Esping in 1:64 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Are the big wings on the side used as paddles or rudders?
As Kurt (@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS) mentioned they function like a fixed keel but have the advantage of being lifted for entry into shallow water (like a centerboard). As I understand it only the leeward side leeboard is used at any time, as it submerges when the boat heels under the force of the wind.

14 gramms of beautiful workmanship - my Congratulations for finishing this amazing little model.
I like the idea to bring with the stand the esping on the same (water) level with your big one.

May I ask two questions, maybe already somewhere answered or discussed, but unfortunately I can not find these information.

the boat has on the sides these swords, which can be swinged out of or into the water

On one side you have two ropes for both directions, maybe better to fix the sword in poistion when it is in the water, mainly by the own weight it will hang down
View attachment 345716

othe other sword has only one of these ropes - Is there a special reason why this asymetrie
View attachment 345715

The second question (yellow arrow):
This boat has a flat bottom, so it can lay by tide on the ground without tilting
But I am surprised, why the stem or forefoot is much lower than the bottom of the boat - definitely you can not move the boat backwards laying in the mud
What is the reason, of such a special form
Hi Uwe (@Uwek),

Why the asymmetry of the ropes? I assumed the rope at the tip of the leeboard was only attached when the sword was stowed. But now that I think about it that might not make sense. I think I'll add the other rope (might look better anyway).

The question about the shape of the forward false keel is more difficult. In a posting about the longboat on the Vasa Warship forum there is a discussion of a skeg and in that discussion Dr. Hocker is quoted (something he posted on a now-defunct forum or message board). As the Vasa Warship forum is public I think I can provide this quote which might partially address your question:

Quote: "We have the skeg, which is a piece of oak 3.09 meters long, 150 mm deep and 100 mm wide at the after end. It tapers slightly in width from the upper surface to the bottom edge, and tapers away in depth to a feather edge at the forward end. It was nailed to the bottom, with an iron strap let into and wrapped around it about 190 mm from the after end, with the ends of the strap continuing up the sides of the sternpost. We have not located the piece that fairs the lower end of the stem into the bottom yet, but the nails I can see suggest is was much shorter, maybe only a meter of so long, and probably tapered to a feather edge as well. The after piece is not mounted on the boat, as it would greatly complicate the support structure, and does not yet appear on any drawings, since it was identified after we had completed documentation of the boat. We are planning a new support frame, which will allow us to mount the skeg, and I hope one day to find the forward piece in the stores, but it may not have been recovered.
Fred Hocker
"

I did not model the skeg (or the additional piece at the stem) as I was uncertain with regard to what was described in the above post.

I thank you, Uwe, for your excellent questions! I wish I had better answers...

First rate Paul, Others have said so in far greater detail than I can articulate. As to the stem, looking at you model in profile you would imagen another section tapering back to the bottom frames, maybe a defence when running up a beach? Never mind, perhaps you have forgotten that you already made the part and it will turn up in stores as per Dr. Hocker hopes. Seriously good modelling. Cheers JJ..

Hi Uwe (@Uwek),

Why the asymmetry of the ropes? I assumed the rope at the tip of the leeboard was only attached when the sword was stowed. But now that I think about it that might not make sense. I think I'll add the other rope (might look better anyway).

The question about the shape of the forward false keel is more difficult. In a posting about the longboat on the Vasa Warship forum there is a discussion of a skeg and in that discussion Dr. Hocker is quoted (something he posted on a now-defunct forum or message board). As the Vasa Warship forum is public I think I can provide this quote which might partially address your question:

Quote: "We have the skeg, which is a piece of oak 3.09 meters long, 150 mm deep and 100 mm wide at the after end. It tapers slightly in width from the upper surface to the bottom edge, and tapers away in depth to a feather edge at the forward end. It was nailed to the bottom, with an iron strap let into and wrapped around it about 190 mm from the after end, with the ends of the strap continuing up the sides of the sternpost. We have not located the piece that fairs the lower end of the stem into the bottom yet, but the nails I can see suggest is was much shorter, maybe only a meter of so long, and probably tapered to a feather edge as well. The after piece is not mounted on the boat, as it would greatly complicate the support structure, and does not yet appear on any drawings, since it was identified after we had completed documentation of the boat. We are planning a new support frame, which will allow us to mount the skeg, and I hope one day to find the forward piece in the stores, but it may not have been recovered.
Fred Hocker
"

I did not model the skeg (or the additional piece at the stem) as I was uncertain with regard to what was described in the above post.

I thank you, Uwe, for your excellent questions! I wish I had better answers...
Looks great!

Fantastic result!
I had the skeg at 4m length from a previous discussion with Fred back in 2009, you have more details on the shape in general so seem to originate from a more detailed measurement.
I'll update my sketches.. :)

For the front fairing, it was only mentioned 'a short tapered block', so I'll make a note of the 1 m length estimate. Thanks!

What did you use for the rudder size?
I have 9 inches per 10 feet length of the boat (Swedish measurement) from Thomas Rajalin's rather lengthy title "Nödig Underrättelse om Skiepz-Byggeriet och der utaf härflytande högnödige och siöwäsendet samt taklingen tillhörige proportioner efter höga wederbörandes befallning besrifwen på swänska och med nödige figurer förklarat." :)

Cheers,
Peter

Looks great!

Fantastic result!
I had the skeg at 4m length from a previous discussion with Fred back in 2009, you have more details on the shape in general so seem to originate from a more detailed measurement.
I'll update my sketches.. :)

For the front fairing, it was only mentioned 'a short tapered block', so I'll make a note of the 1 m length estimate. Thanks!

What did you use for the rudder size?
I have 9 inches per 10 feet length of the boat (Swedish measurement) from Thomas Rajalin's rather lengthy title "Nödig Underrättelse om Skiepz-Byggeriet och der utaf härflytande högnödige och siöwäsendet samt taklingen tillhörige proportioner efter höga wederbörandes befallning besrifwen på swänska och med nödige figurer förklarat." :)

Cheers,
Peter
Thank you kindly, Peter.

What did I use for the rudder size? No measurements - just followed some images shared with me by @Frank48 (though many of those were not of espingen but of Dutch boots and various English longboats). In other words - I just guessed. I was surprised that Clayton left off the rudder as have most others...

My goodness Paul, that is a stunning model - beautifully researched, constructed and photographed.
Thank you Roger. I can't imagine having more fun building a model than I did with this one. I learned a bit about how to read plans, got to try my hand on a scratch build, and got it done in short order. A happy experience!

Wow Paul! I think you've found your avocation, scratch building. Fit and finish is amazing and the relative scales of all the elements.... The feeling when we complete something we are truly pleased with, we sometimes think to ourselves, YES! I'm sure you've thought something close to this when you stepped back and graded yourself on this wonderful little boat. If you didn't you may have a problem... ROTF

Wow Paul! I think you've found your avocation, scratch building. Fit and finish is amazing and the relative scales of all the elements.... The feeling when we complete something we are truly pleased with, we sometimes think to ourselves, YES! I'm sure you've thought something close to this when you stepped back and graded yourself on this wonderful little boat. If you didn't you may have a problem... ROTF
Very kind Ken. Yes, I have to say I'm not disappointed with the results on this one.

Last edited:
Back