Fife-Scottish Fishing Vessel, Amati_Victory Models 1:32

The pink mats are the best I’ve ever used.
I would be very cautious in saying that pink mats are the best! ;) This can instantly open a can of worms from GMUS (Green Mat User Society). According to this group (don't kill the messenger), the Green mats are the best. :p

BTW, I am using transparent, and consider it a decent quality ROTFROTFROTF

I would be very cautious in saying that pink mats are the best! ;) can instantly open a can of worms from GMUS (Green Mat User Society). According to this group (don't kill the messenger), the Green mats are the best. :p

BTW, I am using transparent, and consider it a decent quality ROTFROTFROTF
Jim, wouldn't be the first can of worms I've opened in my 82 years. :rolleyes:

I agree with Paul, either samples show out-of-scale caulking, pretty thick. A black or gray construction paper should do the trick. I even go towards dark gray, because under the finish it should be darker and not so prominent.

Opinions please: The instructions call for a contrasting wood between the deck planks to simulate caulking. Alternate or kit?

View attachment 459759
I agree with the others that it is not entirely proportionate. In black the caulking quickly becomes too dominant. I'm also just experimenting with that and I'm lucky that I have a reference to the original in 1:1.
I'm curious about your 3rd variant.
Regards, Peter

I agree with the others that it is not entirely proportionate. In black the caulking quickly becomes too dominant. I'm also just experimenting with that and I'm lucky that I have a reference to the original in 1:1.
I'm curious about your 3rd variant.
Regards, Peter
Currently have material on order for third option.....so we'll see :(
Thanks for all the input/suggestions.

Plodding ahead with my second layer planking although I have changed my modus operandi. I've switched to using CA rather than PVA. (Sorry Heinrich wherever you are) ;)
Also, as much as I like my little Ultamation Sander I switched to my Byrnes variable speed sander for squaring the plank ends etc. I find that it creates very little dust on a lower RPM. I installed a foot switch on the sander which eliminates the need for turning it on/off via the switch. Also have a foot switch on my Byrnes table saw which I find is very handy. I do turn the saw's toggle switch off when not using the saw. Hate to have the cleaning lady step on the switch although I use my wall switch to turn on my dust vacuum and neglected to inform her of that one :eek:

Well this really sucks. 50 years of building RC aircraft with CA as my primary adhesive and never an issue with it. I'm three quarters of the way through my second layer of planking and developed an allergy to CA.
Two things come to mind: (1) using a different brand of CA than I normally use and (2) using a lot more of it planking.
No pun intended but I'll have to suck it up and finish. I am ordering the brand I normally use before I continue and will try a face mask.
Getting old really sucks. Pun intended ;)

Back