"Flying Cloud " by Mamoli - kit bash

Thanks Bill and Chuck.
As I just informed Chuck in a PM. I have come to the realization that after thousands of hours; I realize That I am putting lipstick on a pig.
My choices were: Start over with an old BlueJacket pre-carved hull. Or strip off all the stuff in the way of sanding, filling and more sanding, then painting (Oh! The irony!) the ebony planked hull which frankly looks like crap and I can't live with it. So now it's a restoration project. Looks like I'm never going to get free of restoration projects. I've used ebony twice before successfully. This time: BAD IDEA! So, I'm done posting until I get back up to speed. OR I throw it in the bin. :eek:
I'd rather be honest than go blithely slathering the lipstick on.Cautious
Thus, endeth today's lesson in hubris and humility.:rolleyes:

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks Bill and Chuck.
As I just informed Chuck in a PM. I have come to the realization that after thousands of hours; I realize That I am putting lipstick on a pig.
My choices were: Start over with an old BlueJacket pre-carved hull. Or strip off all the stuff in the way of sanding, filling and more sanding, then painting (Oh! The irony!) the ebony planked hull which frankly looks like crap and I can't live with it. So now it's a restoration project. Looks like I'm never going to get free of restoration projects. I've used ebony twice before successfully. This time: BAD IDEA! So, I'm done posting until I get back up to speed. OR I throw it in the bin. :eek:

Pete
Good morning Peter. That is a pity. I have learned much from your log. The love - hate relationship we have with our models…..My measure is always - am I enjoying this. If not break time. What ever you decide I will look forward to your contribution to my modelling experience again. Cheers Grant

Thanks Bill and Chuck.

Pete
Dear Pete,

I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I was focused on a wiring problem and thinking about how to run new Romex without tearing out the whole ceiling. I'm sorry, my friend. I hope you just take a pause from your Flying Cloud. I agree with Grant, sometimes a tactical retreat is a relief. I left my Lovely Renee nee Fair American on the stocks for almost a year out of frustration. On the other hand, I have finished canvases that I really invested in only to finish, become disgusted and erase my effort with several coats of gesso. So, my friend, a long winded way of saying I get it.

Blessings. Peace. Gratitude.
Chuck

Dear Pete,

I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I was focused on a wiring problem and thinking about how to run new Romex without tearing out the whole ceiling. I'm sorry, my friend. I hope you just take a pause from your Flying Cloud. I agree with Grant, sometimes a tactical retreat is a relief. I left my Lovely Renee nee Fair American on the stocks for almost a year out of frustration. On the other hand, I have finished canvases that I really invested in only to finish, become disgusted and erase my effort with several coats of gesso. So, my friend, a long winded way of saying I get it.

Blessings. Peace. Gratitude.
Chuck
Devine dissatisfaction can be a gift. On the other hand, a perfectionist is never satisfied and never finishes anything. I'm not in that category. Like Eisenhower, I Know when to declare victory and move on.
I appreciate your concern and feel that I'm worth expending the wind on.:)

Thanks Bill and Chuck.

Pete
The old solid-hull Bluejacket kit of the Flying Cloud is excellent. I just wish that they would bring it back. But then, they made many excellent kits that they have discontinued. For example, they used to produce kits of the Half Moon and Cabot, that were outstanding. Oh well. Their replacement for the Flying Cloud is another excellent kit . . . the Red Jacket. Also, if you are interested in Clippers, Model Shipways makes an outstanding kit of the Flying Fish. Both kits are in the same scale.

Bill

The old solid-hull Bluejacket kit of the Flying Cloud is excellent. I just wish that they would bring it back. But then, they made many excellent kits that they have discontinued. For example, they used to produce kits of the Half Moon and Cabot, that were outstanding. Oh well. Their replacement for the Flying Cloud is another excellent kit . . . the Red Jacket. Also, if you are interested in Clippers, Model Shipways makes an outstanding kit of the Flying Fish. Both kits are in the same scale.

