Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Today saw the delivery of the last items, necessary to complete this model; the wheels. They’re supposedly Fokker Eindecker wheels, at scale 1:48.
I found the wheels at Unique Master Models. They were not cheap, but definitely worth it; I gave making them myself a try or three before I gave up, due to lack of tools and consequently lack of satisfactory results.

I consider this build now completed. The model is joined by two Spin memorabilia and will find residence in an acrylic cover.

A big thank you for all of those who took the time to visit my blog, enduring my ramblings on this little build and also a big thank you for those whose comments led to a better model than I foresaw.

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_2123.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

Today saw the delivery of the last items, necessary to complete this model; the wheels. They’re supposedly Fokker Eindecker wheels, at scale 1:48.
I found the wheels at Unique Master Models. They were not cheap, but definitely worth it; I gave making them myself a try or three before I gave up, due to lack of tools and consequently lack of satisfactory results.

I consider this build now completed. The model is joined by two Spin memorabilia and will find residence in an acrylic cover.

A big thank you for all of those who took the time to visit my blog, enduring my ramblings on this little build and also a big thank you for those whose comments led to a better model than I foresaw.

View attachment 458796

View attachment 458795

View attachment 458794

View attachment 458793

View attachment 458792
Those spoked wheels are very nice, Johan. You made a very special and unique model to be proud off. And that last picture you made: GREAT! With the shifting light of the wings, it gives me shivers.:)
Regards, Peter

Congratulations Johan! A magnificent outcome and well fought battle! Display her with pride!

Those wheels are the perfect end to a superb and extraordinary model build log! Your search for near perfection at every small detail inspires us all!

Display her proudly in the awesome case!

Those spoked wheels are very nice, Johan. You made a very special and unique model to be proud off. And that last picture you made: GREAT! With the shifting light of the wings, it gives me shivers.:)
Regards, Peter

Great build to follow and see. Tasting to more...
Thanks y'all for your compliments. Your support in terms of comments and challenges really raised the bars on this little one.
One of the most alluring reasons to build this model, after being "convinced" by my PIC, was the fact that the Fokker Spin is one of the pioneering aircraft and very significant for the Netherlands. Additionally, the actual build presented me with quite some challenges, which all but one have been overcome.
I also considered building a second Spin, implementing the lessons learned, but that will definitely not be the next build.

In English: Spider, Hummingbird, Herring Gull...... no problem for me.:)
Your reply made me thinking, yeah I know, it's not something I should do on a regular basis, but nevertheless...
Why do we translate into English given names like "Spin", "Kolibri" or "Zilvermeeuw", while we seldom bother to do so the other way around; "Mosquito" will not become "Mug", or "Flying Cloud" will not be translated into "Vliegende Wolk"? ("Bluenose" into "Blauwe Neus"...) I did find exceptions though; de "Zeven Provincieen" is rarely translated, while your "Balder", named after a German/Scandinavian mythology god, doesn't need translating either; it's kind of universal.

View attachment 458796

View attachment 458795

View attachment 458794

View attachment 458793

View attachment 458792
Good morning Johan. Congratulations on this very special build. You certainly pulled off all those tiny details fantastically. I agree with the Doc, you can display this with pride. Cheers Grant

A very beautiful model Johan.
Congratulations on completion
Congratulations Johan. Your Spin is beautiful. I will be looking forward to your next adventure.

Bill
Good morning Johan. Congratulations on this very special build. You certainly pulled off all those tiny details fantastically. I agree with the Doc, you can display this with pride. Cheers Grant
Thanks for your congratulations!
It’s not only that I’m really satisfied with the final results, what’s more, my PIC approves and decided that this little Spin deserves a place of honor.

Back