Friedrich Wilhelm Zu Pferde 1/48 scale by Euro Model

I was chatting with Brian and he mentioned he had built one of these kits, so I thought I would post my build log of it that was deleted on another forum,

I have put it in the kit section although it is mostly scratch using the kits castings.

This is a Euromodel kit of The Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde, I believe it translates as Fredrick William on Horse back, I started this kit quite a few years ago, and due to many things I am only just getting round to finishing it.
When I received the kit and checked it over, there were a few things that did not seem right, the four middle bulkheads were approx 4inches apart, which seemed to much, also when I dry fitted the bulkheads to the keel and ran a strip of wood along to check the alignment there was an obvious bulge where bulkhead four was, when I checked the plans and line drawings I found that they had drawn and cut bulkhead five twice, so after re cutting one of them to the size of bulkhead four, the strip of wood then ran fair, but I still did not like the spacing of the center bulkheads, so I decided to scratch build the hull with full frames, this was my first attempt at lofting and cutting frames so you will probably pick out a few mistakes, these early pics were pre digital camera so I only took a few because of the cost, see following pics,

View attachment 24776
View of the hull in frame. Luckily they gave a good set of drawings including the body plan and water lines, so I tried to place the frames between the ports to make things a bit easier, I decided on my frame thickness and drew the lines between the ports taking the lines down over the water line plans and with the help of the body plan I redrew the frames.

View attachment 24777
another view

View attachment 24778
Bow shot

View attachment 24779
Looking down on the orlop deck, I must emphasize this is scratch built, not boasting or anything, just want to make sure so you do'nt buy a kit thinking this is what you get.

View attachment 24780
Full length overhead

View attachment 24781
Transom, in hind sight the timbers are too large, wide.

View attachment 24782
view through the transom.

View attachment 24783
This was my objective to build a fully framed hull with cut aways so that you could see inside of the ship

View attachment 24784
The lower gun deck being planked.

View attachment 24785
In the top left corner, these parts make one double frame, and below these will make four frames.

View attachment 24786
Close up of the orlop deck

Hi John,

Sounds like a Claytons kit, the kit you get when you don't get a kit!!!

Nice cut away.

Cheers,
Stephen.

View attachment 24826
First job after the cleaning was to locate the positions of what was left of the cast decorations,
so I took photo copies of the areas that had to have decorations attached, I'm only showing
one but I did do several, this is one of the bulkheads.

View attachment 24827
The painted decorations in place over the drawing

View attachment 24828
Now this is what I mean about showing one thing on the plan and giving you another, big difference in size
and also with the capstan

View attachment 24829
same with the capstan

View attachment 24830
Now for the up side of things, these are the cast decorations for the lower beakhead, I think the top casting is from the other side, as it looks kinda flat to the lower casting, if you see what I mean, my mistake.

View attachment 24831
and sitting over the plan

View attachment 24832
Some of the castings for around the quarter galleries were not too good, so I made a casting plaster mould of a good one and cast some more in white metal, which the original ones are made of
What a contrast from your ZHL RC build, wow your model looks great John.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Salut John,

Sonne comme un kit Claytons, le kit que vous obtenez lorsque vous ne recevez pas de kit !!!

Belle coupe.

À votre santé,
Stephen.
Bonjour, je suis nouveau sur votre site. Je suis arrivé par hasard car je recherche le Manuel du kit Friedrich Wilhelm 1/48. Un voisin m’a fait un beau cadeau empoisonné en m’offrant cette boîte. Est ce que quelqu'un pourrait m'aider à le trouver?
Un grand merci

Bonjour, je suis nouveau sur votre site. Je suis arrivé par hasard car je recherche le Manuel du kit Friedrich Wilhelm 1/48. Un voisin m’a fait un beau cadeau empoisonné en m’offrant cette boîte. Est ce que quelqu'un pourrait m'aider à le trouver?
Un grand merci
This has been my first scroll through of your build log and work. Truly amazing in detail and quality. I really enjoyed your early revisit of the orlop and stowage along with the guardian crew members. An excellent show piece for your many hours well spent. Rich (PT-2)

Un grand merci

Translated from the above,

Hello, I am new to your site. I arrived by chance because I am looking for the Friedrich Wilhelm 1/48 Kit Manual. A neighbor gave me a nice poisoned gift by giving me this box. Can someone help me find it?
A big thank-you,

Capitaine Haddock, il n'y avait qu'une seule page d'instructions pour le kit, ce qui ne valait pas la peine d'être lu, j'ai fini par gratter toutes les pièces en bois du navire en utilisant les plans comme guide et n'utilisant que les pièces moulées dans le kit et le canon, Je suis désolé mais je ne peux pas vous aider, peut-être que quelqu'un d'autre connaîtra d'autres instructions,
Meilleures salutations John.

Translation of the above,

Captain Haddock,there was only one page of instruction for the kit, which was not worth reading, I ended up scratch building all the wooden parts for the ship using the plans as a guide and only used the castings in the kit and the cannon, I am sorry but I cannot help you maybe someone else might know of some other instructions,
Best regards John.

Un grand merci
Only a fast off-topic here. Sorry John Exclamation-Mark
Hallo @Cap. Hadock
a warm welcome here on board of our forum

This has been my first scroll through of your build log and work. Truly amazing in detail and quality. I really enjoyed your early revisit of the orlop and stowage along with the guardian crew members. An excellent show piece for your many hours well spent. Rich (PT-2)
Thank you for the nice comments,

Best regards John

Back