Fair American - Model Shipways (Readding my build)

The next steps were to install some planking inside of the hatch openings and paint them black. Then I worked on building the hatch coverings. The pieces provided to make these are of very poor quality. Many of them are thinner than the others and many had teeth broken off of them. I am wondering if I can get some good quality hatch coverings from another source.

Hatch coverings.jpg

After I get the hatch coverings installed, I am looking to install the capstan and Bitts at the bow. Looking at the metal pieces provided, I am once again disappointed in the quality. Do any of you know where I could get wood replacements for the capstan and Bitts?

I must be missing something, but I cannot find the size of the cannons that are onboard the Fair American. I was looking to get a couple samples of the cannon and carriages to test out replacing the ones that came with MS2015. But, I do not know what size they are supposed to be.
Any ideas?

I must be missing something, but I cannot find the size of the cannons that are onboard the Fair American. I was looking to get a couple samples of the cannon and carriages to test out replacing the ones that came with MS2015. But, I do not know what size they are supposed to be.
Any ideas?
At this time, these brigs, of which several had the name "Fair American", were armed with american 6-pounders

naval gun by Harold Hahn 1.jpg

I finished carving and painting the capstan. I like the way the carved capstan came out so I glued it to the deck. I compared the painted wood bitts I made with the metal bitts after painting them. I used 2 of the cast pieces and one of my wooded carvings and dry fit them to the deck.

Capstan and Bitts 001.jpg

Capstan and Bitts 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The practicum called to show the cabin through part of the quarterdeck. But, I am not sure how to build out the area directly in front of the transom windows.

Back