Gilles' 19-inch Canoe - cherry - Canoe # 1 [COMPLETED BUILD]

No special loom for the seats. I just cut the seat frame and work directly from it.
I have to eventually make more seats later for other canoes, so I will be posting some instructions or photos of the process.
But here is a sample image to give you an idea:

View attachment 169825

G
In weaving your seat from the possibly underside view, it appears that you are only weaving the over and under sequence with the top crossing lines, not gathering both into the over and under as I did which created problems. Please clarify this for me. PT-2

In weaving your seat from the possibly underside view, it appears that you are only weaving the over and under sequence with the top crossing lines, not gathering both into the over and under as I did which created problems. Please clarify this for me. PT-2

My weaving the seat is simple. I have to make seats for 2 canoes at this point so I will document the process in detail in the next day or so.
Yes weaving only on the top crossing. It is possible to on the other side as well by it is a matter of tension. eventually there is too much of it and the frame succumbs to it: have had that experience before. No holes either, for the same reason.
Anyways and again, I will document the way I do it but of course and as usual, it will only be my way: surely not the only way, nor the best way.
G

My weaving the seat is simple. I have to make seats for 2 canoes at this point so I will document the process in detail in the next day or so.
Yes weaving only on the top crossing. It is possible to on the other side as well by it is a matter of tension. eventually there is too much of it and the frame succumbs to it: have had that experience before. No holes either, for the same reason.
Anyways and again, I will document the way I do it but of course and as usual, it will only be my way: surely not the only way, nor the best way.
G
Top only simplifies things greatly!! I did create the problem for myself weaving both layers together. PT-2

Back