Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

Good afternoon Heinrich. Ahh I do a little research, make a plan and just go for it. What’s the worst that can happen….a redoROTF. Yep the positioning is way out however it’s just how I tension each line for it to shift. Now onto the main sail….this is about 4x the size so going to take a while. Hopefully I get the weathering and stain similar. Cheers Grant
Full confidence in you, my friend. As you say: n Boer maak n plan ...

Wow Grant, this is such impressive work, those sails are really well done and all your rigging is so neat, tight and tidy.
Good evening Roger. Thank you. Plenty to do on this Mizzen, however I need to get the main and fore sails made before I finish off here- alignment/symmetry of the yards is a must on these Xebecs. Cheers Grant

Good evening. While “blocking” and threading (not tying off) the running rigging this happened. I ran the reef line through the cringe on sail and blocks on the yard and clipped crocodile clips to the ends to keep them from flopping about.

These pulled the reef lines up and made this :
88B35506-11B0-4FE7-AD2C-7B3822BC72F8.jpeg972569B4-356B-4254-8944-B1CB0FAB9B9A.jpeg

By chance a “semi furled” sail arrived. I rather like the look and May present all the sails this way…..I think it will look cool and opens up the ship to see the decks etc more…

Cheers Grant

Good evening. While “blocking” and threading (not tying off) the running rigging this happened. I ran the reef line through the cringe on sail and blocks on the yard and clipped crocodile clips to the ends to keep them from flopping about.

View attachment 434548View attachment 434549

By chance a “semi furled” sail arrived. I rather like the look and May present all the sails this way…..I think it will look cool and opens up the ship to see the decks etc more…

Cheers Grant
Think you are on to something there Grant, reefed up like that looks good and as you say lets a lot more be seen.

Cheers JJ..

Cheers Grant
As you perhaps knows, I am a fan of reefed of furled sails. Your semi-furled looks very nice. It would be a nice option, not often done by this type of ship.
Regards, Peter

Simply wonderful work Grant, well done son Thumbsup
Thanks Mark
Think you are on to something there Grant, reefed up like that looks good and as you say lets a lot more be seen.

Cheers JJ..
As you perhaps knows, I am a fan of reefed of furled sails. Your semi-furled looks very nice. It would be a nice option, not often done by this type of ship.
Regards, Peter
Very impressive work Grant, ilove the way this sail turns out, the way it furled up is great looking
Good evening Jack, Peter and Peter. I really like the semi furled look and with some playing with sail folds etc it will look really cool. I need to see how the larger sails will look like semi furled first - I am holding thumbs . Thanks for compliments and checking into my Xebec. Cheers Grant

Looking great, Grant. I learned early on when rigging the sails on my current build not to tie anything off until absolutely sure - pull one line and everything changes.

Impressive work on the sail / sewing. Must be a brave man to post a picture of yourself behind a sewing machine. :)
Love your parrel construction, better than mine for sure!

Peter
Good morning Peter. Man coming from you this is a massive compliment. Thanks. I am not really in agreement with you as your Xebec is the standard we all try just to get close to. Ha my picture behind the sewing machine......you do notice the thumbs down ROTF. Thanks again Peter. Cheers Grant
Looking great, Grant. I learned early on when rigging the sails on my current build not to tie anything off until absolutely sure - pull one line and everything changes.
Hi Graham. True story. Thanks. Cheers Grant
Very natural looking mizzen sail, young man. I rather like it too!
Thanks Heinrich. Working on the main sail.....whew if my swear jar was full on the mizzen I need a swear barrel now. ROTF. Cheers Grant

Cheers Grant
So it begins. Just this glimps give me a picture how awesome it will look when finished

Good afternoon. Busy making the main sail. Pretty much same same as the Mizzen just way bigger- going to take a while.

Every once in a while I decide to do something else.

The ramshead blocks. I have modified the kit blocks. I have nothing left to make anything else so it is kit product from here on. These where very bulky and I did not like the look so modified.
D368EFE1-97B2-4CD4-BC8C-620F207F8AB3.jpegB364B2BD-1420-416F-8BC2-AAFD32C0F277.jpegAD989B54-B107-457B-A974-7209ADE0A492.jpeg
PS my blocks are not fitted, I just put them there for effect. May use smaller ones.

Cheers Grant

Those blocks look great Grant. I now have to go find my nautical dictionary and rigging books to read up on “”ramshead blocks”.
Good afternoon Roger. Thanks. Ha, all these terms. I was looking at the art of rigging again…..so manyo_O. Cheers Grant
Great looking blocks Grant. CAF's Le Requin Chebec has a very instructive view of this type blocking in their instructions section.
Good afternoon Daniel. Thank you kindly. I have looked at some sections of Ancre’s monograph and the Le Requin has quite a different configuration- has more sheaves per block and a centre inner block. The Parrel rigging is also different to what I am going to do. Similar though. I have to use the kit parts from here on in (I have no more wood) although I am not using the rigging plan from Occre. A bit of a combination. Having fun designing it….Cheers Grant

Back