Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

You have to be able to be satisfied with what you've accomplished, if not, redo time...

Started on the first parts for a Fokker Spin at 1:48 and running some tests on "how to". Progress is antagonizingly slow; there's a lot to consider and discover.
Sounds great Johan. Are you going to make a build log? It would like to follow . Cheers Grant

All of you are wrong except @dockattner Paul. A real man has the ability to charm either his mother, wife or whoever else can help him, into doing just that. @GrantTyler Grant, next time I'm in SA, I'll teach you! ROTF However, what a great photograph - and that's no joke!
Yes, Heinrich. I’ve seen Anna’s workmanship on ship’s boats.

Your robands look perfect. Fun but challenging little buggers
Good morning Daniel. Thank you. I got lazy and also wanted a regular pattern on my yards with the strappings so there are fewer robands than what would have been used if went for accuracy. :D
Yes, Heinrich. I’ve seen Anna’s workmanship on ship’s boats.
True story.
Cheers Grant

Good morning. I hoisted the main and Mizzen . I have threaded some of the running rigging however nothing is tied off.
76B58A17-E512-4476-A558-4ECF9682AF97.jpeg
02CD7D23-7D79-4D66-BF89-AE1E8804FBBB.jpeg
There are way too many loose ropes hanging around so decided I can tie off the halyard (beige 6mm running through ramshead tackle) and the parrel halyard (6mm brown) on the Mizzen.
624C1902-24CF-4DA6-93F8-F3AD58AD9A86.jpeg

Added another cleat to base of Mizzen mast.
The brown 6mm was too large to have a Hank hanging from the cleat and the falls too long. I have place it on the deck. A rope coil won’t work here as there is no deck space. I quite like the look.
D7FB2C70-B602-4CB6-A2B5-C4515478E1B6.jpeg
Cheers Grant
PS: my hanks are fake. I did attempt to actually use the falls from the halyards themselves and this became a &@!# show. One day I will get my hanks using actual falls, just not this day.ROTF.

Sorry Grant, where did you find this scheme of reef lines? I'm trying to visualize the reefing process and the upper reef points seem completely useless to me.

View attachment 437551

This one looks more logical.
Good morning Vladimir. Too late… ROTF. I used the kit instructions for these and Peters Cazador as a guide. Your picture looks way better and as you say would be more logical. I can’t redo them I made the cringes in the bolt rope in these positions. I could move the blocks on the yard to change the line flow which would help a little. Thanks for this. Cheers Grant

Sorry Grant, where did you find this scheme of reef lines? I'm trying to visualize the reefing process and the upper reef points seem completely useless to me.

View attachment 437551

This one looks more logical.
Actually..thinking about it, if I redo the blocks and add one extra from the bottom clew I could achieve this. I will have a look when I get home. Thanks

Now to your sail: the reef lines were the same color as the running rigging (light), there was no line of lines near the yard, and on this particular sail the question is, were there any?
I wrote to you about this 5 pages ago ;)
Good afternoon Sasha. I recall your post however I had already made the Mizzen. To make all the sails uniform I am continuing with this fault, although all the Xebec models I have viewed have the reef lines up by the yard. (See pic)
3123F4C0-695E-45B7-A24B-93C2E6EB559D.jpeg

It is probably incorrect as I am not familiar with the historical accuracy of these sails. I have done the monkey see monkey do approach. The actual “clew lines” or reefing running rigging I am going to change as Vladimir’s picture shows, although most builds have it as mine currently shows. My reef line colour is the same as my running rigging although the photo does make them look darker.

Thanks for your input, I always enjoy learning from you.
Cheers Grant

Back