Bill
I agree about the old BlueJacket Flying Coud. I just wish I had started with that (I just have the rough hull and plans). The RedJacket And Flying Fish are excellent. However, I've long had a desire to build the "Flying Cloud", the only kit on the market being Mamoli. Having built a couple of their kits over the years, I know they are problematical. I'm using BlueJacket and A.J. Fischer plans and the Flying Fish instruction booklet which are better and more historically correct from the point of view of contemporary sources. There are slim to none about Flying Cloud in particular except for some descriptions from the time. I thought I could kit bash what I got from Mamoli into something satisfactory, given my other resources, into the model I want. It's proving more difficult than I anticipated. But aren't they always? But I'm not averse to changing course, doing what is necessary in order to correct or improve my project. It's frustrating but I won't allow that to cause me to throw out the good with the bad. So, if I saw the need to improve my unsatisfactory work on the hull (or anything else, for that matter) what the heck. bad news (or work) does not improve with age. If I can significantly improve upon what I've accomplished so far, I'll do and document that. The exercise in humility I hope will prove as a useful an example as just part of the process and that you can usually do something in lieu of giving up and wasting all the good work you have accomplished as well as the many hours invested. I'm 78 I can no longer afford to write them off. ;)
I deeply appreciate your interest, observations, remarks and suggestions.Thumbsup

Many thanks! Pete

Last edited:
I agree about the old BlueJacket Flying Coud. I just wish I had started with that (I just have the rough hull and plans). The RedJacket And Flying Fish are excellent. However, I've long had a desire to build the "Flying Cloud", the only kit on the market being Mamoli. Having built a couple of their kits over the years, I know they are problematical. I'm using BlueJacket and A.J. Fischer plans and the Flying Fish instruction booklet which are better and more historically correct from the point of view of contemporary sources. There are slim to none about Flying Cloud in particular except for some descriptions from the time. I thought I could kit bash what I got from Mamoli into something satisfactory, given my other resources, into the model I want. It's proving more difficult than I anticipated. But aren't they always? But I'm not averse to changing course, doing what is necessary in order to correct or improve my project. It's frustrating but I won't allow that to cause me to throw out the good with the bad. So, if I saw the need to improve my unsatisfactory work on the hull (or anything else, for that matter) what the heck. bad news (or work) does not improve with age. If I can significantly improve upon what I've accomplished so far, I'll do and document that. The exercise in humility I hope will prove as useful an example as just part of the process and that you can usually do something in lieu of giving up and wasting all the good work you have accomplished as well as the many hours invested. I'm 78 I can no longer afford to write them off. ;)
I deeply appreciate your interest, observations, remarks and suggestions.Thumbsup

Many thanks! Pete
Pete,

I just turned 70 in February, and I am starting to feel the time-crunch. However, I can't take them with me when I go, but I will try to complete my stash.

Bill

I share the concept. My stash pales by comparison with some of my colleagues. None the less I cannot resist the occasional impulse to add to add to it, however unrealistic my rational that I will eventually get to them all. :rolleyes:

Pete

I was a late bloomer on this. I keep stockpiling and stockpiling. I thought about maybe, down the road, trying to work on two simultaneously; you know what one dries, I could work on the other one. Monet worked on works at the same time and look at his success...ROTFROTFROTFROTFROTF... Not at his success, but laughing at me thinking about doing thinking about doing.

I had to do that all the time with restoring furniture. I've got two models waiting to be finished. The Flying Cloud and a miniature Flying Cloud all going at once. But then,...I tend to be delusional. :rolleyes:
:p

I guess we multitask all the time. I just never thought about doing this but then maybe I’m going to try it.

Thanks Bill and Chuck.

Pete
Rather than simply "putting lipstick on a pig", there is so much more in a woman's makeup kit. Try everything! Adding different types of makeup may give you something beautiful!

Bill

Not knowing what the color "pearl' looked like in 1851, I opted for a "porcelain" white which I will use for the deck houses and hatches as well
This is a reply to a much earlier comment, but it might be useful to somebody, Pearl for earlier generations in northern climes who mostly saw only fresh-water pearls - generally meant 'pearl grey' - a pale silvery grey with a hint of blue.

This is a reply to a much earlier comment, but it might be useful to somebody, Pearl for earlier generations in northern climes who mostly saw only fresh-water pearls - generally meant 'pearl grey' - a pale silvery grey with a hint of blue.
I settled on a mix of "porcelain white" with Martha Stewart "Lake Fog"(a pale gray). Not a whole lot of contrast at scale, but it'll have to do. Thanks for the Suggestion, I don't think we're very far apart in our thinking.

Back