Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

And the great thing about it all is that No 1: There will be no Xebec like yours - indeed Grant's Xebec, and No 2: with the improvisation comes experience which will stand you in excellent stead for future rigging projects. leaps and bounds ... leaps and bounds ...First Place Metal

And the great thing about it all is that No 1: There will be no Xebec like yours - indeed Grant's Xebec, and No 2: with the improvisation comes experience which will stand you in excellent stead for future rigging projects. leaps and bounds ... leaps and bounds ...First Place Metal
Good morning Heinrich. True story. One day I will face the challenge of a historical replica….it’s not my personality however it is on my agenda. I admire some of the scratch builders who get it right- talented fellows. Cheers Grant

Good morning. I am sewing on my bolt rope - promise….10 min sewing , get bored do something else….Redface

I started setting up the rigging for main mast. All held with rope strops and toggles so the yard comes off easily.
44F0E74D-FA42-4237-B5EF-86753E2F7A3E.jpeg6B318E59-CF5C-4EFB-85DC-E6E89928B792.jpeg
The parrel is a challenge. I can see why Peter made his own one. I’m using the kit parts. Painted the ugly metal cast the same colour as my bulkwark. Actually looks good against the mast. F882CA0F-E489-4C5E-99B2-CE6843C319D4.jpeg
I had to fit this to the yard before the sail goes on for obvious reasons. I am not going to fit this correctly, as the way Occre designed this it hangs unattractively . I will rig this aesthetically rather than working rigging.

A long way off….sew, sew and more sew still to go.Sleep.
Cheers Grant

Hi Grant! I just wanted to let you know that with your sewing, you are in the best possible company. My mentor @pietsan Piet Sanders, is also learning how to sew!

IMG_1972.JPG
A rare glimpse of the master at work - it just shows, we are never too old or know too much to learn!

Exquisite work Grant.
Wow, I spend my days doing something other than checking in to SOS and viola I'm four pages behind on your log. My comments on your progress can be summed up as ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Jan
Those parrels look cool - once in place, I am sure they will be a very nice touch to the overall rigging process.
Good morning Guys. Thank you kindly.
Hi Grant! I just wanted to let you know that with your sewing, you are in the best possible company. My mentor @pietsan Piet Sanders, is also learning how to sew!

View attachment 435492
A rare glimpse of the master at work - it just shows, we are never too old or know too much to learn!
Good morning Heinrich. I feel like I’ve joined some brilliant company here.
Cheers Grant

Good morning. Ricochet Rabbit at his best. I’ve set up 3 areas and hop around these as I get bored with each aspect :

Sewing the bolt rope - worse than ratlines
8FF773B3-C19C-4DAB-8F5D-C36101F320A5.jpeg
Sewing the Foresail
68998E39-3D79-4E15-AF1D-67399D3DF37F.jpeg
Preparing the yards - the 2 blocks on main yard - all my running rigging is tan with light blocks.
12661F6C-4961-4442-97C1-1E5DE7CC752F.jpeg
REDO: I did not like the dark brown reef lines. Took the Mizzen sail off (very easy just 2 toggles) and redid them tan. I would have liked to move the upper lines closer to the yard however the holes in sail were too big. Will correct this on the other two sails. Much happier now:D
7FAE2FBF-BFCC-44BB-B307-64780E9022C2.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good morning. Ricochet Rabbit at his best. I’ve set up 3 areas and hop around these as I get bored with each aspect :

Sewing the bolt rope - worse than ratlines
View attachment 435697
Sewing the Foresail
View attachment 435698
Preparing the yards - the 2 blocks on main yard - all my running rigging is tan with light blocks.
View attachment 435699
REDO: I did not like the dark brown reef lines. Took the Mizzen sail off (very easy just 2 toggles) and redid them tan. I would have liked to move the upper lines closer to the yard however the holes in sail were too big. Will correct this on the other two sails. Much happier now:D
View attachment 435700
Cheers Grant
Step by step a better outcome, Grant. The reef lines looks better now.
Regards, Peter

That sail already looked great, but now it is even better looking Grant.
I like the change in color of the reef lines. It's the small things...
Good afternoon Paul and Peter (Ha “fly away Peter, come back Paul” came to mind…):rolleyes:. It took a while however the dark brown was just ugly and Sasha informed me that tan or the same colour rope as running rigging was used…never stop learning. Cheers Grant

Good evening. While “blocking” and threading (not tying off) the running rigging this happened. I ran the reef line through the cringe on sail and blocks on the yard and clipped crocodile clips to the ends to keep them from flopping about.

These pulled the reef lines up and made this :
View attachment 434548View attachment 434549

By chance a “semi furled” sail arrived. I rather like the look and May present all the sails this way…..I think it will look cool and opens up the ship to see the decks etc more…

Cheers Grant
Beautiful idea, Grant! It's a method of expression that allows the viewer the benefit of all of the immaculate detailing you painstakingly invested in the decks and sails.

Good afternoon. I don’t really understand how these large/very large lateen sails on a Xebec actually work. Should the ship tack or go about then I would guess the front end of the yard is pulled behind the mast and moved to the other side by the block and tackle system attached to the bottom of the yard. The parrel and halyard would be loosened to a fair degree to enable this.

The big question is there is not much room inside the shrouds/stays for the sail to do much other than “close haul”. I saw a picture of the yards and sails of a Xebec on the outside of the shrouds/stays which makes more sense from a sailing point of view giving the sail way more movement on different tacks of sail.
2960A667-4073-4871-9B14-011A221AA965.jpeg
On every model I have viewed the yards and sails are built inside the stays.

Fitting them on the outside raises other problems- the parrel would not be able to function and there is no way these big lateen sails on my Xebec could just function by the halyard alone…..

Hmmm….??

Back