1:51 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Taking a break from remodeling/\.

About to take on the rigging and have a question.
How to tie the dead eyes together.

Done some research and some examples show starting with tying a knot on the first hole, then thread through the other two holes.
But not sure how they tie off the end piece. One example talked about frapping or wrapping the end piece.

My thinking was to run the thread through all the holes and then tie the two end pieces togehter.

Maybe someone knows a build log where they explain this a little better.

I'll keep looking in the mean time.

View attachment 178161
I’ve worn out the pages in this book. Jimsky’s second picture is on page two, less the paper clip.

Jan
we have this very good book also in our Book Review area:
Highly recommended when you do rigging works

Taking a break from remodeling/\.

About to take on the rigging and have a question.
How to tie the dead eyes together.

Done some research and some examples show starting with tying a knot on the first hole, then thread through the other two holes.
But not sure how they tie off the end piece. One example talked about frapping or wrapping the end piece.

My thinking was to run the thread through all the holes and then tie the two end pieces togehter.

Maybe someone knows a build log where they explain this a little better.

I'll keep looking in the mean time.
I think Donnie has a YouTube video on lanyards at

There are other videos on ratlines on youtube. I think Donnie has one. If you click on my Constitution, you can see my progress on doing lanyards and ratlines. The first ones weren't that great, but I think I have progressed some with experience.

Managing to get some work done on the bowspirit as the air quality makes working in the backyard inadvisable.
Once that is done I believe the foremast is next.
Here's my pondering, do I work on the mast(s) off ship or on ship?
I've read suggestions that say to make a jig for the mast(s) to work on as it will be easier.
Any thoughts on this?

Managing to get some work done on the bowspirit as the air quality makes working in the backyard inadvisable.
Once that is done I believe the foremast is next.
Here's my pondering, do I work on the mast(s) off ship or on ship?
I've read suggestions that say to make a jig for the mast(s) to work on as it will be easier.
Any thoughts on this?
Funny I didn't know any better at the time I build my version, so I worked on the masts on the the ship, but I did all dry fitting and worked on the lower masts first. I did figure out that the sail hoops should be placed on the masts before the top portion of the masts are placed.

Jan

I just built up by steps. One section of mast, then shrouds and rat lines. Then next section of mast and shrouds. That way it was easier to seize by wrapping smaller line around the top. I started with the foremast, but I would now make it my last one if I had to do it over again. The fore stays pulled the mast a little forward and it had no support from the other masts.

Here's the latest on the build.

First, I mounted the anchor.
Nothing to challenging.

DSC01674.thumb.JPG.6feaec12b1b4899c5ddf9a548627e1c6.JPG

DSC01675.thumb.JPG.113477f6e76f5f3693e4e9e6c6b8a3c7.JPG

In the below picture one can see that the tackle block is secured to the cathead with a knot. This is different from the instructions in the manual which secures the line to an eyebolt. Just another difference between the various Enterprise 1799 models.

DSC01676.thumb.JPG.e536b894b5f26b80a99b81178d7eedbc.JPG

Next up will be the first mast, the bow spirit.

Putting on the bowspirit was slightly more complicated than the anchors.
I first put on the last 2 deadeyes.

(Looking at the picture I now see that the deadeye loop is open at the top. Will need to go back and tie it closed.)

DSC01678.thumb.JPG.8c000c42dcb70b2ad6b0d1db35d34afc.JPG

Then I had to trim the end of the mast to fit within the fife rails.
In retrospect I should have have just rebuilt the rail. Mark that down as being to lazy.
DSC01679.thumb.JPG.34ea1eaf4be2534144748657156d13b0.JPG
DSC01680.thumb.JPG.564c13069dd02063728b8043414e8e48.JPG

Although it looks well placed in the pic below, later I find out that the mast does not lie straight. So I end up fiddling with the pieces to get a straight lie. Again, would have saved time if I just rebuilt the fife rail.
DSC01681.thumb.JPG.ac18c5b3f0a84e84e63535d196d88da6.JPG

Next post, bowspirit rigging.....

I noticed in the manual and on some online pictures that a hook is used to attach to eyebolts.

Not having any I decided to make my own.

I'm using .81mm wire.
Here's the end product..
DSC01696.thumb.JPG.9f0b6d319e5df925ed39ae19d8b79348.JPG

.. and here's how I got there....
Used some wire wrapping pliers to get the initial hook bend.
DSC01691.thumb.JPG.9c6a260382c233c7192536537c2aebd4.JPG

Made as tight a bend as I could.
DSC01692.thumb.JPG.5769f9fbb64683c99fc02b0fdf1185d0.JPG

Hammered on the end hook piece till it flatten.
DSC01693.thumb.JPG.36e736b5422c902f3c1910911dd93a22.JPG

Then cut the hook end at a slight angle, making it pointed. Then used the wire twisting tool to form the bottom loop.
DSC01695.thumb.JPG.bd19bc1730490f98ba55defffab58bd5.JPG

Trimmed off the excess wire and filed the hook, and done
:)

Here's a pic of it in use.
DSC01705-2.jpg.68019d54efb73484cb912c3f30a151bf.jpg

I try to not just post just completed pictures of a build part.
I think adding the "how-to" is beneficial to others, even if it's already been done a 100 times by other modelers.

Hope that helps someone
:)

Last edited:
My build log.
Here's what I'm aiming for.

Update 9/2020: Attached build plans in pdf form

View attachment 123220
Okay, I found the plans. I don't recall the plans this big, but I guess they were.
Thank you very much. This was a really big request, much bigger than I realized. You were very generous to copy and forward the two files.

Russ Haynes
Arroyo Grande, CA

The making of the first shroud :)
First I measured the distance to each block and tackle side, then I added another 6 inches of line just for good measures. I'm using 1 pieces of line that will tie off on both sides of the ship.

DSC01709.JPG

Started the frapping process,

DSC01710.JPG

and done!
DSC01713.JPG

Snugged up the frap line to close the loop a little more.

DSC01715.JPG

Test fitted it over the mast

DSC01717.JPG

Continued the process ..
DSC01718.JPG

Only 2 more to go for the foremast.
The shrouds are not glued down yet, as well the foremast is not either.

Did the same thing for the main mast..

Next up, tie on the deadeyes and attach to the hull.

Back