Esping in 1:64 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Paul. You owned this no doubt. Stunning work. I love the Vasa plaque being the stand for the Esping and the placement at the waterline. Going to be a beautiful display by your Vasa. Cheers Grant
Grant, I was SO WORRIED I wasn't going to receive your patented: you owned this on this little build. Now I can rest in peace... ROTF

Not sure if the stand/plaque thing works or not - but it was an 'inspired' thought one day as I wondered what to do with the plaque when it arrived in the mail looking rather clunky. Adding the little frame around it - led to mounting it at an angle - led to installing it on the stand for the esping... I appreciate your favorable review.

Last edited:
Decidí construir mi esping basado en una plantilla de casco sólido. Luego entablaré esa plantilla de casco sólido y luego quitaré el casco para agregar marcos y otros detalles después (primero el casco en lugar de primero el marco).

Un trozo de tilo en la mano Ahora he usado cemento de caucho para pegar mis planos al bloque de madera:

View attachment 340726

Luego usé los dibujos para crear plantillas de formas que corresponden a varias ubicaciones a lo largo del casco de la nave (aquí está, espero haber entendido los dibujos y cómo usar mejor las líneas de loft). Estas plantillas guiarán la configuración de la forma del casco sólido...

View attachment 340727

¡Deséame suerte!
no solo te deseo suerte,agrego que disfrutes de tus capacidades y llegues a buen puerto.Eduardo gil desde Argentina.

Hi Paul,

As said before wonderfull work and just finished before the holidays.

In respect to the lee boards your right. Only the one on the lee side is dropped in the water and functions as a keel to avoid drifting of the ship.
These are very common on dutch traditional sailing ships which are still upon our waters as sailing yacht up to today.

See below a brief film of these being in action on a Lemsteraak platbodem. In dutch the lee boards are called zwaarden (swords)

Wow what a beauty, great job, blinked and I missed this build too, you need to slow down Paul. ROTF
Thanks Richie! Building is fast when you don't need to make 10-50-100 of the same part for a big ship. I'm in research mode right now so I guess I would file that under 'slowing down' but I'm still working behind the scenes. I DO like this hobby! So much fun both learning and doing.

Very fine work. Outstanding. What’s your next scratch project going to be ? Join us with Le Rochefort ?
I thought about it - but reading the progress reports from some of you convinced me that I want to build from another kit next. I need a POF kit build to learn the terminology of framing a ship and get my brain around the anatomy/architecture.

I thought about it - but reading the progress reports from some of you convinced me that I want to build from another kit next. I need a POF kit build to learn the terminology of framing a ship and get my brain around the anatomy/architecture.
Well I understand that but,,,, if I can do it so can you !

Ich habe darüber nachgedacht - aber das Lesen der Fortschrittsberichte von einigen von Ihnen hat mich davon überzeugt, dass ich als nächstes aus einem anderen Bausatz bauen möchte. Ich brauche einen POF-Kit-Build, um die Terminologie für die Gestaltung eines Schiffs zu lernen und mein Gehirn mit der Anatomie / Architektur vertraut zu machen.
Hi Paul, I am thrilled and as I said really great work on the little boat.
Now to your train of thought regarding POF Le Rochefort and a kit, I can completely understand, I did it no differently with Le Coureur and then the beginning with La Palme. I also talked to Oliver at the time who just said "it's your thing, I wouldn't do it again". Yes, he was somehow right, on the one hand I have to say, to understand how everything works a kit is wonderful, even more so with two great role models like Adi and Uwe in the Le Coureur assembly, or Martin, Heinrich, Peter etc. in the other assemblies.
For my part, I quickly realised that I would like to build it myself, but knowing you Paul, what you have in mind will certainly be another highlight.

