Gold Version of the Black Pearl - My First Build

Well, just opened the box tonight and inventoried everything, all seems to be in order. Removed the keel pieces and filed the edge profile on the first piece. I will try to keep track of build time in the log. I expect to be rather slow and cautious as this is my first ship build ever. I will also have tons of questions as the directions are not so great.

Build Time So Far = 30 Minutes

Larry

0-1.jpg0.jpg

I wish I could keep my work space as neat and tidy as yours good to see you start. Best thing (and the hardest) to do at the beginning is slow down, and check how the pieces fit together. Now is a good time to work out how to wire the LEDs. Good luck with your build any questions please ask.

Thanks, I suffer from a bit of OCD. Sometimes it’s a good thing, other times not so much.

The Black Pearl is a fun build and I know that you will enjoy it.

I removed the frame pieces, smoothed the sprue tabs and contoured the edges. Now I am watching some videos and trying to figure out how and where to place the LED lights. It's all just dry fitted right now so I can remove the frame parts and drill the appropriate holes.

Build time thus far - 1 Hour 40 Minutesunnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

You would think there would be one proper english speaking person making millions translating terrible Chinese instructions, just saying!!

You would think there would be one proper english speaking person making millions translating terrible Chinese instructions, just saying!!
Good luck and have fun with your build. Its great to see another Black Pearl in progress. Will follow with great interest.

Good day today. Spent time working on the ship as well as getting my first Turkey of the year. Glued in all the frames and must have did something right because the deck went in without too much drama.

Total build time to date - 2 hours 34 minutes

Both decks went on without too much drama. Also drilled holes in all of the frames to run lighting. That is giving me some anxiety, have no idea what I want to light up and where to run it. Research continues.
IMG_2991.jpg

made these small wood squares to try to keep everything lined up
IMG_2987.jpg
Nice bird, got him at 23 yards and moving.

IMG_2985.jpg

Ok, so you guys might think this was a silly idea but what the heck. I was thinking about led lighting for my ship. I like the idea of Evan Designs flicker lighting but wasn't keen on spending 75-100 dollars getting it set up. I started thinking about the led lights that I use for Christmas Decorations and decided to give them a shot. I think it's going to work out just fine plus they have a built in timer which I love. What do you think

Here is the three for the lanterns plus three on each side for the Captain's cabin.
IMG_3012.jpg

I ran two inside of the entry to the cabin.
IMG_3011.jpg

There are several below this deck but I think I will have to notch the frame so it can shine to both sides.
IMG_3010.jpg

I also built a cannon as a test run. I know most of them are black but I like the idea of a bronze cannon which I distressed with a thinned out ochre paint. I ordered some rope which I hope will be the right size to put the rope on that hooks to the ship. Sorry I don't know any ship terminology but I bought a book and am trying to learn.

Total Build Time = 6 Hours 8 Minutes

IMG_3007.jpg

Okay, I know this is out of order but the Lanterns were calling my name. I don’t like the fiddly collars the kit provides so I decided to fab some wood ones on my lathe. They will require some tweaking when it come times to mount them but I think they will work fine. Process is listed below

Started with a piece of Cocobolo.
FBBBF943-E365-47D1-B087-79931821A8CC.jpeg

Drilled through and then turned to size

FFFA98D4-2FA6-40C0-97B1-2B29FFBB8F83.jpeg

69A62AAD-2539-479D-842F-D249020E072E.jpeg

Countoured size to lamp base 9A06E1FB-43AB-4D48-A2A3-5DEA23F05200.jpeg

Finished product
CB7ED58E-C311-4F36-BFCC-46CD7D546D1E.jpeg
I will be able to sand and angle the bottom to fit the ship.
C91B78AF-4E72-474D-B04E-763DA2432FE5.jpeg

Did I mention I do a bit of woodworking.
35091236-A02C-4D71-9AB4-586A867DCC17.jpeg

Attachments

• CEBEFC00-39E6-417C-9AC7-BEE4F6C7EE3E.jpeg
    CEBEFC00-39E6-417C-9AC7-BEE4F6C7EE3E.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
Okay, I know this is out of order but the Lanterns were calling my name. I don’t like the fiddly collars the kit provides so I decided to fab some wood ones on my lathe. They will require some tweaking when it come times to mount them but I think they will work fine. Process is listed below

Started with a piece of Cocobolo.
View attachment 227755

Drilled through and then turned to size

View attachment 227756

View attachment 227757

Countoured size to lamp base View attachment 227758

Finished product
View attachment 227759
I will be able to sand and angle the bottom to fit the ship.
View attachment 227762

Did I mention I do a bit of woodworking.
View attachment 227761

Much better looking than the standard parts, your workshop is fantastic I'm very jealous.

You’re doing great so far. I think you will enjoy ship building, it’s tedious work, but it’s still wood working! But then, there is rigging...but hey, let’s not worry about that just yet.

Total Build Time Thus Far = 11 hrs 53 min.

Added some cannon rigging although I have to figure out how to tie a knot to hook it to the ship. Also fabbed some cannon hold downs out of solder wire that I hammered flat and shaped to fit D4F4F944-6E3C-4532-A312-12FE819D7DEE.jpeg
Planking is progressing even though I have no idea what I am doing, just winging it using information from this site. Also been fairing the planking as I go along. Seems to be working out. Any glaring errors or omissions you guys see? Also, what type of wood filler do you guys use?

E27FDF55-7F98-41B4-99A7-0E1875F1AE54.jpegCDAFC290-7169-4C75-8486-E22FC26AC4B5.jpeg

Back