First kit on the way.

Many thanks for the replies, lot's of good points to consider.

It's the woodworking that caught my interest in this. I've done a lot of woodworking in the past, but I don't have a lot of space for a shop anymore and this looked like a way to get back into it with the limited space I have now.

Buying extra material and spending time practicing and experimenting may not be a typical way of getting started, but it's a part of woodworking that I've always enjoyed. I could easily end up having 3 practice hulls going before I even start the model. Use different materials, different finishes, stuff like that. Plus, having a few practice projects going gives me stuff to work on while waiting for other stuff to dry, bond, etc.

Thanks again.

If I understand you correct you want some blank wood for practice. Try Hobby Lobby in their wood stand, usually at the very rear of the store. They normally have both basswood and balsa wood blanks. I would hope you have Hobby Lobby in Hawaii; beautiful islands!!

toleoul
you sound like me i like the idea of approaching a project with different ideas and materials
you may like getting into scratch building

this is my build

Jgilchrist, nope no Hobby Lobby here. Woodcraft store has 1/8 in birch plywood, but that's pretty much it.

You're in Yukon, fellow Okie here, I got carded by Garth Brooks at a bar in Yukon back in the 80's.

Cool scratch build Dave.

I roughed out a basic center support and some bulkheads on graph paper. The material I ordered from Micro Mark will be here next week. Thought I would play around with that while I wait on the kit from Australia,

Many thanks for the replies, lot's of good points to consider.

It's the woodworking that caught my interest in this. I've done a lot of woodworking in the past, but I don't have a lot of space for a shop anymore and this looked like a way to get back into it with the limited space I have now.

Buying extra material and spending time practicing and experimenting may not be a typical way of getting started, but it's a part of woodworking that I've always enjoyed. I could easily end up having 3 practice hulls going before I even start the model. Use different materials, different finishes, stuff like that. Plus, having a few practice projects going gives me stuff to work on while waiting for other stuff to dry, bond, etc.

Thanks again.
Having extras of everything for me is essential as I more often than I like flip small items out of my tweezers or pliers to go flying to who knows where. I wish that I had a nickel for every time that I am on my hands and knees with a flashlight looking for something, even on my work area under everything that I have there . . . wasted but real time lost in building. Buy blocks in multiple bags of the same size and type, belaying pins in the same way, lumber of all sizes, brass rods, brass tubes, etc. . . anything that you can think of that may require replacement is in order. Just a suggestion. Rich (PT-2)

Buying extra material and spending time practicing and experimenting may not be a typical way of getting started, but it's a part of woodworking that I've always enjoyed. I could easily end up having 3 practice hulls going before I even start the model. Use different materials, different finishes, stuff like that.
I just want to affirm your interest in spending time experimenting! For you this is a productive and valuable process In the hobby. Several replies including mine suggested jumping into the model directly rather than spending time creating practice builds. My apologies, but for you this is really a different, important, and satisfying approach to the hobby. I just wanted to affirm your direction and support your approach. Besides, this opens the door to some exciting scratch build models! As you create your “practice” builds throw up a few photos to share with us your techniques. Thanks for sharing in more detail your passion for the wood working. Awesome! :)

Jgilchrist, nope no Hobby Lobby here. Woodcraft store has 1/8 in birch plywood, but that's pretty much it.

You're in Yukon, fellow Okie here, I got carded by Garth Brooks at a bar in Yukon back in the 80's.
How did a good Okie get to Hawaii?

I am another Okie in this group.

Artists' supply stores sometimes carry high grade plywood in appropriate thicknesses for ship building. For the scratch build I just started I bought a 2' x 4' sheet of 1/4 " birch ply at Lowe's and cut the bulkheads and keel from it. I have enough left for at least 4 or 5 more models.

I just want to affirm your interest in spending time experimenting! For you this is a productive and valuable process In the hobby.
It dawned on me after digging into all this a bit that I could set up a small woodworking shop in the limited space I have available. Nothing pro level or commercial grade, but good enough to get me back into butchering up some wood and see what I can come up with.

How did a good Okie get to Hawaii?

I am another Okie in this group.
I married a Yankee and we moved here 20 years ago because her son was living here. She got island fever after a couple of years so we divorced and she moved back to the mainland but I stayed here.

Back