Hi Paul, I am thrilled and as I said really great work on the little boat.
Now to your train of thought regarding POF Le Rochefort and a kit, I can completely understand, I did it no differently with Le Coureur and then the beginning with La Palme. I also talked to Oliver at the time who just said "it's your thing, I wouldn't do it again". Yes, he was somehow right, on the one hand I have to say, to understand how everything works a kit is wonderful, even more so with two great role models like Adi and Uwe in the Le Coureur assembly, or Martin, Heinrich, Peter etc. in the other assemblies.
For my part, I quickly realised that I would like to build it myself, but knowing you Paul, what you have in mind will certainly be another highlight.
Thank you for the compliment on the esping Tobias!

And thanks, as well, for your view of the progression of modeling (really, progression of the modeler). COULD I attempt a scratch build at this point? Yes, but I will suffer many setbacks and frustrations and that seems unwise. Building from a kit with quality instructions will ease me into the greater challenge of POF construction.

I should add (and I've mentioned this elsewhere) I have absolutely no experience using woodworking/metalworking tools (indeed, the man-arts are all foreign to me). When real men were taking shop classes in school, or getting experience in a trade/profession, or even as a hobby, I was learning how to be a healthcare clinician, running a small business, teaching and lecturing, etc. My hands are skilled, I have patience in abundance, but I'm actually scared of tools with motors that cut things (like my finger off). I have now been adding scaled down quality tools suitable for continuing in this hobby to accomplish the things I want to try - but having them and knowing how to use them, and getting quality results from them - well, that's all just in my imagination at this point.

Anyway, I appreciate very much the kind words and encouragements from members of this forum. It is a delight to share this hobby with so many kind and thoughtful people.

And thanks, as well, for your view of the progression of modeling (really, progression of the modeler). COULD I attempt a scratch build at this point? Yes, but I will suffer many setbacks and frustrations and that seems unwise. Building from a kit with quality instructions will ease me into the greater challenge of POF construction.

I should add (and I've mentioned this elsewhere) I have absolutely no experience using woodworking/metalworking tools (indeed, the man-arts are all foreign to me). When real men were taking shop classes in school, or getting experience in a trade/profession, or even as a hobby, I was learning how to be a healthcare clinician, running a small business, teaching and lecturing, etc. My hands are skilled, I have patience in abundance, but I'm actually scared of tools with motors that cut things (like my finger off). I have now been adding scaled down quality tools suitable for continuing in this hobby to accomplish the things I want to try - but having them and knowing how to use them, and getting quality results from them - well, that's all just in my imagination at this point.

Anyway, I appreciate very much the kind words and encouragements from members of this forum. It is a delight to share this hobby with so many kind and thoughtful people.

rrrr.jpg

I think you could swing a scratch build. Time to put down the crutches, Paul and start walkin'. All you need is a set of plans for your next build. You already know the order of steps for building a hull. The thing to get used to is taking more time in planning each step, because things will go slower without kit instructions. but with your skills, relying on mediocre quality kit parts will only lessen your next build. The only thing that scares me about POF builds is that the frames in a POF kit could be very inaccurate, usually because there are too few of them and they are too thick, and they may not choose the correct joint type between the floor, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd futtocks. Historical accuracy and realism are my #1 concerns with kit designs. It is possible to buy a pre-made decorations set and a set of plans for some later 19th century ships and buy timbers from Dave at Lumberyard or some other supplier.

Decorations has always been the hard part for me to figure out how to make, harder than any rigging. Oh, and don't fear the Dremel. I haven't seen anyone get their arms ripped off like an angry wookie by one. Comfort using bandsaws and especially circular saws comes with practice, however. Look at it as an opportunity to learn, not lose body parts. Watch some YouTube videos and see how it's done, just like you did with things like planking. You don't need schooling, only a few starter videos, to get you offer to practicing with your tools safely. Know any tool-handy friends? Have them show you the basics. Heck, if you're in Minnesota anytime I could run you through a crash course in my shop, gas welding, lathe, mill, bandsaw, circular saw, hammer and anvil. You've impressed all of use with how you made an advanced ship like Wasa your first ship and make it come out better than most others while doing it. So, I encourage you to aim that same ambition toward learning new tools. Persevere and you'll amaze yourself.

Back