Esping in 1:64 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

I'm going to miss this little boat when she's done...

I neglected all of my chores and responsibilities (even a near-obligation) today and sat at my worktable without a care in the world. My morning started with the placement of boards at the bow (no, I didn't mess up - it's actually like this on the real boat):

IMG_9009.JPG

IMG_9012.JPG

Next, I added some guides for the oars in the caprail:

IMG_9013.JPG

And then did some detailing. Here you can see simulated nails on the interior:

IMG_9016.JPG

IMG_9021.JPG

And the exterior:

IMG_9018.JPG

The clinker planking was actually nailed (clinched?) along the entire lower edge of each board but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Or maybe I do. While the pinholes appear quite evident on this picture you can hardly see them in real life under normal lighting...

Finally, my first attempt at an oar. SO FRAGILE!

IMG_9029.JPG

I'm going to make more oars but not the full complement of 14-16.

I can't get past the feeling that I'm off on the scale of this boat. An esping is normally as long as the beam of the ship it supports, or 1/4 the length of the total ship. As reported in this build report, Dr. Hocker says the Vasa esping is precisely 1/4 the length of the ship and very close to the beam.

The museum reports the raised esping is 11.7 m. At scale (1:64) that means my boat should be around 183 mm and that's what she is.

But the detailing just seems too big compared to the detailing on the mother ship. Hmm...

IMG_9030.JPG

I neglected all of my chores and responsibilities (even a near-obligation) today and sat at my worktable without a care in the world. My morning started with the placement of boards at the bow (no, I didn't mess up - it's actually like this on the real boat):

View attachment 344916

View attachment 344917

View attachment 344918

View attachment 344919

View attachment 344921

And the exterior:

View attachment 344920

The clinker planking was actually nailed (clinched?) along the entire lower edge of each board but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Or maybe I do. While the pinholes appear quite evident on this picture you can hardly see them in real life under normal lighting...

View attachment 344922

I can't get past the feeling that I'm off on the scale of this boat. An esping is normally as long as the beam of the ship it supports, or 1/4 the length of the total ship. As reported in this build report, Dr. Hocker says the Vasa esping is precisely 1/4 the length of the ship and very close to the beam.

The museum reports the raised esping is 11.7 m. At scale (1:64) that means my boat should be around 183 mm and that's what she is.

But the detailing just seems too big compared to the detailing on the mother ship. Hmm...

View attachment 344925
You keep building things like this and they'll offer you a job at Vasamuseet, Paul.

She is a big girl isn't she?

微信图片_20221211112903.jpg
In comparison to the chaloup or sloop of the WB.

Be that as it may, Paul, I wish my chaloup could look like your Esping. What you have done here is just a superb rendition of a small boat. The details you are packing into her are astounding!

View attachment 344916

View attachment 344917

View attachment 344918

View attachment 344919

View attachment 344921

And the exterior:

View attachment 344920

View attachment 344922

View attachment 344925
Fantastic, all you need to do now is soak it in water and cake it in mud and it will link like the real thing.
Well done sir.

View attachment 344916

View attachment 344917

View attachment 344918

View attachment 344919

View attachment 344921

And the exterior:

View attachment 344920

View attachment 344922

View attachment 344925
She is a big girl isn't she?

View attachment 344938
In comparison to the chaloup or sloop of the WB.

Be that as it may, Paul, I wish my chaloup could look like your Esping. What you have done here is just a superb rendition of a small boat. The details you are packing into her are astounding!
yea...she is big, agreed.
View attachment 344940
Good Afternoon ….all relative here…who has large hands and who has small hands… maybe all these are the same size ROTF .

Seriously Paul, brilliant work. While you were posting this log I had no idea it was so small. Says loads about your abilities .

Cheers Grant

Thanks everyone. Keep in mind that this support boat was almost certainly pulled alongside/behind the ship. If my research is correct this boat would have rarely been brought on board (too large to do so conveniently) - and there would have been one or two more support boats as well that were smaller (thus easier to get onto/into the ship).

Stephan, I was actually comforted by your 14 cm reported size. I'm at 18 cm and building at 1:64 vs your 1:75. And maybe the Vasa esping was just a larger type of boat?

Jim, your post is just too disturbing to reflect on: THAT'S A TINY BOAT!

Question: do you guys think the oar guides are too tall?

1670765264469.png

View attachment 344916

View attachment 344917

View attachment 344918

View attachment 344919

View attachment 344921

And the exterior:

View attachment 344920

View attachment 344922

View attachment 344925
This picture really demonstrates the small size of the boat. Well done.

Thanks everyone. Keep in mind that this support boat was almost certainly pulled alongside/behind the ship. If my research is correct this boat would have rarely been brought on board (too large to do so conveniently) - and there would have been one or two more support boats as well that were smaller (thus easier to get onto/into the ship).

Stephan, I was actually comforted by your 14 cm reported size. I'm at 18 cm and building at 1:64 vs your 1:75. And maybe the Vasa esping was just a larger type of boat?

Jim, your post is just too disturbing to reflect on: THAT'S A TINY BOAT!

Question: do you guys think the oar guides are too tall?

View attachment 345012
Hi Paul,
As long as your oars fit in and the guides and the guides are just above the circumference of the oars it should be right.
I hope that makes sense
As My signature says 'If it looks right then it probably is'.

My thanks to @Jimsky and @Uwek for the confirmation on the size of the oar guides - I was fully prepared to make them smaller, but with your guidance I'll leave them as is. Much appreciated!

I have been adding some of the final components of the esping. Here is a photo essay showing some of the progress.

First, I fabricated and mounted the leeboards. On the port side (shown in its working position)...

IMG_9037.JPG

And now on the starboard (shown in a stowed position)...

IMG_9048.JPG

Here is the rigging on the inboard side:

IMG_9034.JPG

Next, an anchor:

IMG_9033.JPG

And a rudder with control arm:

IMG_9040.JPG

IMG_9043.JPG

IMG_9047.JPG

Finally, I have been making a stand for the boat that will double as a holder for an engraved nameplate (recall this little boat will be displayed in the case alongside the mother ship):

IMG_9050.JPG

IMG_9051.JPG

The height of the stand will put the boat at the waterline of the ship.

IMG_9052.JPG

I have a few more small details to add, and I also need to sand several more oars into shape... Getting close now.

Thanks for visiting!

Back