Enterprise Maryland 1799 - Constructo Kit (1st Attempt)

Hi Carl,

Plank Bending

Click on the above.

This what I did for my Enterprise build.

Jan
Thanks Jan, I saw that in your log, I just wasn't sure about the soaking, so overnight then clamp on the jig. I made a smaller jig out of scrap 1 by. I kept "female" side of what I cut so that I could sandwich the planks. I will give that a go and see how it turns out.

No pics this post, but I think I got the knack of bending planks and applying them to the bulkheads. So for me, I used a golf club tube, my wife gave me a gift card and I bought a new bag that separated the clubs, so I closed one end of the tube, duck tape to the rescue! and filled it with warm water and to keep the planks from floating, believe it or not, the top of a Tito's bottle (empty of course) makes a perfect stopper.
The only draw back, I can only soak two planks at a time because that's all my makeshift jig can safely accommodate, until I figure something else out. But I'm in no rush. At this point, still doing the first planking only have two installed. Hopefully I can make another jig soon.
I will send another pic when I get at least halfway done with this step. I wanted to thank all that have been helping me it's greatly appreciated.

It has been a while, and I think I got the bending of the planks, somewhat, now I am doing the measuring to figure out how to trim down the planks towards the bow. Also, I am trying my hand with an electric plank bender because the Enterprise planking seems to need some twisting as well as bending, from what I am experiencing. I am also using the method where I split the planking by running one plank between the false keel and first plank that sits at deck level. I still need to bend the planks at the stern so they can be attached. I have not yet given up the ship!

Attachments

• ReferencePlank1.jpg
    ReferencePlank1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 8
  • referenceplank2.jpg
    referenceplank2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 8
It has been a while, and I think I got the bending of the planks, somewhat, now I am doing the measuring to figure out how to trim down the planks towards the bow. Also, I am trying my hand with an electric plank bender because the Enterprise planking seems to need some twisting as well as bending, from what I am experiencing. I am also using the method where I split the planking by running one plank between the false keel and first plank that sits at deck level. I still need to bend the planks at the stern so they can be attached. I have not yet given up the ship!
If you remove the char on the bulkheads, you can use tick marks. Or mark with something you can see on the char.
Measure with a tape, the length along the largest bulkhead. Divide that by the width of the planks. That will give you the number of planks needed. Then measure each bulkhead and divide by that number of planks to get the width of each plank on that bulkhead. Then you can pre taper each plank accordingly. Just mark the location of each bulkhead on the plank and mark the width at that location and average across those points with a line. Then cut along that line.
It’s a lot of extra work, but will help ensure you average the taper correctly. Hope that makes sense.

To go along with Dean’s explanation. I created a simple spread sheet to determine the plank tapering for my Krick Alert build.

30E2FF95-BE43-48AC-A630-0575EC3C4543.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Jan

Attachments

• AB597129-B9AF-4FEB-892B-F1D033EE166F.png
    AB597129-B9AF-4FEB-892B-F1D033EE166F.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have never maintained a build log of the Models I have built, but since this is, what I will consider, my first attempt to build a plank on bulkhead model I would give it a go, though the intervals between posts may span longer than expected periods of time.

I will post pictures of the different stages of assembly and will probably ask a lot of questions as things get more gnarly from my own perspective.

As far as tools, I bought an X-Acto knife set that came with a plane, jigsaw and sanding block. I now have wood glue and super glue at the ready. What I don’t have is contact cement that I saw should be considered for some steps, if anyone can suggest one, I would be greatly appreciative.

To date, I have read through the instruction book at least 4 times and Step 1 at least twice. Following other modelers who built the Enterprise I have followed their lead and constructed a jig to hold the false keel and bulkheads. The image is of the completed stand with the false keel fastened to it and the bulkheads in place, not yet glued in place since I need to make another jig to ensure the bulkheads are perfectly perpendicular to the false keel. I will then add the mast wedges and beam.

Hallo Carl alias @cccampagn59
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Enterprise going?

Hallo Carl alias @cccampagn59
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Enterprise going?
Thank you so much! The build got stalled, working on my daughter's house for the past two months. I am still ptacticing my plank bending and figuring out twisting as well. I am hoping for mor pics with progress in the next few weeks. I hope!

Back