Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

Good evening.
The sail is attached to my yard. I used the method circled below. I went for simple - maybe lazy, maybe wise :D ;)

I added reef lines. I don’t like the material of this thread, synthetic and does not hang well. Unfortunately these are my only dark brown left at this diameter so if I redo these they will be cotton tan…..thinking about this.

D5DC3151-AE4F-4902-BA8C-0613D21805A9.jpeg
A8F8F013-6E31-4ABC-92CB-316599C48B1C.jpegF3FF3178-DE5D-4C40-A922-A81A055B169E.jpeg

C837CDF8-D750-4A36-8DB5-28F0CC0089D9.jpeg
May be a while before my next post. Researching how these sails are attached to the mast. Very different from the Victory and in my view not easy. The Occre instructions are too simplified. I have read Peters @Pter log and I sort get it….just sort of…ROTF

I only have kit parts left and not sure how many mods I need to do or can do.

Cheers Grant

Good evening.
The sail is attached to my yard. I used the method circled below. I went for simple - maybe lazy, maybe wise :D ;)

I added reef lines. I don’t like the material of this thread, synthetic and does not hang well. Unfortunately these are my only dark brown left at this diameter so if I redo these they will be cotton tan…..thinking about this.

View attachment 434049
View attachment 434052View attachment 434051

View attachment 434050
May be a while before my next post. Researching how these sails are attached to the mast. Very different from the Victory and in my view not easy. The Occre instructions are too simplified. I have read Peters @Pter log and I sort get it….just sort of…ROTF

I only have kit parts left and not sure how many mods I need to do or can do.

Cheers Grant
Grant, hello!
Previously, about 5 pages ago, you asked for advice on fabric for sails...:) in our country they mainly use percale for this. But I don’t know if such fabric exists in your country, so I didn’t write anything about it. Now to your sail: the reef lines were the same color as the running rigging (light), there was no line of lines near the yard, and on this particular sail the question is, were there any?

You have don a great job on your sail Grant
Thank you again. Im pretty chuffed with them. Cheers Grant
Grant, hello!
Previously, about 5 pages ago, you asked for advice on fabric for sails...:) in our country they mainly use percale for this. But I don’t know if such fabric exists in your country, so I didn’t write anything about it. Now to your sail: the reef lines were the same color as the running rigging (light), there was no line of lines near the yard, and on this particular sail the question is, were there any?
Good morning Sasha. Thanks for this. I did ask the fabric lady if she had Percale and she had no idea what it was. We selected a fine light cotton thread with around a 60gsm. It is working out ok. Yes you are correct. I should add a reef line by the yard otherwise it would not work very well when they came to reef the sail :D. I think I will redo the reef lines. I dont like the synthetic. My running rigging is tan so hopefully I have enough thread to redo these....and have enough for the big sails. We shall see.... Cheers Grant

Geez, I got behind again on your log. Great work on the sail, I'm impressed by yout tenacity. I don't think sewing is my future, as I noted before I would need a very big - super huge bad word jar.

Jan

Good morning. This morning I put it all together- Here is the Mizzen yard and sail rigged. NOT TIED OFF.

Pics from all angles:
8157A597-20E2-4CB5-8402-9942F00AEBF8.jpeg5F8D25AD-49D6-49A0-A272-D5C6D102FE51.jpegEE9039EB-FB54-4F72-988E-D9A4F7E4A903.jpegD796A57D-6B7A-4A86-A36B-103F4F0EA859.jpeg
I am not going to finish or tie off until all the main and for mast yards are on so that I can align them all properly.

E.g. I think I need to move the Mizzen back and lower (indicated in red) however will only know once all are done:
2FE16335-6EB3-4087-8479-5CB5428F1044.jpeg
Cheers Grant

41FCA038-4352-4441-8EA6-F81B374DBA0A.jpeg

I just love to see how you embrace all these "firsts" in such an effortless and nonchalant way. The sail looks superb, but I think I agree with you re the mizzen's location - on the other hand, it's difficult to tell viewing it in isolation.

Good morning. This morning I put it all together- Here is the Mizzen yard and sail rigged. NOT TIED OFF.

Pics from all angles:
View attachment 434450View attachment 434451View attachment 434452View attachment 434449
I am not going to finish or tie off until all the main and for mast yards are on so that I can align them all properly.

E.g. I think I need to move the Mizzen back and lower (indicated in red) however will only know once all are done:
View attachment 434448
Cheers Grant

View attachment 434453
The rigging looks impressive, Grant.
Regards, Peter

Good morning. Looks very good.
The rigging looks impressive, Grant.
Regards, Peter
Hey Grant Amazing progress and beautiful details in every aspect of of the rigging and sail.
this is a great reference to learn from.
Cheers
Wonderful work on the mizzen yard and sail.
Nicely done, Grant!
Top notch work Grant, I like those shiny parrel beads as well.
Good afternoon. Thanks guys. I’m pretty chuffed and I think I will make this all come out pretty nice. I need to do something about the reef lines. It’s the only thread I have left however they just don’t sit well. (Not spending any more Tom on importing anything for this build. ). I’m thinking about PVa and water and running each reef line through to make them hold position…..N Boer maak n plan. :D .

Cheers Grant

I just love to see how you embrace all these "firsts" in such an effortless and nonchalant way. The sail looks superb, but I think I agree with you re the mizzen's location - on the other hand, it's difficult to tell viewing it in isolation.
Good afternoon Heinrich. Ahh I do a little research, make a plan and just go for it. What’s the worst that can happen….a redoROTF. Yep the positioning is way out however it’s just how I tension each line for it to shift. Now onto the main sail….this is about 4x the size so going to take a while. Hopefully I get the weathering and stain similar. Cheers Grant

Back