Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

In Harland there is a little explanation of the Mizzen. That is almost the same in handling. Maybe it helps understanding.

View attachment 436319
View attachment 436320
Good morning. Thank you. This is my understanding of the use of the lateen sail and I see it working for a small Mizzen sail. Even Harland points out that when the mizzen sails got larger it became ineffective and difficult to manage. To operate the main and fore sail on the Xebec in this manner would be close to impossible if the yard is secured inside the stays/shrouds. Sailing downwind “Goosewinging” as Harland puts it, the yard would not rotate sufficiently and the sail itself would have an issue with the aft stays being so far from the mast. Maybe the sail is pulled through in front of the stays - the pressure on the halyard toggle would be massive as The parrel would also have to be completely loosened. Rigging the yard outside the stays would also create a major when issue tacking. They obviously did it I’m just not getting it ROTF . There is so little info on these ships it is often left to interpretation and guess work.

Anyway for my model I will rig the yard the accepted way inside the stays.

Cheers Grant

Good morning. Thank you. This is my understanding of the use of the lateen sail and I see it working for a small Mizzen sail. Even Harland points out that when the mizzen sails got larger it became ineffective and difficult to manage. To operate the main and fore sail on the Xebec in this manner would be close to impossible if the yard is secured inside the stays/shrouds. Sailing downwind “Goosewinging” as Harland puts it, the yard would not rotate sufficiently and the sail itself would have an issue with the aft stays being so far from the mast. Maybe the sail is pulled through in front of the stays - the pressure on the halyard toggle would be massive as The parrel would also have to be completely loosened. Rigging the yard outside the stays would also create a major when issue tacking. They obviously did it I’m just not getting it ROTF . There is so little info on these ships it is often left to interpretation and guess work.

Anyway for my model I will rig the yard the accepted way inside the stays.

Cheers Grant
Been there, done that. Had exactly the same questions during my built. It’s so frustrating from time to time when the Information you need isn’t available or almost impossible to find. I’m feeling with you buddy!

Hi Grant! I just wanted to let you know that with your sewing, you are in the best possible company. My mentor @pietsan Piet Sanders, is also learning how to sew!

View attachment 435492
A rare glimpse of the master at work - it just shows, we are never too old or know too much to learn!
Sewing your own sails is oddly satisfying, once you've established a working method with satisfactory results.
(I am glad to be in the company of others, learning to handle a sewing machine and spending hours sewing one's sails.)

Been there, done that. Had exactly the same questions during my built. It’s so frustrating from time to time when the Information you need isn’t available or almost impossible to find. I’m feeling with you buddy!
Good morning Peter. True story. I will just stay with the “tried and tested “ version like everyone else. Cheers Grant
I'm with you; while in itself the semi-furled sail looks great, I just need to see the whole picture, before giving it a thumbs up.
Good morning Johan. Ditto. It does mean I have to make and hoist all the sails and then play with what I like.
Sewing your own sails is oddly satisfying, once you've established a working method with satisfactory results.
(I am glad to be in the company of others, learning to handle a sewing machine and spending hours sewing one's sails.)
Hmmmm……I think the only reasons I made my own are : I had to try it out and I do like getting them more accurate than the kit horrors. Sewing on bolt lines and attaching reef lines are kill joy.o_O.
Cheers Grant

Sail progress:
I’m pretty chuffed with the look I’m getting. Coffee stained and then crumpled and washed to make them a little lighter. A dirty of white. As you see with the Mizzen when you tie it to the yard it does loose some of it creases etc - pity.

B0015EB8-FEA8-41BF-8261-E6B96C3B29CC.jpeg596237EA-2619-4D79-AF52-F638BAA61359.jpeg61A3EE2E-C0C2-4390-A84C-9FA49D84BEB8.jpeg2B9B7C25-45BF-44C6-A881-C29C21A61F3A.jpegEBB2EEDB-9783-4765-95EE-B5225107605F.jpeg

Parrels : Comparison between the main and fore parrels. The kit plans use the same size for both however the fore mast parrel is smaller in all the diagrams I can find. I cut off one of the hoops with my dremel and reduced the size.
BCFEB633-8AD8-4843-95AF-36A9ED13AC67.jpeg7AC348B0-860F-4897-86AC-44968C2AE1AC.jpeg
Now the bolt rope, edging etc, stain and yard prep on fore sail to do. Then plenty reef lines……Sleep.

Cheers Grant

@Ptèr Peter told you he "feels for you", building something and trying to figure it out with little or no information available. Well ... make that a second person "feeling for you". Your call to rig it in the accepted way and to move on, was the right one. (By the way, those yards of yours are magnificent looking. ) I Have no doubt that when the "fat lady sings", Grant's Xebec will be there with the very best of them!

Looks great Grant! I opted out of sewing the bolt rope to the edge of the sail for the reasons of scale and tedium - but it sure does add a nice authentic feel!
Good afternoon Paul. Thanks- Sewing the bolt rope is probably my number 1 dislike aspect of modeling thus far. Could be rigging cannons and ratlines are in my distant memory….…:rolleyes:. I’m really happy with the sails and hoping the look and feel stays once they go on the ship.
@Ptèr Peter told you he "feels for you", building something and trying to figure it out with little or no information available. Well ... make that a second person "feeling for you". Your call to rig it in the accepted way and to move on, was the right one. (By the way, those yards of yours are magnificent looking. ) I Have no doubt that when the "fat lady sings", Grant's Xebec will be there with the very best of them!
Good afternoon Heinrich. Thank you. It is frustrating as with my Victory all the rigging must work, and I enjoy that. I will figure it out even if it is Grants way ;).
Cheers Grant

ENOUGH SEWING…..Speechless

Good afternoon. The last 2 days I have had a virus with painful swollen glands so lost myself in ship building :

Made some more decorations for Grants Xebec. The are super fragile with some aspects being 0.2mm thick. Had some breakages.

3mm x 0.5mm for ships boat- I have also decided to redo the oarlocks they look kak.
D15D6AA2-A5F6-44F0-8170-FA2F35ED5429.jpeg
6DED1C2A-FB84-4122-B2C9-8C1E93300538.jpeg
419DD84F-F59C-4943-A655-EE7B62DF7055.jpeg
The main decorations :
0EA12510-01D5-4376-AB06-31A73E1E258D.jpegDB7D0A4C-035B-4D41-9223-A2FD3476DC32.jpeg4B05BF04-2EE1-40E8-B61C-52DF97EADFFD.jpeg
I also decided to remove the eagle, he too looked kakROTF.
Had loads of fun today …..maybe was the painkillers….ROTF
Cheers Grant

Totally Johan and I’m not done yet. All those aspects which were ok however made me feel “hmmmm”….are going. I think the tedious sewing made me look to do other things or crazyROTF. How is your airplane considerations going?
Cheers Grant
You have to be able to be satisfied with what you've accomplished, if not, redo time...

Started on the first parts for a Fokker Spin at 1:48 and running some tests on "how to". Progress is antagonizingly slow; there's a lot to consider and discover.

Back