• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Golden Hind - OcCre 1:85

Joined
May 22, 2025
Messages
225
Points
88

Location
Coral Gables, Florida
Finally unboxing the Golden Hind model from OcCre, which I got back in October 2024. My particular interest in this ship comes from its connection to Sir Francis Drake, who attacked Cartagena de Indias in 1586, with the Golden Hind serving as his flagship. This one joins my growing collection of ship models with fascinating stories behind them.

Since I’ve had issues with other kits arriving without all the necessary parts, I’ll take some extra time to carefully check that everything is included. I’d rather catch any missing pieces now than end up putting the build on hold later while waiting for replacements.

tempImageWBaR4x.png

tempImageter4HM.png
 
Moving forward today with the bulk-ward and gun port installation.

tempImagegZBzMS.pngtempImagetv7sXb.pngtempImage6idzZP.png

Everything looks fine until I start installing the gun ports... and then I discover yet another mistake!

tempImage50zrpf.png

One of the great things about modeling is that you learn how to solve your mistakes. In this case, I used a hand saw to cut the bulkhead, and then used a piece of wood to make sure it was flush and flat with the gun port, as it was supposed to be.

tempImageQyCh7A.png

tempImagegee4Q6.png
 
Last edited:
Since we are already in Cartagena visiting family, I set up a work table at my in-laws’ home.
So far this has been my Golden Hind shipyard.

tempImagewHWfbO.png

The backyard table turned out to be the perfect place for sanding, a place to e enjoying the Cartagena weather—with the mosquitoes keeping me company !!

tempImagexOevuu.png


Sanding done!

tempImageR32zOE.png

tempImageXGksy6.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top