Gold Version of the Black Pearl - My First Build

You can seize the cannon rope be wrapping thread around it, the correct way is a hook on the rope and an eyebolt in the bulwark I just used a eyebolt on the end of the rope.
It's very hard to tell from the photos but you may need to fair the frames some more. Fairing the frames is one of the most important parts of planking. Check to see if the plank is sitting on the corner of a frame. Take care around the bow there is a big change in profile in the first four frames lots of tapering and working out the best run for the planks.
Take your time the first planking is as important as the second. Before gluing a plank mark the frames where the plank goes then place the next plank on the marks to see how flat it sits on the frames. If it doesn't sit flat on all frames adjust as required. Only taper one side of the plank so it fits up against a straight edge on the other plank.
Good luck.

Okay, I know this is out of order but the Lanterns were calling my name. I don’t like the fiddly collars the kit provides so I decided to fab some wood ones on my lathe. They will require some tweaking when it come times to mount them but I think they will work fine. Process is listed below

Started with a piece of Cocobolo.
View attachment 227755

Drilled through and then turned to size

View attachment 227756

View attachment 227757

Countoured size to lamp base View attachment 227758

Finished product
View attachment 227759
I will be able to sand and angle the bottom to fit the ship.
View attachment 227762

Did I mention I do a bit of woodworking.
View attachment 227761
If I had this workshop, it’s likely I’d never see the outside World! LOL, Beautiful workplace and nice start to the Pearl!

Thanks, I decided about four years ago to build a shop for myself. It’s a simple 12x20 extension to my garage. I bought a few tools and then built all the cabinetry as my first big project. It was a fun experience.

Well, I finished the first planking on one side. It wasn’t easy and I’m pretty sure it definitely looks like a beginner job but it’s done. I learned a lot and am cut reading a guide on planking so I hope side two is much better. Also did some work on the Captain’s quarters. All in all I think it’s going well.

Build Time = 15 hrs. 5 min.

3DD9CD8B-BEC5-4D1B-8C40-9D5219DE6074.jpeg48D72D30-C0BA-4979-B156-89011A75D55A.jpeg6705F3F3-5528-459B-A37D-8163D99A9CAB.jpeg0927037E-86D3-46F8-844D-DF854FB25D41.jpeg

Wow! You work fast and accomplished this much in just 15 hours...I have 80 hours in and haven’t even started planking! Just call me SLO-POKE Magee!

Wow! You work fast and accomplished this much in just 15 hours...I have 80 hours in and haven’t even started planking! Just call me SLO-POKE Magee!
My timing is loose. I forget to hit the timer button sometimes but try to guess. Probably add a few more hours on. I am starting to do the walnut planking on the decks and then I have to build all the cannons so that should add considerable time to the build. I won’t plank the second side until I finish some reading research.

Larry

Your BP is coming on nicely, sometimes it's better to plank both sides at the same time. One plank on the port side followed by one on the starboard side this keeps the planking even and less chance of the hull warping. Have you noticed the different shape bow on the all-scenario version?

Your BP is coming on nicely, sometimes it's better to plank both sides at the same time. One plank on the port side followed by one on the starboard side this keeps the planking even and less chance of the hull warping. Have you noticed the different shape bow on the all-scenario version?
Didn’t think of that. Maybe I will start planking the other side this week. At least get started to stabilize the hull. I didn’t notice the difference but haven’t paid much attention to the other version.

Working on planking the Port side of the ship now. After reading numerous tutorials and watching a few videos, I feel I have a better grasp of the process. Divided the side into four quadrants and allowed the planks to sit naturally and then progressing from there. Already seem to have better results. What a fun hobby, should have started 40 years ago.

build time = 18 hours

Attachments

• D24398F0-A605-4F23-A593-9106D0FE9305.jpeg
    D24398F0-A605-4F23-A593-9106D0FE9305.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 13
Working on planking the Port side of the ship now. After reading numerous tutorials and watching a few videos, I feel I have a better grasp of the process. Divided the side into four quadrants and allowed the planks to sit naturally and then progressing from there. Already seem to have better results. What a fun hobby, should have started 40 years ago.

build time = 18 hours
Appreciate your input Larry. I will be planking next week and you are providing me with a lot of info on how to get through it. Thanks.

Looking very nice. You really work fast. I have finished the second planking on the same BP version.

Build time = 26.5 hours

Alright, been doing the dirty work on the pearl. Finished planking the second side. Was a bit easier this time but still had problems with the bow area. Did the initial filler work and all appears pretty smooth. Do you guys coat the wood putty with anything or just glue the second planking right

64D70FFA-0AF6-4D6F-9E23-CB9BED3E545A.jpeg
Also worked on the cap stand. Took a hint from Jeff T and glued the first pieces before I removed them.
3598E087-29B8-406B-84D1-220E2C30B728.jpegB400DE34-A579-45EF-B4CB-533892424FAE.jpeg

Also glued the decorative edge on the captains quarters. Broke this bad boy twice trying to remove it from the panel.

45A4E2A4-FFE2-4292-BDFF-793348FD9A2C.jpeg

Your progress is quite impressive moving along quickly. Are you going to mount the captain's quarters before or after the second planking?
I’m thinking before. I painted the ship black in that spot and the led lighting would make it a bit difficult to plank around. Congrats on your Son, without people like him, our country would not be what it is.

Back