Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

I sent Christo and Evert the pic of you behind the sewing machine. Christo wants to know if he can bring you a pair of trousers that need to be taken in somewhat! ROTF

Seriously, my friend - the sails look great, and the hand sewing looks even better to me than what you accomplished with the sewing machine! TRUE STORY! Thumbsup I do take my hat off to you. I will never attempt that.

Good afternoon.

Ok….my first sail. No redo’s I’m putting on what I get.

View attachment 433507View attachment 433508View attachment 433509View attachment 433510View attachment 433513

I will stain and weather the sail after the bolt rope, cringes etc are done so the rope doesn’t look too clean and tidy.

Let’s see what happens.
Cheers Grant

View attachment 433512
Grant! That is exactly AWESOME sail work! Hand sewing the bolt rope is top shelf work too!

Good afternoon.

View attachment 433507View attachment 433508View attachment 433509View attachment 433510View attachment 433513

I will stain and weather the sail after the bolt rope, cringes etc are done so the rope doesn’t look too clean and tidy.

Let’s see what happens.
Cheers Grant

View attachment 433512
YES, he did it .......... And the hand sewed bolt rope can't be better, Grant. Chapeau!
Regards, Peter

Good afternoon.

Let’s see what happens.
Cheers Grant

View attachment 433512
Nothing to be ashamed about. For my next sails I’ll need a Grant special workshop “making sails”.

Good afternoon.

Let’s see what happens.
Cheers Grant

View attachment 433512
ahuh! your been attending night school sewing classes and keeping it secret from members. ;) -------- very impressive sail making and may it be added some really perfect sewing. Hand sewing the bolt rope just puts the icing on the cake to your talents and ability. All this work with a smile and hidden 'Swear Jar" well done and cheers.

I sent Christo and Evert the pic of you behind the sewing machine. Christo wants to know if he can bring you a pair of trousers that need to be taken in somewhat! ROTF

Seriously, my friend - the sails look great, and the hand sewing looks even better to me than what you accomplished with the sewing machine! TRUE STORY! Thumbsup I do take my hat off to you. I will never attempt that.
Good afternoon Heinrich. That is funny. I think Evert will look like our reputable Melkboss car guards after my work on his pants….ROTF
Grant! That is exactly AWESOME sail work! Hand sewing the bolt rope is top shelf work too!
Thanks Daniel. I hope it all comes out good. Takes a long time and don’t feel like a redo…
YES, he did it .......... And the hand sewed bolt rope can't be better, Grant. Chapeau!
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter
Nothing to be ashamed about. For my next sails I’ll need a Grant special workshop “making sails”.
Ha Johan….I’m still all over the place with this sail. Probably the most difficult aspect of model ships in my experience thus far….holding thumbs.
As for me, I prefer to glue sails :)
Good afternoon Vladimir. It is no doubt easier however I wanted a little untidy look and I knew my sewing would do that all on its own…. I also see it is the more “authentic “ way to make sails.
ahuh! your been attending night school sewing classes and keeping it secret from members. ;) -------- very impressive sail making and may it be added some really perfect sewing. Hand sewing the bolt rope just puts the icing on the cake to your talents and ability. All this work with a smile and hidden 'Swear Jar" well done and cheers.
Thank you kindly sir. It has been fun learning this although I have to admit my first sail is riddled with errors and some untidy sewing. Hopefully I get it to look ok for my ship.
Looks amazing
Thank you Greg.
Cheers Grant

Good job Grant
Definitely a great learning experience
Good evening Gilbert…,true story and I’m learning by trial and error… more error yho:D.
Well, what can i say,after all these comments,......................Great sewing skils Grant, it almost looks like you are doing this for a living :) :)
Wow thank you. I have bumbled through this experience and I will hopefully make a better job on sail 2 and 3. Cheers Grant

Good evening.

Ok…..here it is. Not what I expected, however I have learned what not to do….

Don’t use synthetic cotton….it does not dye/stain(although the contract on the reef lines looks cool).
Don’t just sew the bolt rope full throttle - make sure there is a pattern to the sewing.
Don’t forget to do the cringes when doing the bolt rope…or you end up with a “hang on”.
Don’t crumple the sail too tightly when staining….
Etc, etc, etc

Non the less, I am relatively happy with my first sail. I do like the used effect I achieved- like my whole build, I’ve attempted not to have the appearance too “modelly” a little used..

Pics :
Before weathering;
2B5CCFCB-E7A5-408C-AD32-2045DDA0B14A.jpeg914A2186-E58A-42E3-86DF-AEC4F276E426.jpeg8AFEDDB6-A176-4CAA-A586-10E788BF719F.jpeg
After:
E98175A6-EEDF-45F6-A50B-AAEEB93B5224.jpegFDADE537-9A95-48A2-B317-6F6F11A44F6B.jpeg756DC308-C616-4387-9868-05259A1EFAD3.jpegC203571B-618C-4969-915D-F5C505931492.jpegCB4E16F8-CB09-4377-B327-C25EA847E9DC.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good evening.

Ok…..here it is. Not what I expected, however I have learned what not to do….

Don’t use synthetic cotton….it does not dye/stain(although the contract on the reef lines looks cool).
Don’t just sew the bolt rope full throttle - make sure there is a pattern to the sewing.
Don’t forget to do the cringes when doing the bolt rope…or you end up with a “hang on”.
Don’t crumple the sail too tightly when staining….
Etc, etc, etc

Non the less, I am relatively happy with my first sail. I do like the used effect I achieved- like my whole build, I’ve attempted not to have the appearance too “modelly” a little used..

Pics :
Before weathering;
View attachment 433834View attachment 433835View attachment 433836
After:
View attachment 433837View attachment 433838View attachment 433839View attachment 433840View attachment 433841
Cheers Grant
Practice makes perfect and if you learn from your mistakes you will get good results.
And for sure, this is a very good result, Grant. You can be proud. Waiting for the rigging result ……..
Regards, Peter

Your sail looks authentic and the weathering makes it totally convincing.
I agree with Herman it's a nice sail . Good jobThumbsup
It has a very authentic feel to it Grant! I'd call this one a win.
It has a very authentic feel to it Grant! I'd call this one a win.
Looks good.
It really gives the sail an authentic look. I think.I will try this on my next build although my sewing skills are a little rusty
Good evening. Thank you gentlemen. I cannot say I did not struggle. This is a small sail compared to the other two so if I can get them similar I will be happy.
Practice makes perfect and if you learn from your mistakes you will get good results.
And for sure, this is a very good result, Grant. You can be proud. Waiting for the rigging result ……..
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. See my next post. Spent a lot of time this WE on this sail…

Cheers Grant

Back