Esping in 1:64 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you for the compliment on the esping Tobias!

And thanks, as well, for your view of the progression of modeling (really, progression of the modeler). COULD I attempt a scratch build at this point? Yes, but I will suffer many setbacks and frustrations and that seems unwise. Building from a kit with quality instructions will ease me into the greater challenge of POF construction.

I should add (and I've mentioned this elsewhere) I have absolutely no experience using woodworking/metalworking tools (indeed, the man-arts are all foreign to me). When real men were taking shop classes in school, or getting experience in a trade/profession, or even as a hobby, I was learning how to be a healthcare clinician, running a small business, teaching and lecturing, etc. My hands are skilled, I have patience in abundance, but I'm actually scared of tools with motors that cut things (like my finger off). I have now been adding scaled down quality tools suitable for continuing in this hobby to accomplish the things I want to try - but having them and knowing how to use them, and getting quality results from them - well, that's all just in my imagination at this point.

Anyway, I appreciate very much the kind words and encouragements from members of this forum. It is a delight to share this hobby with so many kind and thoughtful people.
in my small way, try it I bet

I agree with Kurt @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS maybe just one kit, and then start with only plans. I started to work out a Dutch 2 decker (Hohenzollern). It is so much fun, making a plan to start with. Maybe a Dutch Pinas, there are books of Ab Hoving incl. Plans. A French ship. So much possibility's

And thanks, as well, for your view of the progression of modeling (really, progression of the modeler). COULD I attempt a scratch build at this point? Yes, but I will suffer many setbacks and frustrations and that seems unwise. Building from a kit with quality instructions will ease me into the greater challenge of POF construction.

I should add (and I've mentioned this elsewhere) I have absolutely no experience using woodworking/metalworking tools (indeed, the man-arts are all foreign to me). When real men were taking shop classes in school, or getting experience in a trade/profession, or even as a hobby, I was learning how to be a healthcare clinician, running a small business, teaching and lecturing, etc. My hands are skilled, I have patience in abundance, but I'm actually scared of tools with motors that cut things (like my finger off). I have now been adding scaled down quality tools suitable for continuing in this hobby to accomplish the things I want to try - but having them and knowing how to use them, and getting quality results from them - well, that's all just in my imagination at this point.

Anyway, I appreciate very much the kind words and encouragements from members of this forum. It is a delight to share this hobby with so many kind and thoughtful people.
Hello Paul,

I can appreciate your sentiments and concerns with regards to moving to POF. I have always subscribed to the Roy Underhill method of woodworking. I built large scale scratch RC aircraft for several decades with no more than a drill press and a band saw for powered tools. The most important thing to consider is your enjoyment. You build beautiful works of art and whatever you decide, I will be looking forward to following along with your adventure.

Bill

Continuing my concerns about framing in POF kits, and I am new to researching ship framing, you have to seek out information on framing styles for ships of different centuries and nationalities, and bash the kit until it succumbs. The hard part is finding that information, and what's harder is finding out what style of framing is used on your particular ship, since that is usually unknown and you have to make an educated guess. Below are some English examples.

Framing.jpg

Continuing my concerns about framing in POF kits, and I am new to researching ship framing, you have to seek out information on framing styles for ships of different centuries and nationalities, and bash the kit until it succumbs. The hard part is finding that information, and what's harder is finding out what style of framing is used on your particular ship, since that is usually unknown and you have to make an educated guess. Below are some English examples.

View attachment 346709
That's right, Paul... MORE to research!
Hopefully there is a book with such picky detail on whatever ship you select next. Cross your fingers.

I read somewhere dental tools can also make good quality model tools perhaps after their useful dentistry life, have you found this to be the case.

Yes the skill to craft something beautiful is an amazing thing, watching someone perform a task that doesn't look too hard then the unskilled person trying to do the same thing just makes it look impossible, how can that be, oh yes that's me.ROTFROTF

I read somewhere dental tools can also make good quality model tools perhaps after their useful dentistry life, have you found this to be the case.

Yes the skill to craft something beautiful is an amazing thing, watching someone perform a task that doesn't look too hard then the unskilled person trying to do the same thing just makes it look impossible, how can that be, oh yes that's me.ROTFROTF
Hi Richie,

Yes, I have some dental tools and pliers that I have borrowed from my office and find them useful. Of course, tools are just extensions of our hands...

Back