Gold Version of the Black Pearl - My First Build

Your Pearl is looking great! Nice job on the planking. We are at fairly similar points in our builds even though your started yours about 3 months after I started my build.

Your planking looks so good and the natural color of the wood is so beautiful ... must you stain it black? How about a Brown Pearl?
I’m only staining the railing. The ship is staying the natural walnut color. It would be sacrilege to paint that wood, especially for a woodworker like myself.

I choose to stain my Black Pearl with an Antique Walnut/Black mixture at about 9 parts Walnut to 1 part Black. Just enough to darken the wood without losing the feel of the actual wood. I followed that with a coat of clear matte acrylic.

Good to see the progress on the other BP's both coming along nicely. I'm wondering who is going to catch up with me first as the rigging is proving to be as difficult as I thought it might be.

I doubt I will but even if I do it won’t last. I can barely tie my shoe, so rigging is going to be a tall order for me.

Not much progress this week due to family priorities. Did manage to finish the railing. Might do a little putty work to smooth out some areas around the spirals. The railing was quite challenging but patients pays off in the end.
View attachment 240236View attachment 240237
Yeah, I had to break out the putty for the curlicues too on my all-scenario version. It’s looking good, though. Keep up the good work!

I agree with you the rails are difficult to do but it's worth the effort. Whenever I see your photos I say to myself it's time for me to have a tidy up, your work area is always so neat and tidy. Keep up the good work.

I agree with you the rails are difficult to do but it's worth the effort. Whenever I see your photos I say to myself it's time for me to have a tidy up, your work area is always so neat and tidy. Keep up the good work.
Thank you, sometimes OCD is good, other times it irritates people, mainly my wife. Lol!

Had some time to work on the ship this week. Started planking the keel and the stern of the boat.

Don’t mind the tissue, it is to keep the clamps from marking the walnut. The edges where the corners come together requires patience, sandpaper and sharp blades for your knives.

FF41D458-CC62-414C-A342-4D0CFE34B878.jpeg813F556F-F3C9-4380-A093-2BE2364833C5.jpeg
I decided to do something different and plank diagonally on the Stern of the boat. I think it will look cool when completed and break up all the straight planking.

4630B4B0-A85C-472A-ADC5-20D219867432.jpeg

The diagonal planking seemed to be a favourite of 17th Century Dutch shipbuilders. Agreed about the looks - it adds to the visual effect of the stern tapering downwards towards the keel.

A momentous occasion!! Starboard side and Stern of ship is pretty much done. I still have to fill a few seems and trim one tiny piece on the Stern( glue is drying). Now I will focus on the port side and the port Keel. I also decided to plank the keel in a different pattern than straight across. I tried to think of the actual keel beams and kind of match them. Not sure if I was completely successful but it’s done and I’m satisfied.

build time 71 hours.

B8C64640-DDE3-4C0E-9238-D12A1B328A49.jpeg
E7984979-AB75-448C-AA50-522D3B9D576D.jpeg6CC90C30-C174-4CB9-891A-2BE62280ACED.jpeg

That is a nice, clean hull with sharply defined lines at the stern. You can certainly be satisfied.

A momentous occasion!! Starboard side and Stern of ship is pretty much done. I still have to fill a few seems and trim one tiny piece on the Stern( glue is drying). Now I will focus on the port side and the port Keel. I also decided to plank the keel in a different pattern than straight across. I tried to think of the actual keel beams and kind of match them. Not sure if I was completely successful but it’s done and I’m satisfied.

build time 71 hours.

View attachment 241273
View attachment 241274View attachment 241275
Wow. It certainly looks different on the bottom. I assume you’ll make it symmetrical on both sides?

Back