Flying P-Liner Peking

This is how the Peking looked in 2016, when she was still a museum ship in New York.

P7290710.JPG

P7300713.JPG

P7300716.JPG

P7300718.JPG

After her restauration, she now floats in Hamburg's Hansa-Harbour.

P4190616.JPG

P4190619.JPG

P4190618.JPG

P4190613.JPG

P4190623.JPG

P4190624.JPG

P4190625.JPG

P4190633.JPG

P4190634.JPG
Scupper.

P4190638.JPG

P4190639.JPG
Sail winches.

P4190640.JPG
View towards the bow with the heavy weather gangways.

P4190627.JPG
The upper cargo hold. On the right is a cargo door between the wooden spacers to the steel hull. The hold is so large that the "Gorch Fock" would fit inside.

P4190628.JPG

P4190630.JPG
The cargo hold above the keel and ballast.

Great to see, that they made a very good job with the restauration - many thanks for sharing with us

everybody interested in the restauration take a look here with some videos

and maybe also

Hi Dan!

Unfortunately, so far only the original card house on the bridge deck is equipped with furniture and card table again.

P4190636.JPG
On the port side, the captain's saloon, galley and crew quarters will be completed later. The photo shows parts of the original interior, which is still being refurbished.
During the construction site tour, not everything was ready yet. The ship is still missing the lifeboats, the starboard anchor and the loading winch, which is currently in the harbor museum.

Best regards
Thomas

In my building models I have lost the realization of just how large the actual ships are. The real life images sure indications how massive these are. Thanks for the images!

Hi Dan!

Unfortunately, so far only the original card house on the bridge deck is equipped with furniture and card table again.

View attachment 371613
On the port side, the captain's saloon, galley and crew quarters will be completed later. The photo shows parts of the original interior, which is still being refurbished.
During the construction site tour, not everything was ready yet. The ship is still missing the lifeboats, the starboard anchor and the loading winch, which is currently in the harbor museum.

Best regards
Thomas
I'm so very glad to see the money and effort being put into restoring this wonderful ship. I look forward to seeing the finished interiors. Thank you for sharing these images.

I really appreciate the postings of pictures of real ships. These photos illustrate the details that we translate into our models. The biggest issue for me is reminding me of the scales of ship’s parts. For example, we tend to make deck rings on our models too big in scale when we see the actual size of these rings on a real ship. And the anchor chain…on this ship the anchor chain is massive…we would probably model this chain way too small in scale! Great photos…thanks!

Thomas, Great photos! I was not aware of this beautiful barque but I will do some research to learn more of her history. What a grand vessel! Magic Mike

Back