Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Dear Grant. I am so glad that you posted the last two pics which allowed us to get such a nice overview of your build. She is looking gorgeous and there is no doubt that it is mission accomplished with regards to your initial goals. This should give you oodles of confidence for the rest of the build.

She's a beauty Grant!
Looks great to me Grant! The problem with treenails, is if you do them to scale, they should not be seen at a distance. But once up close, the extra detail is nice! ;)
Very nice Grant. She is coming along great.

Bill
Wow, that looks some good. Nicely done.

Jan
Excellent work Grant! She looks very nice with all these details. Love it! Thumbs-Up Okay
Dear Grant. I am so glad that you posted the last two pics which allowed us to get such a nice overview of your build. She is looking gorgeous and there is no doubt that it is mission accomplished with regards to your initial goals. This should give you oodles of confidence for the rest of the build.
Thank you everyone for your compliments, support, advise and banter during this build. Adds so much to this hobby. I do appreciate it. Heinrich, I agree with you. At times I get so focused on sending close ups that I forget to step back and send the overall image. I am happy with my progress so far....slowly, slowly catch this monkey. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon. Ricochet rabbit - nickname curtesy of Paul ( @dockattner ) , at it again.

In a previous post I showed the triangle scuppers on the out side of the hull. Diagram :
View attachment 372591
I “stole” this from Sasha’s incredible Victory log (@Alexander74 ). Side note : this probably the best Victory I have seen being built and as I built one it is of particular interest.

One can see for each scupper a lead scupper has to be on the deck by the waterway. At my scale I could not get all the detail so a Simple hole was drilled into the deck keeping symmetry with the scupper hull holes.

View attachment 372606
I also jumped around again and added some bulkwark supports to my lower bulwarks ( so many to make on this xebec) on the poop deck .
View attachment 372607
Finally I some overall pics of progress thus far. I do think the “treenails” on the lower hull below the wale was a waste of effort as they can hardly be seen. (Only on portside- I’m not sure I will do these on the starboard side - a lot of effort for naught)

View attachment 372608View attachment 372609
Still not sexy Paul but getting there ;) .

A load of fettling and clean up and some poly to do so I think she will be good.

Cheers Grant
She is looking beautiful, Grant!
Regards, Peter

Just catching up again now Grant. You are modelling ships like a salty and experienced old hand now, well done indeed. Maybe honing your skills on your tough first-assignment Victory has pushed you up the ranks in quick order. I am really looking forward to watching how your Xebec progresses Thumbsup

She is looking beautiful, Grant!
Regards, Peter
Just catching up again now Grant. You are modelling ships like a salty and experienced old hand now, well done indeed. Maybe honing your skills on your tough first-assignment Victory has pushed you up the ranks in quick order. I am really looking forward to watching how your Xebec progresses Thumbsup
Good morning Mark and Peter. She is starting to transform from the Ugly into presentable. I have plenty finishing to do on my work thus far but that’s how I build. I don’t know why I can’t finish one thing first and then move on…..hmmm. As Justin (my son) would say…”Dad you have issues” ROTF. Cheers Grant

Good morning. This morning I started adding the bulwark stanchions. As my bulkwarks angle out a little more than the Cazador I had to bevel the bottom of each stanchion so it fitted flush. The bulwarks being painted meant that I had to use CA glue so minimal time to line these up was allowed and I could not get any CA glue on the walnut- was fun:D.
61A7490C-0328-43D3-900F-255BB837CCE7.jpeg69846CCC-7EFB-4820-8076-6EB89C92EA4F.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good morning. This morning I started adding the bulwark stanchions. As my bulkwarks angle out a little more than the Cazador I had to bevel the bottom of each stanchion so it fitted flush. The bulwarks being painted meant that I had to use CA glue so minimal time to line these up was allowed and I could not get any CA glue on the walnut- was fun:D.
View attachment 372871View attachment 372872
Cheers Grant
Just lovely, this Grant Xebec.
What caught my eye though is the alignment of your treenails, the drains and the stanchions.
My simple mind tells me that treenails should align with the stanchions (or frames) and that drains most definitely should not, so now that same mind of mine tells me I am missing something essential...

Just lovely, this Grant Xebec.
What caught my eye though is the alignment of your treenails, the drains and the stanchions.
My simple mind tells me that treenails should align with the stanchions (or frames) and that drains most definitely should not, so now that same mind of mine tells me I am missing something essential...
Good morning Johan. Thanks. Your mind is correct and I did not even think of those technical aspects. If I had to do all the treenails on the hull to align with the frames, there would be plenty more. Some of my scuppers (2 on each side) are by the treenails which couldn’t happen on a real ship- luckily Grants Xebec is a 1:60 model :D. Cheers Grant

Good morning. I am OVER drilling holes in the hull and making fake treenails. So this weekend I decided to play on the deck. Ricochet Rabbit at it again!

Continuing with the bulwark supports : I changed these completely to look more “Piratey’” for Simon the Dancers Xebec. My Xebec was looking a little like a fake Le Requin and needs some unique aspects. I also want it busy…..

The Cazador look :
2E830533-FF94-415B-B41A-2BFD81B18B15.jpeg
Grants Xebec (WIP) : Instead of a solid strake at the bottom of the gun ports I framed each gun port and the strake (used for the rigging later) is higher up. Some of Grants fake nails added to the rigging strakes.
88D3FD6E-AEE6-4171-A16B-BF0DF3A51D79.jpeg37AE8BF4-366C-41AC-8FA5-FD605EF8717A.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Grant, thanks for your support for my La Salamandre. Your Xebec looks fantastic and it’s great you are customising her as you go. I don’t know how you manage to model - it’s obvious you put in a lot of hours - and maintain such a detailed log as well. This could be the log which launches a thousand Xebecs…

Grant, thanks for your support for my La Salamandre. Your Xebec looks fantastic and it’s great you are customising her as you go. I don’t know how you manage to model - it’s obvious you put in a lot of hours - and maintain such a detailed log as well. This could be the log which launches a thousand Xebecs…
Good morning. Thank you. I do put a fair amount of time in. I wake up every morning around 4am…not by choice it happened after a knock to my head in a car accident, and I play in my shipyard until I leave for the office around 9. It is rather good in a way as I have the rest of the day to be with family, work a little and do my other activities. Cheers Grant

Back